Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you


This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Lord’s Prayer opening may be ‘problematic'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

    You seem to be one of those who unquestioningly accepts whatever they are shown.
    Unless I see a good reason to doubt it, I will accept it as true. You on the other hand, don't want it to be true so you dismiss it and make up excuses why it isn't genuine.

    And as a former graphic designer and video editor, I am pretty good at spotting fakes.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Sparko View Post

      Or the videos could be genuine. You have no evidence of fakery. What you are doing is arguing based on personal incredulity. It is a logical fallacy. You can do better than that.
      The fact that the woman was anonymous, and the fact that the clinic nurse first tells the patient, oh we never tell patients what we do to babies born alive (suggesting knowledge of illegality or that it's to horrid to tell the patient), and then she goes right ahead and tells the patient anyway is a dead giveaway that it is most likely a fake.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sparko View Post

        Unless I see a good reason to doubt it, I will accept it as true. You on the other hand, don't want it to be true so you dismiss it and make up excuses why it isn't genuine.
        I do find the way some of you affect to have ESP highly amusing.

        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        And as a former graphic designer and video editor, I am pretty good at spotting fakes.
        Oh look! The fallacy of an appeal to authority.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

        Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

          I do find the way some of you affect to have ESP highly amusing.
          You are the one claiming to have ESP and that the video is fake. I am merely accepting testimony unless prove false. Like with any witness.


          Oh look! The fallacy of an appeal to authority.
          You really don't understand logical fallacies, do you?



          Comment


          • Originally posted by JimL View Post

            The fact that the woman was anonymous, and the fact that the clinic nurse first tells the patient, oh we never tell patients what we do to babies born alive (suggesting knowledge of illegality or that it's to horrid to tell the patient), and then she goes right ahead and tells the patient anyway is a dead giveaway that it is most likely a fake.
            You believe what you want Jimmy. Don't let the truth get in your way.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              You are the one claiming to have ESP and that the video is fake. I am merely accepting testimony unless prove false. Like with any witness.



              You really don't understand logical fallacies, do you?

              You appear to have comprehension issues.

              I merely asked a question.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

              Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                You appear to have comprehension issues.

                I merely asked a question.
                Ah yes, the famous H_A dodge: I didn't offer an opinion! I was merely 1. Asking a Question 2. Quoting someone else.

                You are not fooling anyone except yourself, H_A.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                  That was not my point. How does anyone know that video footage that is found via websites is genuine? Particularly given the polarisation of views on abortion.
                  The first clue would be when it was first uncovered. Unless someone stole a roguetech time machine, until very recently you couldn't make even a somewhat convincing deep fake video.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The first clue would be when it was first uncovered. Unless someone stole a roguetech time machine, until very recently you couldn't make even a somewhat convincing deep fake video.
                    Still can't. Heck look at Hollywood, where they spent millions to do a faked Leia and General Tarkin in Star Wars and it still looked fake. Deep fakes are basically just ways to sub one face over another, and it takes hundreds of photos of someone from every angle to feed int the system that generates the face. It doesn't generate actual background footage or stuff like an aborted baby dying. That would take some major hollywood special FX to look convincing. Generative AI is not up to the task of creating realistic videos yet. It can barely generate still photos with the right number of fingers yet.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                      Still can't. Heck look at Hollywood, where they spent millions to do a faked Leia and General Tarkin in Star Wars and it still looked fake. Deep fakes are basically just ways to sub one face over another, and it takes hundreds of photos of someone from every angle to feed int the system that generates the face. It doesn't generate actual background footage or stuff like an aborted baby dying. That would take some major hollywood special FX to look convincing. Generative AI is not up to the task of creating realistic videos yet. It can barely generate still photos with the right number of fingers yet.
                      Saw another pix of an AI beauty the other day. First thing I did was look down at her hands. The thumb on her left hand was longer than her other fingers.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Saw another pix of an AI beauty the other day. First thing I did was look down at her hands. The thumb on her left hand was longer than her other fingers.
                        This is the current state of AI generated video. The spokesperson is AI also, and looks better than the video generators she shows. But even she is obviously fake.
                        The actual ai generated video clips look like a bad animation, with choppy movements and low frame rate.


                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          The first clue would be when it was first uncovered. Unless someone stole a roguetech time machine, until very recently you couldn't make even a somewhat convincing deep fake video.
                          The issue concerns video footage on this topic that is uploaded to web sites or social media. How do those watching such videos ascertain they are genuine?


                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

                          Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                            I consider the topic of this thread to be more appropriate to this board than Civics although if deemed it is more applicable to that board, please feel free to move it.

                            The thread title is the headline in a Guardian article on the Archbishop of York's views about the patriarchal aspect to the Lord's Prayer.

                            There is clearly dissent within the Church of England and the recent decision to allow church blessings for gay couples who have had a civil ceremony appears to be a nod towards SSM [while still opposing it in church services]. The findings of the commission may prove interesting, as are the comments from his Grace, the Archbishop.
                            If the CofE wants to keep or rebuild its congregations then it really does need to progress in to gender equality.
                            In fact it needs to progress in to a much wider view and understanding of love and partnership, not just blessing partnerships which still worry it.

                            The CofE knows that it must do this, whilst desperately trying to pull itself free of past doctrines and prejudices.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by eider View Post

                              If the CofE wants to keep or rebuild its congregations then it really does need to progress in to gender equality.
                              In fact it needs to progress in to a much wider view and understanding of love and partnership, not just blessing partnerships which still worry it.

                              The CofE knows that it must do this, whilst desperately trying to pull itself free of past doctrines and prejudices.
                              One might hope that as the "old guard" die off younger and more tolerant types might move to the upper echelons. However, the CoE strikes me as a strange hybrid of types and ideas. All that mumbo jumbo over the coronation earlier this year being just one example I read that John Cleese described it as like something out of a Monty Python sketch - all those people with peculiar titles dressed up in even more peculiar costumes.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

                              Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                                One might hope that as the "old guard" die off younger and more tolerant types might move to the upper echelons. However, the CoE strikes me as a strange hybrid of types and ideas.
                                Ah...well, whether the CofE can clean itself out to become an institution of love and understanding for all....I doubt that it will be able to for a few generations.
                                It is steeped in secret groups, mammon, power, status and privilege ...which it's inner members will cling to with all their strength.
                                I used to carry out security surveys on CofE premises for the Diocesan Board and the homes of the higher ranks were wealthy beyond wildest dreams. One study (as long as our home I should think) had a gun case about 12 feet long which held several pairs of English shotguns, any one pair being worth a freehold home.

                                They won't let go easily.

                                All that mumbo jumbo over the coronation earlier this year being just one example I read that John Cleese described it as like something out of a Monty Python sketch - all those people with peculiar titles dressed up in even more peculiar costumes.
                                John's jealous....... several of his old comedian friends have been elevated to knighthoods etc and were present at that event.
                                I'm skeptical about folks like Cleesy...... offer him a garter and he'd be on his knees faster than Charles could draw his sword.......

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Neptune7, Yesterday, 06:54 AM
                                23 responses
                                117 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Started by whag, 04-09-2024, 01:04 PM
                                96 responses
                                509 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post whag
                                by whag
                                 
                                Started by whag, 04-07-2024, 10:17 AM
                                39 responses
                                251 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post tabibito  
                                Started by whag, 03-27-2024, 03:01 PM
                                154 responses
                                1,016 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post whag
                                by whag
                                 
                                Started by whag, 03-17-2024, 04:55 PM
                                51 responses
                                353 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post whag
                                by whag
                                 
                                Working...
                                X