Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who raised Jesus from the dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Asserted but not proven. It is not incoherent to state that Jesus is "fully human" in the sense that he has every essential human quality, and "fully divine" in the sense that he has every essential divine quality.
    No matter how you spin it, it remains a logical contradiction. Black cannot be simultaneously white, just as God in his fullness cannot be simultaneously fully non-God.

Whilst the Doctrine of the Hypostatic Union is theology important to mainstream Christianity, it nevertheless cannot be seen as anything more than a divine mystery by the faithful.

Asserted but not proven. Belief in God is no more itrational than believing that my senses allow me to accurately perceive the universe around me.
    Your senses can be tested and empirically verified whereas belief in an invisible, allegedly all powerful deity cannot.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

There are holes in the plot.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        No matter how you spin it, it remains a logical contradiction. Black cannot be simultaneously white, just as God in his fullness cannot be simultaneously fully non-God.
        Well I guess it's a good thing the doctrine of the Hypostatic Union doesn't teach anything of the sort then, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          Well I guess it's a good thing the doctrine of the Hypostatic Union doesn't teach anything of the sort then, eh?
          Well yes it does. The Doctrine of the Hypostatic Union says it is "The union of the human and divine natures in the one person of Christ". The Council of Chalcedon, in the fifth century, declared that in Christ the two natures, each retained its own properties and are "united in one subsistence and one person". The Westminster Confession of Faith many centuries later confirmed this by saying, “Two whole perfect and distinct natures, the Godhead and manhood were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion. That is, the human did not become divine; the divine did not become human without composition."
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
            Black cannot be simultaneously white, just as God in his fullness cannot be simultaneously fully non-God.
            I suppose Christians can take comfort in the fact that their theology doesn't teach this.

Your senses can be tested and empirically verified....
            How can you verify the accuracy of your own senses without first assuming the accuracy of your own senses?

(Hint: You can't.)
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Well yes it does. The Doctrine of the Hypostatic Union says it is "The union of the human and divine natures in the one person of Christ". The Council of Chalcedon, in the fifth century, declared that in Christ the two natures, each retained its own properties and are "united in one subsistence and one person". The Westminster Confession of Faith many centuries later confirmed this by saying, “Two whole perfect and distinct natures, the Godhead and manhood were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion. That is, the human did not become divine; the divine did not become human without composition."
              You're trying to read above your grade level, because none of that says that Jesus was both God and not-God at the same time and in the same sense.

Comment

You will be judged by your own words.
                Uh-oh. Is he not including enough gratuitous insults?
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

None of the above says Jesus is simultaneously fully God and fully not-God.

Comment

None of the above says Jesus is simultaneously fully God and fully not-God.
                    Unless they were alternating persons (i.e. sometimes God and sometimes man), that's precisely what “Two whole perfect and distinct natures, the Godhead and manhood were inseparably joined together in one person" means.

Comment

Unless they were alternating persons (i.e. sometimes God and sometimes man), that's precisely what “Two whole perfect and distinct natures, the Godhead and manhood were inseparably joined together in one person" means.

Are you really this clueless?

Comment

Of course it doesn't. Divinity and humanity doesn't relate to each other in the same way as black and white does, they're not two mutually exclusive states of being. Humans aren't "not-God" in virtue of being humans, but because we are created beings.

Comment

Of course it doesn't. Divinity and humanity doesn't relate to each other in the same way as black and white does, they're not two mutually exclusive states of being. Humans aren't "not-God" in virtue of being humans, but because we are created beings.
                          Well yes they are logically two exclusive states of being. One cannot be both fully human and fully divine at the same time except, as claimed by the 'mystery' of the Doctrine of the Hypostatic Union whereby the "human and divine natures are united in the one person of Christ". . It can only be accepted as an article of faith, not a logical belief system. It took nearly 500 years for the Church (at the Council of Chalcedon) to devise such irrational, contradictory nonsense as a means to rebut the numerous Christological heresies besetting Christianity at the time.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 01-14-2019, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Well yes they are logically two exclusive states of being. One cannot be both fully human and fully divine at the same time . . .
                            Ok, so how exactly are they logically exclusive? Can you explain? Or is this just another pure assertion without any argument to back it up from you?

Comment

Are you really this clueless?
                              It appears he thinks that Jesus suffers from some sort of Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple/split personalities)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ok, so how exactly are they logically exclusive? Can you explain? Or is this just another pure assertion without any argument to back it up from you?
                                The Doctrine itself implies that they are a logical contradiction. It states that God and Jesus are “Two whole perfect and distinct natures, the Godhead and manhood, inseparably joined together in one person”, i.e. a logical contradiction.

One cannot reconcile being omniscient (divine) with not being omniscient (human) in one person. Ultimately it is simply a theological assertion believed by Christians as a revealed truth of the Church.

Comment