Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do Christian infants get to Heaven? Do all infants get to Heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Here ^^^^ a clear and concise exhibit to show that many Christians follow what Paul writes, rather than what Jesus said and did.
    There is no conflict between Jesus and Paul
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yet the works were laid on the foundation of Christ, some of gold or precious stone, some of wood or hay. Even if the idea that the works of wood or hay are in fact works of disobedience was a reasonable inference, the fact remains that sound doctrine is not built on what might be inferred. What is to become of people who falsely claim to follow Christ is made plain: they are workers of unrighteousness to whom it will be said, "away from me."
      I'm not inferring anything. It's clear from the text that the person who did temporal works that were consumed in the fire of judgment was not obedient. His works, whatever they were, were of no lasting spiritual value. He is still saved, but only as a man escaping through the flames. You may not like it, but that's what the Bible says.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There are conflicts if your interpretations of what Paul said are accurate. Jesus consistently required people to stop sinning. Jesus consistently said that obedience and righteousness are necessary to attain heaven. But as Peter (2Peter3:16) observed, Paul's writings are complex and easily wrested [(to make it seem that obedience and righteousness are not required)]

I'm not inferring anything. It's clear from the text that the person who did temporal works that were consumed in the fire of judgment was not obedient. His works, whatever they were, were of no lasting spiritual value. He is still saved, but only as a man escaping through the flames. You may not like it, but that's what the Bible says.
        I infer that the works in question are of different value and durability. You infer that the works burnt up are works of evil.
        Neither one of us can demonstrate which opinion is correct.
        Last edited by tabibito; 05-23-2023, 08:26 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• I once heard a good teaching by Dr Ed Young Senior and he said understanding grace faith and works is all about prepositions; We are saved by grace, through faith unto good works.

As for Eider's question the Bible says that the judge of the universe will judge fairly. Do you know whether you will go to heaven when you die Eider? Not being funny this is the big question of life we all should be asking ourselves.

Comment

If that is correct, then humans could not be coerced in to any kind of submission within any system.
            The promise of eternal joy to those who would believe and obey, as contrasted with the threat of eternal agony for those who didn't....... clearly this was all about acceptance and obedience.
            Presumably, if you trust in Jesus, you would obey the teachings of Jesus and Christianity. The salvation is predicated on the acceptance, the obedience is a byproduct.

I don't think so.......... just look at what happened to those who misbehaved in past eras..... definitely 'heaven' was for those who believed and obeyed, ghastly ends for those who threatened the status quo.
            Professing Christians acting in ways contrary to the teachings of Christianity who are more concerned with the temporal politics of religion is another subject entirely. I would certainly challenge you to find biblical justification for their actions.

And you are most fortunate to be free of such shackles!
            I do not profess to be a Christian at the moment.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Presumably, if you trust in Jesus, you would obey the teachings of Jesus and Christianity. The salvation is predicated on the acceptance, the obedience is a byproduct.

Professing Christians acting in ways contrary to the teachings of Christianity who are more concerned with the temporal politics of religion is another subject entirely. I would certainly challenge you to find biblical justification for their actions.

If obedience was a by-product, there would be no reason to require obedience, and there would be no need to point out that we are under an obligation to live according to the Spirit.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The basis for many of Jesus' parables are easily traceable to historic events or familiar events in general society, but this particular parable does seem to have been made up whole cloth.
                The wedding clothes represent holiness. The person who was ejected represents people who accept the invitation to be saved but refuse clean up their acts. It would be a rare preacher who would be game enough to base a sermon on that part of the parable.
                The whole story as told is just delightful.......... a king so unpopular that he needed to send his staff out to bring guests in, and then abusing one because he dressed in everyday clothes...?

THuis is the antithesis of who and what Jesus was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Oh dear...........

Comment

• Originally posted by Esther View Post
                    I once heard a good teaching by Dr Ed Young Senior and he said understanding grace faith and works is all about prepositions; We are saved by grace, through faith unto good works.

As for Eider's question the Bible says that the judge of the universe will judge fairly. Do you know whether you will go to heaven when you die Eider? Not being funny this is the big question of life we all should be asking ourselves.
                    Hello Esther......... I was dead for countless billions of ages and it was alright. I shall be dead again and it will be alright.
                    My suggestion is that people stop worrying about death and lived this life, every breath, every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I don't speak for Christians, but I know a bit about Jesus.

Comment

The whole story as told is just delightful.......... a king so unpopular that he needed to send his staff out to bring guests in, and then abusing one because he dressed in everyday clothes...?

THuis is the antithesis of who and what Jesus was.
                        Not the antithesis of Jesus at all. His primary message was, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!" Those who refuse to repent -- metaphorically, those who show up to a wedding feast in grubby clothes -- will be thrown out.

Originally posted by eider View Post

You give yourself far too much credit.

Comment

But you don't know what to believe about Christianity...correct?

And so I would need to read such a claim written by the many Christian churches out there, and denominations.

Your opinions can't speak for Christianity, can they?
                          The third post in a row to Dio from eider. By his own criteria eider has his knickers in a twist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hello Esther......... I was dead for countless billions of ages and it was alright. I shall be dead again and it will be alright.
                            My suggestion is that people stop worrying about death and lived this life, every breath, every day.
                            Being dead and not being born yet are not the same thing. Iow you were never dead, you were born like the rest of us. There was a starting point to you.
                            You have a physical body and an inner man that cannot be seen.
                            When your outer man, your body, your earthly tent dies, your inner man does not. It is not made of dust, This inner man is actually the real "you".
                            The Bible says that God has placed eternity in the hearts of men. This means there is something in you which yearns for something more than just this physical world and what it offers even at its best.

Comment

But you don't know what to believe about Christianity...correct?
                              I think I have a good idea what to believe about Christianity.

And so I would need to read such a claim written by the many Christian churches out there, and denominations.
                              Your best bet would be to start with actually reading the Bible. As denominations go, most of it is over petty minutiae. The major divides are Christology (West vs East), the filioque (Greek vs Rome & Prots), ecclesiastical structure (Greeks vs Rome vs Prots) and the five solas (Rome vs Prots). In more modern times, some churches (falsely) allow women and gay clergy and accept same-sex marriages.

Your opinions can't speak for Christianity, can they?
                              Obviously not.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I hope it's the important "bit"!

Comment