Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What must I do to be Born Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    I have no biblical grounds for my skepticism of the belief that God torments unelect babies. Have that discussion with Arminians, not skeptics. I once saw Dee Dee said something to the effect of "we don't know if all babies go to heaven," but it was in a forum where I couldn't respond. I was hoping someone would later clarify if this was something Christians believed on biblical grounds. Thank you for clearing it up.
    You are welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
      "Creepy" is not an argument; it generally just marks an idea that is unsettling by virtue of being unfamiliar.
      No, it's creepy to believe that babies go to hell for rebelling against G-d in their hearts.

NORM
      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
        Originally posted by RBerman
        "Creepy" is not an argument; it generally just marks an idea that is unsettling by virtue of being unfamiliar.
        No, it's creepy to believe that babies go to hell for rebelling against G-d in their hearts.
        Despite your "No," You're not contradicting what I said. You're just demonstrating how my comment applies to you. You find my belief unfamiliar and unsettling, but do you have any biblical reason for disputing it, or are you just going to appeal to the Talmud as an authority which renders the Bible moot?

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
          Despite your "No," You're not contradicting what I said. You're just demonstrating how my comment applies to you. You find my belief unfamiliar and unsettling, but do you have any biblical reason for disputing it, or are you just going to appeal to the Talmud as an authority which renders the Bible moot?
          I don't take direction from ancient books, including the Talmud. I can glean wisdom from them sometimes, but not always, and certainly not every single word.

Morality is community based - the community you are in at the present determines what is socially acceptable, not some book written thousands of years ago when human life was not valued.

If we only got our moral compass from the Bible, women would have to remain subservient to men, homosexuality and mental illness would be the result of sinfulness, slavery would be acceptable and babies would go to hell.

NORM
          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post

Morality is community based - the community you are in at the present determines what is socially acceptable, not some book written thousands of years ago when human life was not valued.

If we only got our moral compass from the Bible, women would have to remain subservient to men, homosexuality and mental illness would be the result of sinfulness, slavery would be acceptable and babies would go to hell.
            Am I the only one seeing the cognitive dissonance between these two statements?
            The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
              Probably, yes.

You should be examining your own contradictory beliefs. There's plenty of friction in the belief that babies get punished with fire.

Comment

Nope. NormAtive wants to have his cake and eat it - that is, pick and choose the bits and understandings of the Tanakh that he likes.

Comment

Umm let me see if I could care any less about your fixation ....

----strains-----

Nope. I can't.

sigpic

Comment

I don't understand what you mean, DeeDee. Unless you are using a different definition of "dissonance." The point is that community standards and morals evolve with human understanding. Living "by the book" is static and unwielding.

NORM

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      Nope. NormAtive wants to have his cake and eat it - that is, pick and choose the bits and understandings of the Tanakh that he likes.
                      What I found interesting is his claim that society determines morality and then gave examples of what he thinks are objectively wrong... First LOL and what things were in his view..... What society said was right!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                        What I found interesting is his claim that society determines morality and then gave examples of what he thinks are objectively wrong... First LOL and what things were in his view..... What society said was right!
                        That's what they all do

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          Exactly. What is the problem with that? I like the action scenes in Moby Dick, but could care less about Ishmael's whining.

NORM

Comment

• I wish Christians WOULD pick and choose. Then you wouldn't have to teach that babies should go to hell.

NORM

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                              Exactly. What is the problem with that? I like the action scenes in Moby Dick, but could care less about Ishmael's whining.
                              You say that living by the book is "static and unwielding [sic]". My retort would be that your approach just suffices to confirm what you approve of; anything new will be accepted only if you approve of it. It's rather arbitrary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                                Again, I don't see what the problem is. We all have the capability to determine right and wrong. We shouldn't need a book to figure it out.

NORM

Comment