Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Oh gee, we can play that game too...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27760[/ATTACH]
    There is a difference. Atheists like myself don't actually believe that there was nothing that became something, that's actually what you christians believe, so you are mocking yourselves, not atheists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Calling it "semantics", "word games" and "philosophical mumbo jumbo" won't make it go away. There's a difference between the actual teaching of the Trinity and your pathetic attempt to caricaturize it, even if you're too dense, or simply unwilling, to see it.
      Well, I don't expect that calling the concept of the trinity what it is, i.e. illogical, will make it go away from the believers mind. But since no one else has yet to give a logical explanation of the trinity, perhaps you'd like to give it a try? No, of course you won't!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        There is a difference. Atheists like myself don't actually believe that there was nothing that became something, that's actually what you christians believe, so you are mocking yourselves, not atheists.
        ...and there goes the point zipping over Jim's head.

We don't *actually* believe your caricature of the Trinity either. Thanks for playing.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Well, I don't expect that calling the concept of the trinity what it is, i.e. illogical, will make it go away from the believers mind. But since no one else has yet to give a logical explanation of the trinity, perhaps you'd like to give it a try? No, of course you won't!
          There's nothing about the standard doctrine of the Trinity that breaks any rules of logic. As to whether or not anyone will ever convince you of that is another question altogether. Trying to disabuse you of the notion that your caricature of the Trinity is even moderately similar to the actual doctrine would be a herculean task in it's own right.

Comment

There's nothing about the standard doctrine of the Trinity that breaks any rules of logic.
            And I wish some Christians would stop claiming otherwise.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

There's nothing about the standard doctrine of the Trinity that breaks any rules of logic.
              Well yes it does break the rules of logic. The Doctrine of the Trinity is logically incoherent. The problem is how God can be “One” and yet at the same time be “Three”, i.e. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is three, not one. That “one thing” can be identical with “three distinct things”, is an obvious direct contradiction. And yet, to say otherwise, is considered heresy.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

There's nothing about the standard doctrine of the Trinity that breaks any rules of logic. As to whether or not anyone will ever convince you of that is another question altogether. Trying to disabuse you of the notion that your caricature of the Trinity is even moderately similar to the actual doctrine would be a herculean task in it's own right.
                As I suspected, of course you wouldn't attempt to make logical sense of a concept that you know, even if you won't admit it, is completely illogical.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  And I wish some Christians would stop claiming otherwise.
                  Perhaps you'd like to give it a try then. Explain how 1 entity, which you call god can logically be said to be made up of 3 persons, with 3 minds.

Comment

So what "something" created the universe, Jimmy? What existed before the universe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Well yes it does break the rules of logic. The Doctrine of the Trinity is logically incoherent. The problem is how God can be “One” and yet at the same time be “Three”, i.e. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is three, not one. That “one thing” can be identical with “three distinct things”, is an obvious direct contradiction. And yet, to say otherwise, is considered heresy.
                      You are merely asserting this again. You need to prove it is so. We have already said that the "three" is persons and the "one" is God. Two different classes.

Comment

So what "something" created the universe, Jimmy? What existed before the universe?
                        Depends on how you are defining THE UNIVERSE. If by UNIVERSE you mean the totality of everything that exists and has always existed, then nothing created it. If by universe you mean a particular form taken by that which has always existed then that form was created, or more aptly stated, was born, of THE UNIVERSE, or born of that which has always existed.
                        Last edited by JimL; 05-11-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

You are merely asserting this again. You need to prove it is so. We have already said that the "three" is persons and the "one" is God. Two different classes.
                          There is no need to prove it since it is illogical prima facie. 3 is not 1, 1 is not 3. Saying that God is 3 minds in 1 is no different than saying you are 3 minds in 1 person. The illogical doesn't become logical just because you declare that being that it is god we can claim anything at all and say it is logical.

Comment

Saying that God is 3 minds in 1
                            No one is saying that God is 3 minds in 1 mind.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            The illogical doesn't become logical just because you declare that being that it is god we can claim anything at all and say it is logical.
                            The doctrine of the Trinity is very carefully crafted. The only illogical depictions (i.e ones with apparent contradictions) of it I have seen have been heretical ones, such as the caricatures you and Tassman have put forth.

Comment

No one is saying that God is 3 minds in 1 mind.
                              Of course you are. The Father has a mind, Jesus has a mind, the holy spirit has a mind, that's three, three, three minds in one. If you now want to argue that there is only one mind, then the notion that there are three distinct persons makes no sense.

The doctrine of the Trinity is very carefully crafted.
                              Crafted no doubt!

The only illogical depictions (i.e ones with apparent contradictions) of it I have seen have been heretical ones, such as the caricatures you and Tassman have put forth.
                              Funny that you won't describe these logical, non contradictory versions, of the trinity that you've seen.

Comment

Depends on how you are defining THE UNIVERSE. If by UNIVERSE you mean the totality of everything that exists and has always existed, then nothing created it. If by universe you mean a particular form taken by that which has always existed then that form was created, or more aptly stated, was born, of THE UNIVERSE, or born of that which has always existed.
                                We already know the universe didn't always exist but started 14 billion years ago so what you believe is just wrong. Time itself didn't exist prior to then so it can't have "always" existed. Your belief is completely illogical.

Comment