Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Weren't most of the Caesars insane?

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've read somewhere that he seemed to go off the rails around the time of the death of Seneca, who was one of his chief advisors.
    IF his unhinging lines up roughly with the death of Seneca, and with a clash with Paul, it could be that Seneca was a moderating influence and Nero blamed Paul, and therefore Christians in some way for his death (we're not dealing with the most stable of people in Nero)

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I dunno - when 'kill Mommy' is on your To Do list, you are probably already pretty far gone.
    Killing off relatives, even close ones, was not exactly something new or unique with Nero. IIRC, it was something his mother did fairly regularly.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The fact he had her killed kinda indicates there was a problem before her death. Doesn't eliminate the hypothesis, however. Some people will descend quickly - others slowly. He could have been on slow descent - killing Mommy might well have sped it up.
    Yeah, nobody ever said he was a good boy.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, maybe I got that wrong - he killed mommy in 59, so....
    The fact he had her killed kinda indicates there was a problem before her death. Doesn't eliminate the hypothesis, however. Some people will descend quickly - others slowly. He could have been on slow descent - killing Mommy might well have sped it up.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    But that was about 62 AD - about the same time Paul was in prison in Rome.
    OK, maybe I got that wrong - he killed mommy in 59, so....

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I dunno - when 'kill Mommy' is on your To Do list, you are probably already pretty far gone.
    But that was about 62 AD - about the same time Paul was in prison in Rome.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    By the way, thanks for the serious responses -- let's PLEASE not let this go to spam or goofy nonsense, OK?
    What?!? And defy the Tweb tradition?

Well... I guess we can wait a little while before spamming smiley mad.gif

Seriously though, the early part of his reign was pretty stable, whether that was due to the influence of his mother and advisors is unknown but he did start deteriorating rapidly after their deaths.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think it's unlikely you will be meeting him in the New Jerusalem.
    Amen and Amen!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The second one being when 2 Timothy was probably written? (Since it appears a lot more pessimistic about his situation on earth).
    I think that's the conventional wisdom.... though I realize I got most of my training from conservative biblical sources.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    He's right up there with some other extremist nutjobs I never want to meet.
    I think it's unlikely you will be meeting him in the New Jerusalem.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    Whether he was demon possessed or not Nero had a particular skill in killing people in cruel and unusual ways. His name can also be 666. Honestly, this guy is one of the scariest historical figures that I know. I still think Czar ivan might be a little more terrifying.
    He's right up there with some other extremist nutjobs I never want to meet.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    It triggered a memory from Seminary WAY back in the day.... one of the points being that Paul's imprisonment in Rome was 'house arrest' where he was allowed to rent his own quarters, but the second imprisonment was not so cushy.
    The second one being when 2 Timothy was probably written? (Since it appears a lot more pessimistic about his situation on earth).

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Whether he was demon possessed or not Nero had a particular skill in killing people in cruel and unusual ways. His name can also be 666. Honestly, this guy is one of the scariest historical figures that I know. I still think Czar ivan might be a little more terrifying.

Leave a comment: