Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life in Heaven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The problem is that your answers presuppose that your beliefs are the correct worldview even though they are not substantiated by credible evidence.
    um. Because he ASKED Chrisitians what they thought from their point of view?

For those of you with an understanding of Heaven, how will life be different there?

Comment

Christians, please describe what life in Heaven would be like, from an atheistic perspective.

Thanks.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        No actually you asked for this:

And as someone with an understanding of Heaven from a Christian perspective, I gave you an answer from the biblical perspective complete with bible quotes and analogies to help you understand that view. I also told you some of my theories where the bible is not clear. But nothing I said was good enough, not because it was not logical, but because you are just trolling and don't give a crap what anyone says. But then I wasn't really posting to you but others who may read this thread. It serves three purposes:

1. To show that there are people like you out there who ask questions not to get answers, but to have something to argue against and will reject no matter what is said.
        2. That there are actually good answers to these questions even if the asker doesn't care.
        3. Now you have one less excuse to use when you are confronted by God on why you chose to disbelieve.

You aren't fooling anyone JimL. Except yourself.

I actually still pray for you and your soul JimL. That you will wake up one day. I was where you are now once. You just have to stop fighting and accept the truth.
        Wrong, I ask questions, not simply in search of ones perspective, or opinion, but in search of logical perspectives, or opinions. You apparently don't have a logical answer to this, since in the end your god has to intervene and re-create you and your environment in order that you no longer have what you call a sin nature. How you have come to your conclusion, whether biblical or not, is irrelevant. If it isn't logical, and in my opinion it is not, then the how is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Christians, please describe what life in Heaven would be like, from an atheistic perspective.

Thanks.
          Well nongod would make nonyou nonlive forever!

Comment

Well nongod would make nonyou nonlive forever!
            This could be fun, actually...a whole series of threads dedicated to Christian doctrines, but strictly from an atheist perspective.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

um. Because he ASKED Chrisitians what they thought from their point of view?
              Right, with the obvious expectation that what you thought concerning this issue would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Right, with the obvious expectation that what you thought concerning this issue would make sense.
                1 Corinthians 1:18
                For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Jim if it made sense to you, you wouldn't still be an atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  The problem is that your answers presuppose that your beliefs are the correct worldview even though they are not substantiated by credible evidence.

Comment

1 Corinthians 1:18
                    For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
                    Said like a true cult leader. Listen to me children, I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, it may sound foolish, but if you want to live forever, believe it.
                    Jim if it made sense to you, you wouldn't still be an atheist.
                    No, if it made sense I would have the option as to whether to believe or not, but since it doesn't make sense I have no option but to reject it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Said like a true cult leader. Listen to me children, I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, it may sound foolish, but if you want to live forever, believe it.

No, if it made sense I would have the option as to whether to believe or not, but since it doesn't make sense I have no option but to reject it.
                      You would reject anything we said, JimL.

But please, assuming a biblical view of sin and heaven, please explain why my analogy and explanation was illogical.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MankyScotsGit View Post
                        He could also have made you with the intellect of a banana but He didn't.
                        In Jimmy's case, I'm not so sure about that.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                          Jimmy's question in the OP necessarily presupposes that the Christian worldview is true even if only for the sake of argument.

But of course his question was disingenuous from the start, and he was ready to reject any answer given before he even started the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I like the theory that we will all spend eternity in God's presence. For the believer, it will be heaven; for the unbeliever, it will be hell.

Comment

• This is my last contribution to this thread...

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              In what sense will you be in the direct presence of god in heaven that you are not in his direct presence here on earth?
                              Seriously? Exodus 18 gives us a brief description of what it's like to be in the direct presence of God:

18 Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” 21 And the Lord said, “Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, 22 and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.”

God's is omnipresent, yes, but we are not in his direct presence here on Earth.

Well we've already gone over that one. If the enviroment of heaven, you know, no sickness, no hunger, no war, no pain, etc etc., is one that makes us not want to sin, then the question is why didn't god create that environment for us in the first place?
                              He did, and man rejected it. Go read the book of Genesis some time.

And before you get all arrogant and say, "Well I wouldn't have rejected it!", the fact is, you already did. That's the curious thing about us humans; it is theoretically possible that each one of us could have lived a perfect life, but instead, at our first opportunity, we chose to sin -- that is we willingly chose to do what we knew was wrong when it was in our power to do what was right. Skeptics often protest, "Why should I be judged for Adam's sins!" The good news is that you won't be. The bad news is that you will be judged for your sins.

If we need be changed, incorruptible bodies and all, in order that we not sin, then the so called crucible of earth would make no sense.
                              It makes perfect sense within the Christian worldview for the reasons I and others have explained. You suppose that God could have made us incapable of sinning from the beginning when there's nothing in the Bible to support that premise. Not even the angels in heaven are immune to the temptation of sin.

If God truely wanted us to choose to accept or reject him then he would make himself absolutely known to us as would be the case if, like satan, he created us in his heavenly presence in the first place.
                              Here's the thing: God has made himself known to us and has made available to us everything we need to know to be saved. I and every other believer on earth is proof of that. Am I a Christian only because I was given some special revelation that was denied to you? Nope. You have access to the exact same knowledge and evidence as me. In the words of Joshua:

"If it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                You would reject anything we said, JimL.

But please, assuming a biblical view of sin and heaven, please explain why my analogy and explanation was illogical.
                                Well, the whole idea is rather silly when you come right down to it. Billions of people, both past and present, knew or know, barely nothing of chrisianity, just as most christians knew or know barely nothing of other religions, so the whole idea of christianity itself doesn't make sense. But specific to the issue, there are many problems. Life spans vary, giving advantage to those who live long enough to experience enough of life to make reasoned choices. A 12 year old might die never hearing a thing about christianity, while another may not have learned about it until they were 30 and lived another 60 years mulling it over. So, it would be unjust for one thing. Also, some people, after honestly mulling it over, just wouldn't come to the same conclusion as you regarding the truth of Christianity to which your response is "well then, they made their choice so to hell they go. That is just silly. And to think that people would consciously choose to go to a hellish place rather than a heavenly place, for eternity, is also silly. But in the end, the idea that god has to both change you, erase your sin nature, and remove temptation from you, makes the whole crucible idea illogical. I just don't think that you are thinking very deeply about what that means.

Comment