Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Series On A Violent God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Series On A Violent God

A different take on the problem of the Old Testament God vs. the New Testament God.
    A four part video series by Greg Boyd
    http://whchurch.org/sermons-media/se...cross-centered

Definitely worth consideration.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

His long awaited two part book the Crucifixion of the Warrior God just came out. I haven't read it but I'm curious what he ended up making of the Old Testament.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He has published two books on this topic which I'll be reading AFTER I watch the video series.
      https://www.amazon.com/Crucifixion-W...&keywords=boyd

***** MODERATION NOTE *****
      Please don't debate in this thread unless you've first watched all four videos.
      I'll ask any other comments to be removed.
      This topic is too important to me to take lightly, I'm not messing around here.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

"The Old Testament lies" is not a "new take".
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          He has published two books on this topic which I'll be reading AFTER I watch the video series.
          https://www.amazon.com/Crucifixion-W...&keywords=boyd

***** MODERATION NOTE *****
          Please don't debate in this thread unless you've first watched all four videos.
          I'll ask any other comments to be removed.
          This topic is too important to me to take lightly, I'm not messing around here.
          I'd love to discuss this with you, but it's gonna take a while to listen to the sermons and read the books. I'm already behind on my Dawkin's project. I may jump in into the future at some point too.

fwiw,
          guacamole
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

I will say that requiring people to watch four 40 minute videos before weighing in pretty much guarantees you won't get much participation in a thread.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              A different take on the problem of the Old Testament God vs. the New Testament God.
              A four part video series by Greg Boyd
              http://whchurch.org/sermons-media/se...cross-centered

Definitely worth consideration.
              I listened to the first five minutes. I think it reasonable to assume that he won't say anything that I haven't already heard.

Comment

Actually isn't it against tweb rules to send someone to watch 3-4 hours of video before participating in a thread? the idea of these discussions is to discuss ideas, not send each other to read mountains of material. if there's anything in the videos gerbil wants to talk about he should present the material in his own words and go from there.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I'm just going to look at description of videos from link of rodent, and

If we read the Old Testament assuming that it all is about the cross of Christ, then we can see how God stooped to the level of the cultural conditioning of the Old Testament authors to allow himself to be portrayed as violent.

No, it's culture conditioning of people now that don't allow God to be portrayed as violent.

Why are moderns such special special people?? 'Those ancient people all culturally conditioned, but we specially Enlightened '
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    I'd love to discuss this with you, but it's gonna take a while to listen to the sermons and read the books. I'm already behind on my Dawkin's project. I may jump in into the future at some point too.

fwiw,
                    guacamole
                    It will take me awhile to get through the videos and longer to get through the books.
                    No rush.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I will say that requiring people to watch four 40 minute videos before weighing in pretty much guarantees you won't get much participation in a thread.
                      I want to discuss it with people who are interested in the topic.
                      This thread is about finding people who want to dig into it.

Comment

For Those Interested:
                        How about we give time for guacamole to finish up his Dawkins stuff (1)? We'll give him until July 1st, 2017 at which point I'll initiate a thread where we can delve into this theory of Boyd's. The thread will be only for people who've watched all 4 videos and who have purchased the books. We could take a chapter per week (2) and work our way through the series, kind of like a book club sort of thing. If you're interested sign up in this thread and I'll add it to my calendar. It would be good to have some skeptics along for the ride. Does that seem like a plan? (3)

NOTES
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                        1: A complete waste of time.
                        2: We'll move slowly for guacamole, because you know, this Dawkins thing has been ongoing for ages.
                        3: We need a plan because we aren't going to destroy western Christianity without a plan.

Comment

I in.
                          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Actually isn't it against tweb rules to send someone to watch 3-4 hours of video before participating in a thread? the idea of these discussions is to discuss ideas, not send each other to read mountains of material. if there's anything in the videos gerbil wants to talk about he should present the material in his own words and go from there.
                            If he were presenting it as an argument (like John Martin does) then yeah it would be against the rules, but this is more like a bible study discussion, or discussing a book people have read and giving a link to the book. You don't have to participate if you don't want to, and he is not presenting any specific argument that you need to respond to but can't until you read the "mountain of material"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                              I in.
                              I dub you Minion #1.

Comment