Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Christianity lose its way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Original Sin is not to be found in scripture. That concept developed from the fourth or perhaps third century.
    Your still avoiding yjr fact the the belief in the Fall and original sin lies at the heart of the beliefs of all the major Christian denominations and their justification of Jesus Christ's purpose. Are you a memeber of one of the minor sects of Christianity that does not believe in the Fall and Original Sin?

Yes, on occasion. No-one goes throughout life invariably sinning.
    Very odd idealistic view of the nature of humanity. All humans are sinners regardless of whether God exists ot not. Splitting frog hairs over the degree humans are sinners does not help your case.

The signs are simple enough, if the truth has been received, the person's life will conform with the teachings. If you are saying that no-one avoided sinning, you are correct. If you are saying that no-one can avoid sin, you are incorrect. Scant few have, and it is to be expected that every now and then, a scant few will.
    This remains a totally unrealistic response to the nature of sin and the fallible human nature. You cannot parse sin be degree since it is the nature of humans to sin lie and cheat be degree and justify their sins.

ETA: Part of Jesus' mission was to make it possible for people who receive the truth to be set free from bondage to sin. A person unable to stop sinning has not been set free from bondage to sin. The concept of theosis predates the concept of original sin by at least a couple of centuries.
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Original Sin is not to be found in scripture. That concept developed from the fourth or perhaps third century.
    Not found in scripture? There are many things not literally found in Scripture believe universally by most Christians, In clear contradiction to the beliefs of Christians in the history of Christianity the belief in the Fall and Original Sin is almost universally believed.

Third cetury??? No known scripture of Christianity is known to exist prior to 150-200 AD. The text and beliefs evolved and developed in their final form beyond this from unknown texts.

Yes, on occasion. No-one goes throughout life invariably sinning.
    The first clear honest statement you have made in response to my posts.

The signs are simple enough, if the truth has been received, the person's life will conform with the teachings. If you are saying that no-one avoided sinning, you are correct. If you are saying that no-one can avoid sin, you are incorrect. Scant few have, and it is to be expected that every now and then, a scant few will.

ETA: Part of Jesus' mission was to make it possible for people who receive the truth to be set free from bondage to sin. A person unable to stop sinning has not been set free from bondage to sin. The concept of theosis predates the concept of original sin by at least a couple of centuries.
    The big issue which you are ignoring is the question IF the 'Truth' is revealed, which is in contradiction with the fact that be far the overwhelming dominate belief in Christianity is that the Fall and the Original Sin is revealed truth

Based on the facts of the history of Christianity and fallible human nature the view you are presenting your own 'personal view' and idealistically vague.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Your still avoiding yjr fact the the belief in the Fall and original sin lies at the heart of the beliefs of all the major Christian denominations
      The core of the story of the fall is factual, I believe. The concept of original sin owes its origin to beliefs that are contrary to what is found in scripture.

and their justification of Jesus Christ's purpose.
      Among the aims of Christ's advent was to make it possible for a person to be set free from sin.

Are you a memeber of one of the minor sects of Christianity that does not believe in The Fall and Original Sin?
      Much of what I say was taught by the Celtic Church (RIP ca 8th century) throughout its history. The fall and original sin are separate issues. The fall had a fall-out which affected future generations, but each is responsible for his own sins - sin is not inherited.

Very odd idealistic view of the nature of humanity. All humans are sinners regardless of whether God exists ot not. Splitting frog hairs over the degree humans are sinners does not help your case.

This remains a totally unrealistic response to the nature of sin and the fallible human nature. You cannot parse sin be degree since it is the nature of humans to sin lie and cheat be degree and justify their sins.
      Much like alcoholism, past sin is something that is with the person for life, there is no such thing as an ex-alcoholic nor an ex-sinner. Much like the alcoholic avoiding alcohol and remaining sober, sinners can avoid sin, but only under the aegis of the Holy Spirit. The whole point of bestowing the Holy Spirit is to make it possible to transcend human limitations.

Not found in scripture? There are many things not literally found in Scripture believe universally by most Christians, In clear contradiction to the beliefs of Christians in the history of Christianity the belief in the Fall and Original Sin is almost universally believed.
      What is almost universally believed is irrelevant.

Third century??? No known scripture of Christianity is known to exist prior to 150-200 AD. The text and beliefs evolved and developed in their final form beyond this from unknown texts.
      Paul's letters date to the middle decades of the first century, so too the book of Hebrews. Any attempt to claim that the scriptures were substantially changed in later times fails. Such concepts as original sin, and the continuing godhood of Christ from conception to death are contradicted by scripture; the contradictions are to be found in Paul's letters and in Hebrews (also Acts). If the churches had made major changes to scripture, those contradictions would have been eliminated.

The first clear honest statement you have made in response to my posts.
      ?

The big issue which you are ignoring is the question IF the 'Truth' is revealed, which is in contradiction with the fact that be far the overwhelming dominate belief in Christianity is that the Fall and the Original Sin is revealed truth.
      I feel free to disagree with any claim that can't be substantiated.

Based on the facts of the history of Christianity and fallible human nature the view you are presenting your own 'personal view' and idealistically vague.
      If this so called "my personal view" can be shown to contradict scripture, my personal view will be amended. Otherwise, I am stating what the founding members of the church taught, not a personal view.

Last edited by tabibito; 02-22-2023, 10:05 AM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment