Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life in Heaven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    For those of you with an understanding of Heaven, how will life be different there? Personally I don't see how you can be any less of a sinner in heaven than you are here on earth unless what you call your sin nature is somehow recreated by God. And if in order to not sin, you need be transformed by God into a "non-sinner" then what was the point of this so called earthly crucible?
    Don't we call this this argument by personal incredulity?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by LeaC View Post
    This was my impression, too! I only decided to check out the post because I do think discussions about Heaven are interesting, even if I don't know the answers. It was... disappointing.

It seems odd that though atheists claim that they want nothing to do with religion, many ask questions like these far more than I do. (I'm sure the answer is important, just not of interest to me.) I don't spend time wondering what reincarnation feels like, as I don't believe in it. I don't know, I'm torn between finding it ironic/amusing and sad. If you're confident in what you believe, you don't need to ask these questions, or try to force doubt in other people. You'd research their beliefs, and then maybe bring up specific, informed criticisms about those beliefs. Doing this just makes me suspect they're unhappy or insecure.
    You are a wise lady.

Leave a comment:

• LeaC
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Lea, I applaud you for attempting a reply to Jim.

However, his pattern here is to simply troll. Likely whatever his response to any of us will be, it will be full of ridicule and contempt.

He just simply isn't interested in whatever any of us have to say. He has no genuine interest into anything to do with God.
    This was my impression, too! I only decided to check out the post because I do think discussions about Heaven are interesting, even if I don't know the answers. It was... disappointing.

It seems odd that though atheists claim that they want nothing to do with religion, many ask questions like these far more than I do. (I'm sure the answer is important, just not of interest to me.) I don't spend time wondering what reincarnation feels like, as I don't believe in it. I don't know, I'm torn between finding it ironic/amusing and sad. If you're confident in what you believe, you don't need to ask these questions, or try to force doubt in other people. You'd research their beliefs, and then maybe bring up specific, informed criticisms about those beliefs. Doing this just makes me suspect they're unhappy or insecure.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by LeaC View Post
    Maybe you should do some research into this topic. That's what I usually do when I want to learn about something. The other day I was researching how to gain remote access to various open ports. I did not start by asking random people- even those in my classes- how they felt such a thing should be done. I asked experts, and the people who give commentary on port mapping applications.

To answer your question, though, sometimes I wonder what Heaven is really like. It's fun to muse about, but it's not something I like dwelling on for long periods of time. So, I've never been curious enough to find out what biblical scholars or theologians have to say about it. I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of them have considered these questions, and have answers for them.
    Lea, I applaud you for attempting a reply to Jim.

However, his pattern here is to simply troll. Likely whatever his response to any of us will be, it will be full of ridicule and contempt.

He just simply isn't interested in whatever any of us have to say. He has no genuine interest into anything to do with God.

Leave a comment:

• LeaC
    replied
    Maybe you should do some research into this topic. That's what I usually do when I want to learn about something. The other day I was researching how to gain remote access to various open ports. I did not start by asking random people- even those in my classes- how they felt such a thing should be done. I asked experts, and the people who give commentary on port mapping applications.

To answer your question, though, sometimes I wonder what Heaven is really like. It's fun to muse about, but it's not something I like dwelling on for long periods of time. So, I've never been curious enough to find out what biblical scholars or theologians have to say about it. I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of them have considered these questions, and have answers for them.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    started a topic Life in Heaven.

Life in Heaven.

For those of you with an understanding of Heaven, how will life be different there? Personally I don't see how you can be any less of a sinner in heaven than you are here on earth unless what you call your sin nature is somehow recreated by God. And if in order to not sin, you need be transformed by God into a "non-sinner" then what was the point of this so called earthly crucible?