Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Women Should be Silent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You are assuming rogue06 has thoughts. He lost his mind long ago.
    I know exactly where it is.

It's just getting all the fragments working in symphony that's the challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by whag View Post

I do not permit you to express your thoughts here. You are to be quiet here as the law commandeth.
    You are assuming rogue06 has thoughts. He lost his mind long ago.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Or just weren't impressed with it enough to comment.
    I do not permit you to express your thoughts here. You are to be quiet here as the law commandeth.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

vici
    risi.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

veni vidi visi
    vici

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

I don't know.

Maybe he is saying that women don't get the gift of speaking in tongues?

Here is an article that argues both ways about it:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm...-in-church.cfm
    veni vidi visi

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

I understand that, but why would females be precluded from speaking in tongues but allowed to prophesy?
    I don't know.

Maybe he is saying that women don't get the gift of speaking in tongues?

Here is an article that argues both ways about it:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm...-in-church.cfm

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

That was a specific allusion to Paul’s command. Some here weren’t swift enough to get the humor. Gold star for you.
    Or just weren't impressed with it enough to comment.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied

That was a specific allusion to Paul’s command. Some here weren’t swift enough to get the humor. Gold star for you.
    You're right, I think.
    Some here will duck and dodge as suits the moment, but the Witnesses do have a fairly accurate comprehension of the commands about silent-women, and 'what-da-ya-know' but the women are quiet in their Kings Halls services, and do not deliver speeches or sermons. Even when visiting pagans (like me) the man speaks out and his lady will stay quiet. A JW couple have visited us for decades (they definitely like my wife's cappuccinos) and although the woman is 'quick as flash' in mind, if she wants to make a point during discussion she will zip through the pages of her bible and show her partner a passage, and he will be corrected and continue without her saying hardly a word.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied

There’s plenty to see here. Silence with respect to prophetic glossolalia is no less of an issue than general silence and submission, so what are you even talking about?
    Duck, Bob, and Weasel.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

Well, two of those names obeyed your command, anyway.
    Your command reminded me of Paul's, just a bit.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied

Because that is what the chapter is about, speaking in tongues. So when he says "women should remain silent" he probably means "speaking in tongues" Not talking in general, since they obviously do that in chapter 11 and he has no problem with that.
    I understand that, but why would females be precluded from speaking in tongues but allowed to prophesy?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Then why would you say that you think he is saying women can't speak in tongues? Where do you even get that?
    Because that is what the chapter is about, speaking in tongues. So when he says "women should remain silent" he probably means "speaking in tongues" Not talking in general, since they obviously do that in chapter 11 and he has no problem with that.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    1 Corinthians 14:34-37 is not only difficult to square with now but also then:
    .................................................. ..................................
    I do not permit Hypatia_Alexandria, Mountain Man, and JimL to speak here. They are to remain silent.

Well, two of those names obeyed your command, anyway.
    Your command reminded me of Paul's, just a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Nobody is actually speaking. We are typing.
    Type more quitelier.

Leave a comment: