Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Blood Moon Tetrad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am posting this from up in the sky.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Lol.....
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Is this a sign that the world is about to end?
        I hope not. I've paid for my vacation already.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
          Aha! You're really Simcha Jacobovici, aren't you!? I knew the Jesus' siblings thing smelled fishy. :D
          No, we first met when he was in graduate school, long before he got mixed up with Simcha.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            No, we first met when he was in graduate school, long before he got mixed up with Simcha.
            Oh that's cool. Yeah, the Simcha theory doesn't really line anyways, you don't strike me as paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Stonehenge was just a practical joke by the Galvans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                The serious question is that now that we (apparently) all agree that the lights in the night sky are not “for signs” can we also agree to put the creation account, once and for all, in the box labelled ‘Myth’?
                Whoever wrote the Gospel of John would agree with you, he himself basically rewriting the Genesis account;

In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with God, and the Logos was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
                That particular Gospel also includes a reasoning for the state of sin humanity is in, as opposed to the doctrine of Original sin;

And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Pytharchimedes View Post
                  [John] also includes a reasoning for the state of sin humanity is in, as opposed to the doctrine of Original sin: "And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil."
                  That's not "opposed to the doctrine of Original Sin." It's a description of the consequences of Original Sin. Men hate the light because it reveals their evil deeds, but why do they have evil deeds? John 1 doesn't address that topic, because it's not the point.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    False prophecy is a bad thing. But it's an opportunity to get people going in the right direction so THEIR salvation can be secured.
                    Could be. It could also be an opportunity to sour people on the idea of prophecy altogether, which is not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                      Could be. It could also be an opportunity to sour people on the idea of prophecy altogether, which is not a good thing.
                      I think that ship has long sailed. I doubt many modern churches even touch the subject of prophecy at all. The few that do are likely dubbed "fundamentalist" churches. Most prophecy touted as prophecy in the bible is dismissed as already occurring some time in the ancient past.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        I think that ship has long sailed. I doubt many modern churches even touch the subject of prophecy at all. The few that do are likely dubbed "fundamentalist" churches. Most prophecy touted as prophecy in the bible is dismissed as already occurring some time in the ancient past.
                        What prophecy has yet to be realized?

That prophecy is on the wane is a good state of affairs. Too many failed prophecies have been issued, disheartening many.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          I once embarrassed myself badly by using prophecy in a speech based on Josh McDowell's Evidence that Demands a Verdict. It was for a college course on Public Speaking. Unbeknownst to me, the professor was an ordained minister in the Salvation Army. I quoted from McDowell's book about a prophecy concerning Tyre. I thought it was quite convincing. I used McDowell's "quotes" from "secular sources" proving the veracity of the prophecy.

After my speech, the professor graded me A+ on presentation, A+ on delivery, A+ on audience engagement, and D- on preparation. Afterward, I asked for an explanation and he told me to go back and check the "secular sources" in the bibliography.

I did as he instructed and discovered that all of McDowell's historic sources were published in the late 19th century - they quoted directly from the Bible!! My professor, who had significant portions of the Bible committed to memory knew as soon as I spoke the words that the source was circular.

He counseled me later that if I wished to pursue a career in ministry, I would be wise to avoid prophecy. "It's easy," he said, "to prophecy events that you know already happened."

NORM
                          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                            I once embarrassed myself badly by using prophecy in a speech based on Josh McDowell's Evidence that Demands a Verdict. It was for a college course on Public Speaking. Unbeknownst to me, the professor was an ordained minister in the Salvation Army. I quoted from McDowell's book about a prophecy concerning Tyre. I thought it was quite convincing. I used McDowell's "quotes" from "secular sources" proving the veracity of the prophecy.

After my speech, the professor graded me A+ on presentation, A+ on delivery, A+ on audience engagement, and D- on preparation. Afterward, I asked for an explanation and he told me to go back and check the "secular sources" in the bibliography.

I did as he instructed and discovered that all of McDowell's historic sources were published in the late 19th century - they quoted directly from the Bible!! My professor, who had significant portions of the Bible committed to memory knew as soon as I spoke the words that the source was circular.

He counseled me later that if I wished to pursue a career in ministry, I would be wise to avoid prophecy. "It's easy," he said, "to prophecy events that you know already happened."

NORM
                            Yes, it's a necessity to be prepared in those situations. I faced similar challenges to my faith when I was still a babe in Christ. Luckily for me, those situations didn't cause me to fall from the faith but made me better prepared and a whole lot more knowledgeable about the background of my faith just knowing those challenges were out there.

Comment