Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quote by CS Lewis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    wow even used the same example I did. I never read that book either.
    Clearly the only possible explanation is that you are the reincarnation of CSL.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      Or Lewis was the preincarnation of Sparko.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        That must be it. I wonder if I can get the publishers to start sending me the royalties from his books?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Or Lewis was the preincarnation of Sparko.
          Don't be silly there isn't any such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I imagine it would be along the lines of staring down the barrel of a gun while being told to renounce Christ if you want to live. It is then that you really find out if you do believe in Christ no matter what the cost.
            According to the quotation, Lewis was talking about any belief. Most beliefs don't come with a stipulation that the belief doesn't count unless you're willing to be martyred for it.

If someone credibly threatens to kill me unless I deny evolution, I will deny evolution without a second thought, but my doing so won't make me a creationist.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
              According to the quotation, Lewis was talking about any belief. Most beliefs don't come with a stipulation that the belief doesn't count unless you're willing to be martyred for it.

If someone credibly threatens to kill me unless I deny evolution, I will deny evolution without a second thought, but my doing so won't make me a creationist.
              You make a good point.
              Some people are willing to die for their belief but many would not, true.
              So it borders on impossible then to imagine that some would die for what they know is a flat out lie.

Comment

You may be right within the context of evolution. There is no such option in Christ - He made it clear that if a believer denies him, Christ will deny that believer as well. This is clear in more than one place in the Bible.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
                  So it borders on impossible then to imagine that some would die for what they know is a flat out lie.
                  My imagination can handle it. Whether it has ever actually happened, I have no knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    You may be right within the context of evolution. There is no such option in Christ - He made it clear that if a believer denies him, Christ will deny that believer as well. This is clear in more than one place in the Bible.
                    That is why I mentioned the stipulation.

Comment

That is why I mentioned the stipulation.
                      There is this creed which comes to mind:
                      2 Timothy 2:11-13, 14,
                      [It is] a faithful saying: For if we be dead with [him], we shall also live with [him]: If we suffer, we shall also reign with [him]: if we deny [him], he also will deny us: If we believe not, [yet] he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Of these things put [them] in remembrance, charging [them] before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, [but] to the subverting of the hearers.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment