Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Nero, yes. Caligula, yes. "Most" is overstating things quite a bit.
    But they're the ones we remember. Kinda like the problem child in school, right Rogue?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I read an article some time back which made a pretty good case that Caligula wasn't nearly as crazy as he was portrayed. Debauched and depraved, without a doubt? But insane... maybe not so much.

For instance one of the primary examples put forth to illustrate his insanity is that Caligula made his favorite horse, Incitatus, a Roman Senator and even proposed making him a consul.

The story is regarded by some to be fictitious political propaganda of the time but even if true it very well could have been Caligula mocking and ridiculing his political adversaries (principally the Senate).
      Because he always placed the "Senator Incitatus" name badge on the south end of the northbound horse?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But they're the ones we remember. Kinda like the problem child in school, right Rogue?
        I always have been unforgettable

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I always have been unforgettable
          And responsible! Pretty much anything bad that happened --- Rogue was responsible!

Comment

And responsible! Pretty much anything bad that happened --- Rogue was responsible!
            I never get caught for the things I did and often get blamed for stuff I didn't do.

Back in High Skewl one of the Vice Principals, while unsuccessfully trying to give me detention, acknowledged that I didn't do what I had been accused of and exasperatedly added that I get away with so many things I did do. I replied, "fine then catch me doing the things you think I get away with."

They never did

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I never get caught for the things I did and often get blamed for stuff I didn't do.

Back in High Skewl one of the Vice Principals, while unsuccessfully trying to give me detention, acknowledged that I didn't do what I had been accused of and exasperatedly added that I get away with so many things I did do. I replied, "fine then catch me doing the things you think I get away with."

They never did
              I think I mentioned that after passing the civil service exam for police officer, and having been grilled by the Chief and Safety Director, I was told "OK, so you have officially passed muster and will be commissioned, but we have one remaining question that will not affect the outcome". I gulped hard .... the Safety Director looked at a page in his folder, then looked at me over his reading glasses, and asked, "Is it true that you welded a police car to a fire high hydrant your senior year in High School?"

Comment

I think I mentioned that after passing the civil service exam for police officer, and having been grilled by the Chief and Safety Director, I was told "OK, so you have officially passed muster and will be commissioned, but we have one remaining question that will not affect the outcome". I gulped hard .... the Safety Director looked at a page in his folder, then looked at me over his reading glasses, and asked, "Is it true that you welded a police car to a fire high hydrant your senior year in High School?"
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Supernatural intervention would explain why Nero took such an interest in a small religious group that should not have seemed to be that much of a threat to the order of the empire.
                  I don't think one needs demon possession to explain man's penchant for evil and cruelty, unless you want to argue that every brutal tyrant throughout history was possessed by a demon.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I don't think one needs demon possession to explain man's penchant for evil and cruelty, unless you want to argue that every brutal tyrant throughout history was possessed by a demon.
                    No, but it would explain a sudden change in character.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      Er, so would lead poisoning...

I'm not sure that the change is so 'sudden' - but there is some merit to the point.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Lead poisoning? Oh yeah! The Romans would drink wine out of lead bowls. Didn't turn out so good. Anyways, what would go through Nero's mind at the final Judgement? Oh *insert Latin curse word* ?
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          There are any number of things that can explain that as well. To me, demon possession is such an "out there" hypothesis that it's not even worth considering.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Lead poisoning? Oh yeah! The Romans would drink wine out of lead bowls. Didn't turn out so good. Anyways, what would go through Nero's mind at the final Judgement? Oh *insert Latin curse word* ?
                            Rome used lead pipes for plumbing and actually sweetened wine with white lead, as well.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Rome used lead pipes for plumbing and actually sweetened wine with white lead, as well.
                              Humans are stupid. Why does God care about us? We act so dumb! And I bet some fundy atheist will complain that God did not baby proof the Universe for us. Human proof? Is that even possible?
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                More of a problem is that they would have private taps into the water coming into the city through the aqueducts which were often lead pipes.

Comment