Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Blood Moon Tetrad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Moon Tetrad

The tetrad begins 15th April. Is this a sign that the world is about to end? For some reason, the press seems to be a bit excited about the prospect but I don’t see any reaction here. Did anyone know about this? Is the sky signs paradigm of Genesis dead, or, am I just reading it the wrong way again?

There is some other discussion here:
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...highlight=moon
    Last edited by firstfloor; 04-10-2014, 05:17 AM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

I saw this headline from my old buddy Jim Tabor and didn't bother to read about it:

The “Four Blood Moons” Nonsense: Why It Means Absolutely Nothing

I figured, if even Jim Tabor thinks it means nothing, then it must be really crazy. Don't have too much time to waste on nonsense. If it is not nonsense, what does it mean? Am I in trouble? Is the world supposed to end this month? Are we all doomed? Or if we believe something special about these four blood moons, will we be saved?
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      The tetrad begins 15th April.
      April 15 = tax day.
      tax day = IRS
      IRS = abuse of power
      abuse of power = Obama

there ya have it!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        April 15 = tax day.
        tax day = IRS
        IRS = abuse of power
        abuse of power = Obama
        there ya have it!
        The serious question is that now that we (apparently) all agree that the lights in the night sky are not “for signs” can we also agree to put the creation account, once and for all, in the box labelled ‘Myth’?
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The serious question is that now that we (apparently) all agree that the lights in the night sky are not “for signs” can we also agree to put the creation account, once and for all, in the box labelled ‘Myth’?
          No.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just because one guys idea of what "signs" are is wrong, doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Just because one guys idea of what "signs" are is wrong, doesn't mean that there aren't any.
              Yes, and since the "alien autopsy" was debunked, the space station should be defunded!

Comment

The tetrad begins 15th April. Is this a sign that the world is about to end? For some reason, the press seems to be a bit excited about the prospect but I don’t see any reaction here. Did anyone know about this? Is the sky signs paradigm of Genesis dead, or, am I just reading it the wrong way again?
                The press know that people love to think about the world ending, so of course they play it up. No, it does not mean the world is about to end. A better question to discuss is: Why are people so fascinated by the thought of incipient doomsday? Why does it speak to our hearts so strongly? As a Christian, I suspect that it's engrained in the human psyche that the general premise is sound: There will be a "last day," and we need to be ready. "When?" is not a question to which we're supposed to know. The right question for us is: ready for what, and ready how?

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                  The press know that people love to think about the world ending, so of course they play it up. No, it does not mean the world is about to end. A better question to discuss is: Why are people so fascinated by the thought of incipient doomsday? Why does it speak to our hearts so strongly?
                  That's a good question. Why did Jesus and Paul promise the end would come soon? Their audience wanted the apocalypse to arrive fast. I agree that's fascinating, but it's hardly a cautionary tale to prepare for the premature ending of the universe. The universe has trillions upon trillions of years of life left.

Originally posted by RBerman
                  As a Christian, I suspect that it's engrained in the human psyche that the general premise is sound: There will be a "last day," and we need to be ready. "When?" is not a question to which we're supposed to know. The right question for us is: ready for what, and ready how?
                  That it's ingrained in your psyche doesn't make it sound. For all you know, it's an idea that has been enculturated. It persists in those who desire an end to come soon. Believing the universe will end soon isn't sound. Believing that human mismanagement of the planet and tribal conflicts will end human beings is far more realistic.

That's not eschatology because it's limited in scope. The planet will live on. A big enough natural disaster could extinguish us, as well.

Comment

Why are people so fascinated by the thought of incipient doomsday? Why does it speak to our hearts so strongly? As a Christian, I suspect that it's engrained in the human psyche that the general premise is sound: There will be a "last day," and we need to be ready. "When?" is not a question to which we're supposed to know. The right question for us is: ready for what, and ready how?
                    God designed us to think about the other side -- Ecclesiastes 3:11
                    Combining this with knowledge of imminent death has a way of drawing [some] folks to get right with the Lord.

Comment

Well.... we're all still here. So, what's the next big Apocalypse date we're waiting to pass by? If not the Mayans, maybe the Toltecs or Aztecs or Aborigines or Stonehenge?

Comment

Well.... we're all still here.
                        Here is a certain prediction: Someday I won't be here, and neither will anyone reading this...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well.... we're all still here. So, what's the next big Apocalypse date we're waiting to pass by? If not the Mayans, maybe the Toltecs or Aztecs or Aborigines or Stonehenge?
                          Stonehenge was just a practical joke by the Galvans.

Comment

I personally didn't react because I figure that if prophecy is true, it'll prove out in good time. And I figure that the more it gets people thinking about the end of the world, the better...more people would turn to Christ.

Didn't Paul say that it didn't matter that some people preached Christ out of jealousy towards Paul? Not that their personal attitudes didn't matter....they would ultimately answer to God for all they did...but at least Christ was being preached.

False prophecy is a bad thing. But it's an opportunity to get people going in the right direction so THEIR salvation can be secured.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              I saw this headline from my old buddy Jim Tabor
                              Aha! You're really Simcha Jacobovici, aren't you!? I knew the Jesus' siblings thing smelled fishy. :D

Comment