Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I'm not trying to explain anything. I'm waiting for you to explain the logic of how simultaneously “three” can be “one” and one can be “three” a straw man.
    ftfy n/c
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      ftfy n/c
      Nonsense. You've "fixed" nothing, merely avoided the issue. I’m still waiting for you to explain how “three” can simultaneously be “one” and "one" can simultaneously be “three”...as per the Athanasian Creed.

“So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.”

https://www.ccel.org/creeds/athanasian.creed.html
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• The three leaf leaf of the clover. It is one leaf with three leaves, yet it is a single leaf. Leaves are not persons nor is a leaf God. Leaves are one kind of thing. Persons and deity are two kinds of things. Three distinct persons who happen to be the one and the same God is not even any kind of contradiction.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Nonsense. You've "fixed" nothing, merely avoided the issue. I’m still waiting for you to explain how “three” can simultaneously be “one” and "one" can simultaneously be “three”...as per the Athanasian Creed.

“So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.”

https://www.ccel.org/creeds/athanasian.creed.html
          Because the "three" and the "one" do not refer to identical concepts: three persons but one God. The only way this causes problems is when people are incapable of grasping (or are unwilling to grasp) the distinction. Debating the fine points with you is like playing chess with a pigeon, Tassman. It's not so much "avoiding" as recognizing that you're simply not going to grok what we're saying.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            The three leaf leaf of the clover. It is one leaf with three leaves, yet it is a single leaf. Leaves are not persons nor is a leaf God. Leaves are one kind of thing. Persons and deity are two kinds of things. Three distinct persons who happen to be the one and the same God is not even any kind of contradiction.
            Bad analogy, because each leaf in a clover can not be said to be the whole clover but only a single part. Littlejoe's treaty analogy is much better: three separate and distinct documents that share the same essence.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Bad analogy, because each leaf in a clover can not be said to be the whole clover but only a single part. Littlejoe's treaty analogy is much better: three separate and distinct documents that share the same essence.
              Yeah, the Trinity is so unique that we can only come close to describing it - when I give an analogy, it comes with disclaimers.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Because the "three" and the "one" do not refer to identical concepts: three persons but one God. The only way this causes problems is when people are incapable of grasping (or are unwilling to grasp) the distinction. Debating the fine points with you is like playing chess with a pigeon, Tassman. It's not so much "avoiding" as recognizing that you're simply not going to grok what we're saying.
                I think he's being purposely and aggressively obtuse on this.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I think he's being purposely and aggressively obtuse on this.
                  Yes, that's the Tassman we all know and love.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not trying to explain anything. I'm waiting for you to explain the logic of how simultaneously “three” can be “one” and one can be “three”.
                    I already posted a lengthy article on that. In response you made up straw man claims and tried to accuse me of modalism and couldn't even get that definition correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I made the point that leaves are not persons nor deity. The clover leaf is an example of three being one. Not of them being an analogy of three persons being one God.
                      Last edited by 37818; 05-16-2018, 02:20 PM.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Yeah, the Trinity is so unique that we can only come close to describing it - when I give an analogy, it comes with disclaimers.
                        So "unique" that it amounts to a contradiction. To try to make sense out of how “three” can be simultaneously “one” and "one" can simultaneously be “three” is equivalent to arguing that “black" can simultaneously be “white” and "white" can simultaneously be “black. You're better off with the traditional disclaimer that the Holy Trinity is a "Divine Mystery".
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

So "unique" that it amounts to a contradiction.
                          The way you stubbornly and obtusely pervert it, yes.

Comment

The way you stubbornly and obtusely pervert it, yes.
                            Nothing "stubborn" or "obtuse" about it! It's a contradiction. For you to argue that “three” can be simultaneously “one” and "one" can simultaneously be “three” is equivalent to arguing that “black" can simultaneously be “white” and "white" can simultaneously be “black".

Comment

Nothing "stubborn" or "obtuse" about it! It's a contradiction.
                              Here you are proving my point. How bout throwing in a few more exclamation points for good measure?

For you to argue that “three” can be simultaneously “one” and "one" can simultaneously be “three” is equivalent to arguing that “black" can simultaneously be “white” and "white" can simultaneously be “black".
                              No, it's really not. As has been explained to you ad nauseum, you're perverting the doctrine. You're falsely forcing it to be a comparison of 'three items' to exactly the same 'one of those items'. That's not the Trinity.

Comment

How bout throwing in a few more exclamation points for good measure?
                                Like the old joke about a man preparing a speech, and in his notes he writes, "Weak point. Yell louder."
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment