Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nero Became Demon Possessed After Paul's Testimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    No death, no pain, no evil, no suffering, sounds great! Maybe fundy atheists are too busy looking for the catch? Other then the clearly stated increased risk of persecution and trouble in this life(is it really a "catch" if it's a clear disclaimer), there aren't any downsides. And what is a few decades of the school of hard knocks compared to an eternity in the presence of God?
    The only “catch” is that there is no good reason to believe in such escapist nonsense.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      The only “catch” is that there is no good reason to believe in such escapist nonsense.
      Billions disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Billions disagree with you.
        Billions of religious folk disagree with each other.
        Last edited by Tassman; 09-21-2019, 02:51 AM.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Billions of religious folk disagree with each other.
          Yes, some of us actually like dark chocolate.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yes, some of us actually like dark chocolate.
            The European wars of religion, the Crusades, Puritans vs the Established Church or the social disputes and religious rivalries of today, indicate that the differences are not necessarily as trivial as preferred types of chocolate.

Comment

The European wars of religion, the Crusades, Puritans vs the Established Church or the social disputes and religious rivalries of today, indicate that the differences are not necessarily as trivial as preferred types of chocolate.
              Are you seriously contending that the "social disputes and religious rivalries of today" are in any way comparable to "the European wars of religion, the Crusades" or even the "Puritans vs the Established Church" from many hundreds of years ago?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Are you seriously contending that the "social disputes and religious rivalries of today" are in any way comparable to "the European wars of religion, the Crusades" or even the "Puritans vs the Established Church" from many hundreds of years ago?
                Merely suggesting that religious differences tend to be more serious than “liking dark chocolate” or otherwise.

Comment

Forgetting those things which are behind, I press on..... Satan and his minions will always try to drag a Christian back to the past, but Paul (who used to slaughter Christians) advises it's time to move on.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Merely suggesting that religious differences tend to be more serious than “liking dark chocolate” or otherwise.
                    You're just an anti-Christian who loves to cause division. You must be a riot at parties.

Comment

Forgetting those things which are behind, I press on..... Satan and his minions will always try to drag a Christian back to the past,
                      It’s no good blaming “Satan and his minions”, Christians are responsible for their own past behavior are they not.

but Paul (who used to slaughter Christians) advises it's time to move on.
                      He “advised” that 2,000 years ago. But still Christians owned slaves, discriminated against blacks and homosexuals, disenfranchised women and saw nothing wrong with depriving millions of indigenous peoples of their land and culture etc. etc. etc.

What happened?

You're just an anti-Christian who loves to cause division. You must be a riot at parties.
                      I guess I must be just one of Satan's minions, right?

Comment

It’s no good blaming “Satan and his minions”, Christians are responsible for their own past behavior are they not.
                        Christians have done bad things, absolutely, but I am responsible for my own actions, not those of people thousands of years, or even hundreds of years ago.

He “advised” that 2,000 years ago. But still Christians owned slaves, discriminated against blacks and homosexuals, disenfranchised women and saw nothing wrong with depriving millions of indigenous peoples of their land and culture etc. etc. etc.

What happened?
                        Sin.

I guess I must be just one of Satan's minions, right?
                        If the hoof fits...

Comment

Christians have done bad things, absolutely, but I am responsible for my own actions, not those of people thousands of years, or even hundreds of years ago.
                          So, there have been no eternal moral truths exhibited by Christianity down through the ages, just individual actions perpetrated by the likes of CP.

Sin.
                          Oh, “sin” happened?

I guess Christians were not so hypocritical as to willfully set out to be “sinful” when they justified slave ownership, discrimination against blacks, the disenfranchisement of women and the deprivation of millions of indigenous of their land and culture etc. They just got it wrong and inadvertently committed “sin”.

But, if they got it so drastically wrong for so many centuries, how can anyone be sure they haven’t also got it wrong about current issues such as abortion and homosexuality?

If the hoof fits...
                          It seems that the cloven hoofs belong to sinning Christians, not to me.

Comment

The cloven hooves belong to those who revel in their sin.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              The cloven hooves belong to those who revel in their sin.
                              But not to those who, with scriptural justification in the name of their deity, disenfranchised women, owned slaves and etc. etc. etc.

Comment

But not to those who, with scriptural justification in the name of their deity, disenfranchised women, owned slaves and etc. etc. etc.
                                You're working overtime at trying to sound like an idiot when you really don't have to.

Comment