Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quote by CS Lewis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote by CS Lewis

The Theistic Metaphysics highlights this quote from CS Lewis:

"You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood become a matter of life and death to you." -- C.S. Lewis

What is a matter of life and death? Does this amount to a Pascal's Wager.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I imagine it would be along the lines of staring down the barrel of a gun while being told to renounce Christ if you want to live. It is then that you really find out if you do believe in Christ no matter what the cost.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      I imagine it would be along the lines of staring down the barrel of a gun while being told to renounce Christ if you want to live. It is then that you really find out if you do believe in Christ no matter what the cost.
      As I guessed, Pascal's Wager. There is no barrel, nor gun, just fear of the dark at the end of the cave.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        As I guessed, Pascal's Wager. There is no barrel, nor gun, just fear of the dark at the end of the cave.
        What are you taking about? I think it is clear that Lewis is basically asking if you would die for your beliefs. That has nothing to do Pascal's Wager.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

He is saying that a lot of people just pay lip service to their beliefs (religious or otherwise) - and even they don't know the difference until it really matters.

You can say all day long you believe a certain rope is strong enough to hold your weight, but until you decide to test that faith by crossing a 1000 foot drop by hanging on the rope, you won't know if you really believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            He is saying that a lot of people just pay lip service to their beliefs (religious or otherwise) - and even they don't know the difference until it really matters.

You can say all day long you believe a certain rope is strong enough to hold your weight, but until you decide to test that faith by crossing a 1000 foot drop by hanging on the rope, you won't know if you really believe it or not.
            Right, and I just don't get how Shuny got Pascal's Wager out of this - just more of his reflexive hatred of Christianity.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Right, and I just don't get how Shuny got Pascal's Wager out of this - just more of his reflexive hatred of Christianity.
              maybe he doesn't know what Pascal's wager is?

Comment

maybe he doesn't know what Pascal's wager is?
                Ya think! Now he will have to google it!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  What are you taking about? I think it is clear that Lewis is basically asking if you would die for your beliefs. That has nothing to do Pascal's Wager.
                  I do not believe that is the purpose CS Lewis proposes. Nothing here about dying for what you believe. It is basically facing death, "fear of consequences." makes one question what one believes in terms of truth or falsehood. Something a kin to foolish 'there are no atheists in the fox holes.'

Frank

Comment

I do not believe that is the purpose CS Lewis proposes. Nothing here about dying for what you believe. It is basically facing death, "fear of consequences." makes one question what one believes in terms of truth or falsehood. Something a kin to foolish 'there are no atheists in the fox holes.'
                    Following after Sparko. Here is the direct quote from Lewis.

You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you. It is easy to say you believe a rope to be strong and sound as long as you are merely using it to cord a box. But suppose you had to hang by that rope over a precipice. Wouldn’t you then first discover how much you really trusted it? The same with people. For years I would have said that I had perfect confidence in B.R. Then came the moment when I had to decide whether I would or would not trust him with a really important secret. That threw quite a new light on what I called my ‘confidence’ in him. I discovered that there was no such thing. Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.
                    from A Grief Observed

fwiw,
                    guacamole
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

You seem to be having problems with simple reading comprehension, Frank. It says nothing of the sort. He is simply saying that you don't know what you really believe until that belief is put to the test. It is easy to SAY you believe in something when there are no consequences to that belief. But when there are consequences, then you will find out if you really believe or not.

Comment

Funny Shuny, you seem to be the only one coming to this conclusion. This has nothing to do with Pascal's Wager, and I would have no problem if it did - so on this point I do not have a dog in this fight. But we all know how much you dislike Christ and His Church so you take cheap shots wherever you can.

Comment

I think he's bored and trolling at this point.
                          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                            Following after Sparko. Here is the direct quote from Lewis.

from A Grief Observed

fwiw,
                            guacamole
                            wow even used the same example I did. I never read that book either.

Comment

wow even used the same example I did. I never read that book either.
                              Great pirates think alike!

Comment