Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Paul’s basket escape from Damascus (Robert Eisenman)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
    Or.... He really had that very common name. (I see Chrawnus beat me to it in pointing out this obvious possibility.)
    Or, it fits with the whole staged meeting of the Sanhedrin (on Shabbat, no less!!) during Pesach week (also unprecedented) to "try" a common criminal (Jesus) whose crime was sedition (against Rome) - or, at least that's what the punishment of crucifixion was for (the Jewish courts never crucified anyone, as even the death penalty was extremely rare at that time). No, no, no. It was the evil Jews who "killed Jesus." Fits with the evil Jew, Judas who betrayed him.

The anti-Semitism of the Christian Testament is well established.

NORM
    When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Still reading and researching. I will come back to it.
      Still absorbing Eisenman. I may be gone for some time.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

So far the only thing all seem to agree on...is Paul was truly a basket case.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          As he was coming down in the basket, what could've happened to him? You believe he was in danger. Weave a scenario.
          I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            So far the only thing all seem to agree on...is Paul was truly a basket case.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
              Judas was a common first century name. The New Testament gives eight different people with that name, one of whom is Jesus' brother and an author of a book of the New Testament! Not exactly the thing to do if you were fabricating a lie to make Jews look bad.
              new amen button

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                And while we're at it, let's proclaim our savior came from the tribe of Judah. That'll teach those dirty Jews.
                new amen button.

oh and not to mention that the name Jesus was a common Jewish name also.

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                  Or, it fits with the whole staged meeting of the Sanhedrin (on Shabbat, no less!!) during Pesach week (also unprecedented) to "try" a common criminal (Jesus) whose crime was sedition (against Rome) - or, at least that's what the punishment of crucifixion was for (the Jewish courts never crucified anyone, as even the death penalty was extremely rare at that time). No, no, no. It was the evil Jews who "killed Jesus." Fits with the evil Jew, Judas who betrayed him.

NORM
                  and here is proof that If you look for satan you will find him even if you have to make a specious assertion about what you find in something are trying to denigrate using a proven false accusation.
                  Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                    and here is proof that If you look for satan you will find him even if you have to make a specious assertion about what you find in something are trying to denigrate using a proven false accusation.
                    This is incoherent. Can you reword?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      This is incoherent. Can you reword?
                      He is simply suggesting that I am looking for the devil where there is none. I mean; Christians persecuting and denigrating Jews!!! Ha! What will I think of next?!

Maybe that a world power under the control of a megalomaniac bent on creating a super race of perfect humans would try to systematically rid the world of Jews! How absurd, right?

NORM
                      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

He is simply suggesting that I am looking for the devil where there is none. I mean; Christians persecuting and denigrating Jews!!! Ha! What will I think of next?!
                        yes you are finding antisemitism where it isn't but what can we do with someone who refuses to take his blinders off.

Maybe that a world power under the control of a megalomaniac bent on creating a super race of perfect humans would try to systematically rid the world of Jews! How absurd, right?

NORM
                        What does hitler have to do with you mistakingly thinking that there is antisemitism in the new testament. You just lost the argument.

OH and btw Norm I"M female not male
                        Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-23-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          yes you are finding antisemitism where it isn't but what can we do with someone who refuses to take his blinders off.

What does hitler have to do with you mistakingly thinking that there is antisemitism in the new testament. You just lost the argument.

OH and btw Norm I"M female not male
                          I agree. It's absolutely absurd to think that Christians would ever persecute or misunderstand Jews.

NORM

Comment

Eisenman, the short version – Paul stuffed James = Christianity
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              Eisenman, the short version – Paul stuffed James = Christianity
                              Would you agree that James was a follower of Jesus, a Jewish Christian, so to speak?
                              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

You see what you want to see. I see, in the gospels, a Jewish man with Jewish followers who ran afoul of Jewish politicians. If you wanted to say that Jesus' life and teachings reflect a negative view of political power, you would have a case. The Sanhedrin did not accuse Jesus among themselves of sedition against Rome, but of blasphemy against God. However, knowing that Rome would not execute him for that, their false accusation before the Roman government was sedition.

i do not find your evidence compelling, but you are doing a better job establishing the anti-Christianism of NORM.

Comment