Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    So, there have been no eternal moral truths exhibited by Christianity down through the ages, just individual actions perpetrated by the likes of CP.
    I think you must be contending for the "dumbest poster" award, Tassy. You got my vote.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think you must be contending for the "dumbest poster" award, Tassy. You got my vote.
      Is firstfloor being excluded on the account of having already won a lifetime award?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Is firstfloor being excluded on the account of having already won a lifetime award?
        I think firstfloor is just purposely flaky -not dumb.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You're working overtime at trying to sound like an idiot when you really don't have to.
          You’re avoiding the issue with your personal abuse, as you tend to do, and so is CP.

It is a matter of historical record that slavery was justified by Christian slave-owners according to certain cherry-picked texts, e.g. Ephesians, VI, 5-7: "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ".

And the disenfranchisement of women was justified by the likes of texts such as: 1 Timothy 2:12 "I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet".

This is NOT how these and similar texts viewed today because social values have moved on. But, if Christians got it so drastically wrong for so many centuries, how can anyone be sure they haven’t also got it wrong about current social issues such as abortion and homosexuality?
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You’re avoiding the issue with your personal abuse, as you tend to do, and so is CP....
            WAAAAAaaaaannnnnhhhhhhh

Comment

If I were dealing with an honest seeker, I would refer to the impossible faith thesis and the five basic facts concerning the Resurrection, but in this case, that would be like giving pearls to pigs. The little piggy just can't comprehend the value and is upset it is not edible.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                If I were dealing with an honest seeker,
                Seeking what, exactly, the escapist nonsense you like to consider to be true?

I would refer to the impossible faith thesis and the five basic facts concerning the Resurrection,
                Ah, apologists Gary Habermas and Michael Licona strike again with their “proof” of the resurrection.

See Prof. Bart Ehrman: 2009 Debate With Mike Licona: Can Historians Prove the Resurrection of Jesus?

https://ehrmanblog.org/video-ehrman-...a-2009-debate/

AND:

“Even the Catholic Church—home to one billion of the world’s two billion Christians—states in its Catechism: “Although the Resurrection was an historical event that could be verified by the sign of the empty tomb and by the reality of the apostles’ encounters with the risen Christ, still it remains at the very heart of the mystery of faith as something that transcends and surpasses history.”

https://michaelshermer.com/2017/04/h...-resurrection/

WAAAAAaaaaannnnnhhhhhhh
                The standard CP argument, it seems, when incapable of addressing the topic under discussion. Sad.
                Last edited by Tassman; 09-27-2019, 12:02 AM.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  If I were dealing with an honest seeker, I would refer to the impossible faith thesis
                  You mean J.P. Holding's book/web article?

Comment

Sad.
                    You wouldn't have to be if you knew Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                      You mean J.P. Holding's book/web article?
                      In a way, the impossible faith thesis has been around since the book of Acts.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        If I were dealing with an honest seeker, I would refer to the impossible faith thesis and the five basic facts concerning the Resurrection, but in this case, that would be like giving pearls to pigs. The little piggy just can't comprehend the value and is upset it is not edible.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Seeking what, exactly, the escapist nonsense you like to consider to be true?
                          CEPG0BtWoAAlovd.jpg
                          From our perspective, it's the militant atheist who's dealing in escapist nonsense.
                          Ah, apologists Gary Habermas and Michael Licona strike again with their “proof” of the resurrection.

See Prof. Bart Ehrman: 2009 Debate With Mike Licona: Can Historians Prove the Resurrection of Jesus?

https://ehrmanblog.org/video-ehrman-...a-2009-debate/
                          You appear to be suffering from the delusion that this is a win for Dr. Ehrman. He should stick to fields in which he's actually qualified.
                          AND:

“Even the Catholic Church—home to one billion of the world’s two billion Christians—states in its Catechism: “Although the Resurrection was an historical event that could be verified by the sign of the empty tomb and by the reality of the apostles’ encounters with the risen Christ, still it remains at the very heart of the mystery of faith as something that transcends and surpasses history.”

https://michaelshermer.com/2017/04/h...-resurrection/
                          Lemme know what it is you think this proves, k?
                          The standard CP argument, it seems, when incapable of addressing the topic under discussion. Sad.
                          You appear to be confusing "not willing to refute the same tired argument for the 1,000 time" with "incapable". Sad!

You're much better at rational conversation when you don't have skin in the game. When your conclusions are assumed as fact and set in adamantine, like they are here, interacting with you gets tiresome fast.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            From our perspective, it's the militant atheist who's dealing in escapist nonsense.
                            You’re wrong. It’s Christians who have the escapist belief that they will survive death and live forever casting crowns before Jesus in heaven, not atheists. Atheists, militant or otherwise, acknowledge the fact that all living creatures die and rot. No “escapism” there.

You appear to be suffering from the delusion that this is a win for Dr. Ehrman. He should stick to fields in which he's actually qualified.
                            Of course, he won.

Dr Bart Ehrman is a “New Testament scholar focusing on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, the origins and development of early Christianity. He has written and edited 30 books, including three college textbooks. He has also authored six New York Times bestsellers. He is currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”. Wiki.

I think we can reasonably say he’s well qualified in the area. More so than an indoctrinated fundamentalist product of Liberty “University” such as Licona.

You wouldn't have to be if you knew Jesus.
                            You mean like Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense? He knew dead people too.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 09-28-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Of course, he won.

Dr Bart Ehrman is a “New Testament scholar focusing on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, the origins and development of early Christianity. He has written and edited 30 books, including three college textbooks. He has also authored six New York Times bestsellers. He is currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”. Wiki.
                              You heard it here first folks, the way to judge the winner of a debate is by looking at who's got the longer and more impressive CV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                You heard it here first folks, the way to judge the winner of a debate is by looking at who's got the longer and more impressive CV.
                                No, he won the debate by virtue of his detailed factual arguments. The impressive list of Dr. Ehrman’s credentials was in response One Bad Pig's nonsensical: “He should stick to fields in which he's actually qualified”. He did.
                                Last edited by Tassman; 09-28-2019, 04:33 AM.

Comment