Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

According to the Christian worldview:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    OK. So I'll answer "probably not" and "I don't know" - in that order.
    Fair enough. Thanks.

Comment

1. There is nothing wrong with wearing a mask and not wearing a mask. If you have health issues where wearing one is not possible especially then fine.
      2. We should never pray anyone gets the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        See? That wasn't hard (I'm talking to others who were more reticent than you are here).

Thank you.

As a follow-up to the second question (and it wont bother me if you ignore this):

Let's say I want someone to get the virus - deadly or not - because it'd represent Justice. Would there be anything wrong about this according to the Christian worldview?
        For me, the later would be wrong because I am taking on God's role of judge. Also, if the person did get the virus, I can't make the leap to God caused them to get it.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

... is there anything wrong with either of the following? Please explain if your answer if it's something other than "no":

• Not wearing a COVID-19 mask
          • Hoping that someone contracts the virus
          We try to love our neighbours as best we can. That means we try to genuinely consider the interests of others in our day to day interactions and act accordingly.

If not wearing a mask has a realistic possibility of harming our neighbours during our interactions then I’d say that not wearing a mask, in these situations, is wrong.

Hoping someone suffers doesn’t sound right either.

Comment

... is there anything wrong with either of the following? Please explain if your answer if it's something other than "no":

• Not wearing a COVID-19 mask
            • Hoping that someone contracts the virus
            Do Christians really give this that much thought? What next? Angels dancing on a pin?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Thanks for responding, ReformedApologist:

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
              1. There is nothing wrong with wearing a mask and not wearing a mask. If you have health issues where wearing one is not possible especially then fine.
              I want to confirm: are you saying this according to the Christian worldview?

Let me clarify: the same question can be answered differently, according to different systems of thought. A Christian lawyer can answer questions of right and wrong according to secular law or God's law (which is obviously the core of the Christian worldview). So, when I asked my two questions, I wanted to know what you'd think the bible says, or what God says, or what Christian philosophers say - not what modern medicine /virology says

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
              2. We should never pray anyone gets the virus.
              According to Christian theology/doctrine/thought - why?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                For me, the later would be wrong because I am taking on God's role of judge. Also, if the person did get the virus, I can't make the leap to God caused them to get it.
                Well...

This isn't your problem, but there are many Christians who'd want bad things to happen to bad people; many people in general, not just Christians. It's very common to play the role of the judge (even if you defer to God on the subject), and wish that certain people see Justice done.

If you're not one of these people, I accept your answer. You'd be a bit rare, though (and I mean that respectfully)

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  We try to love our neighbours as best we can. That means we try to genuinely consider the interests of others in our day to day interactions and act accordingly.

If not wearing a mask has a realistic possibility of harming our neighbours during our interactions then I’d say that not wearing a mask, in these situations, is wrong.

Hoping someone suffers doesn’t sound right either.
                  That answers what I asked perfectly. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Do Christians really give this that much thought?
                    What a Christian thinks isn't the product of the Christian worldview alone. The thread was asking them to compartmentalize a bit, and answer a question they probably hadn't been asked before.

A small number of them appeared to be offended by the request for introspection. Luckily, the majority of them were much more reasonable.

Comment

What a Christian thinks isn't the product of the Christian worldview alone. The thread was asking them to compartmentalize a bit, and answer a question they probably hadn't been asked before.

A small number of them appeared to be offended by the request for introspection. Luckily, the majority of them were much more reasonable.
                      What the Christians replying to this thread have omitted to recognise is that if they accept only one supreme Creator which, as Isaiah 45.7 makes clear "I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness. I make weal and create woe; I the Lord do all these things" then their Creator is responsible for all the evil in the world.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        What the Christians replying to this thread have omitted to recognise is that if they accept only one supreme Creator which, as Isaiah 45.7 makes clear "I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness. I make weal and create woe; I the Lord do all these things" then their Creator is responsible for all the evil in the world.
                        By evil here, I assume you refer to natural evil and not moral evil?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          By evil here, I assume you refer to natural evil and not moral evil?
                          That would depend on how you interpret that Isaiah verse.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment