Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Adam and Eve were Homo Erectus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Adam and Eve being Homo Erectus presents no difficulty for Genesis, apart from the timing. But the timing cannot be squared with paleontology anyway.
    The Garden of Eden is Paradise - it never was on Earth.
    From the Baha'i writings, Abdu'l'-Baha, the first humans were homo sapiens beginning within the time frame of science Humans on the other hand are spiritually eternal. l:ife om Earth is /very ancient.

Adam and Eve represent the first Revelation of the first humans to know God as Monotheistic.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-18-2023, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

Wherever and however did you gather and retain all this knowledge?
    I think that you must be a University Professor.
    It's called furious Googling. She has a PhD.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

That reminds me slightly of the Islamic heaven, but without the dark eyed houris (spelling?) to serve the faithful.

I rather liked the Mayan 'creation' story....

In Mayan culture, Tepeu the maker and Gucumatz the feathered spirit created the world with their thoughts. They created beings to look after their creation. First, they made animals of the sky and land but needed a being that could properly communicate, so they made man. They made him out of clay, but he crumbled apart. Then, they tried making him out of wood but he was empty-headed and hearted. Finally, they made men out of corn, and these men were empathetic and intelligent.
    And bear in mind the importance of maize to that culture.

I agree that many creation myths have an element of charm, although some can be a little gruesome.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Presumably you hail from an illiterate society?

I think you need to remember that the ancient Hebrews did not exist in cultural or religious isolation from the civilisations of the ancient Near East. Indeed we find echoes of other mythologies in the Hebrew texts. The Baal myth was taken over by the Hebrews and transferred to Yahweh when they settled in Canaan. In Psalm seventy four verses twelve to seventeen the Hebrew poet is employing imagery paralleled from earlier Canaanite and Akkadian mythology.
    Wherever and however did you gather and retain all this knowledge?
    I think that you must be a University Professor.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Purely for information, a Paradisiacal land predates the Genesis Garden of Eden myth.

Enki and Ninhursag is one of the best preserved Sumerian myths. And begins with a eulogy of Dilmun which is described as both a land and a city where the action of the story takes place. Dilmun is described in the poem as a place that is pure, clean, and bright. It is a place where there appears to be no sickness or death and which, by the command of the Sumerian water-god Enki, has become full of sweet water, fertile fields, and farms.
    That reminds me slightly of the Islamic heaven, but without the dark eyed houris (spelling?) to serve the faithful.

I rather liked the Mayan 'creation' story....

In Mayan culture, Tepeu the maker and Gucumatz the feathered spirit created the world with their thoughts. They created beings to look after their creation. First, they made animals of the sky and land but needed a being that could properly communicate, so they made man. They made him out of clay, but he crumbled apart. Then, they tried making him out of wood but he was empty-headed and hearted. Finally, they made men out of corn, and these men were empathetic and intelligent.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    As usual, the point goes soaring miles over your head.

As usual "the point" is entirely irrelevant to the historical situation.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I think you need to remember that the ancient Hebrews did not exist in cultural or religious isolation from the civilisations of the ancient Near East. Indeed we find echoes of other mythologies in the Hebrew texts. The Baal myth was taken over by the Hebrews and transferred to Yahweh when they settled in Canaan. In Psalm seventy four verses twelve to seventeen the Hebrew poet is employing imagery paralleled from earlier Canaanite and Akkadian mythology.
    As usual, the point goes soaring miles over your head.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    And?

Again, something being recorded earlier doesn't necessarily make it the earlier account -- just the earliest one we have a record of.

For instance, here's a little thought exercise... Let's say that I tell a ghost story every Halloween for the last thirty years, but my brother decides to write down his version of my story in which he changes multiple major details. A few years later I write down the original version.

Which is the older version? My brother's later version that was written down first, or my version that predates his version by several decades but was written down later?

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

You'd be correct. Ralph Ellis is the author of this nonsense. In his previous book, "Tempest & Exodus", he went over the top with his conclusion that little gray aliens are the Grand Secret behind the Masons...
    No, you would be wrong, Arthur George is the author of "THE MYTHOLOGY OF EDEN", not Ralph Ellis.
    Last edited by JimL; 09-08-2023, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

The text of Enki and Ninhursag is based primarily on a fairly well-preserved six-column tablet excavated in Nippur. A further unprovenanced fragment was later published. Both tablets are assessed to have been inscribed in the first half of the second millennium BCE.
    And?

Again, something being recorded earlier doesn't necessarily make it the earlier account -- just the earliest one we have a record of.

For instance, here's a little thought exercise... Let's say that I tell a ghost story every Halloween for the last thirty years, but my brother decides to write down his version of my story in which he changes multiple major details. A few years later I write down the original version.

Which is the older version? My brother's later version that was written down first, or my version that predates his version by several decades but was written down later?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Something being recorded earlier doesn't necessarily make it the earlier account -- just the earliest one we have a record of.

The text of Enki and Ninhursag is based primarily on a fairly well-preserved six-column tablet excavated in Nippur. A further unprovenanced fragment was later published. Both tablets are assessed to have been inscribed in the first half of the second millennium BCE.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Purely for information, a Paradisiacal land predates the Genesis Garden of Eden myth.

Enki and Ninhursag is one of the best preserved Sumerian myths. And begins with a eulogy of Dilmun which is described as both a land and a city where the action of the story takes place. Dilmun is described in the poem as a place that is pure, clean, and bright. It is a place where there appears to be no sickness or death and which, by the command of the Sumerian water-god Enki, has become full of sweet water, fertile fields, and farms.
    Something being recorded earlier doesn't necessarily make it the earlier account -- just the earliest one we have a record of.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

You'd be correct. Ralph Ellis is the author of this nonsense. In his previous book, "Tempest & Exodus", he went over the top with his conclusion that little gray aliens are the Grand Secret behind the Masons...
    The grays are nothing but a myth created by our alien reptilian overlords.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Actually he places it in the Mediterranean basin that had dried up during the Messinian salinity crisis and ended by the Zanclean deluge when the Atlantic Ocean poured in to refill it.
    He placed all of humanity in the basin prior to the Zanclean flood which swept the ark up into the Ararat mountain range. I think he wrote about the garden of Eden as well, but can't recall if he placed it anywhere in particular ... I'm leaving that sentence fragment here to show how my posts evolve as I google for better information.

Looks like you're right.

Glenn Morton: Is the Garden of Eden real?
    The rivers of Eden describes the Eastern Mediterranean area as it was 5.3 myr ago. It points to Eden being located in the only place on earth that was flooded with a flood that matches the Biblical description of Noah’s flood. How did that happen? How is that possible? Below, I show how the Bible does match that time frame. It is up to you to decide how this occurred.

That's not at all what I kind of remembered.

Leave a comment: