Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Christianity lose its way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You claim to have read Hebrews, so how did you miss this:

Scripture Verse: Hebrews 10

For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

© Copyright Original Source

Nice quote for the justification of 'receiving the truth' unfortunately many diverse and conflicting groups of believers start their own church claiming they have 'received the truth' and Christianity has lost it's way. Of course, some claim they are not really a church, but the true 'Way.'
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Nice quote for the justification of 'receiving the truth' unfortunately many diverse and conflicting groups of believers start their own church claiming they have 'received the truth' and Christianity has lost it's way. Of course, some claim they are not really a church, but the true 'Way.'
      How the heck did you misread that quote so badly? It was not about "receiving the truth" but about continuing to deliberately sin after being saved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

How the heck did you misread that quote so badly? It was not about "receiving the truth" but about continuing to deliberately sin after being saved.
        It's shuny.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You have misread the citation to justify your agenda in the greater context. Both apply the citation was very very specific when referring to 'receiving the truth.' Considering the many diverse conflicting claims of receiving the truth remains a problem. The concept Biblically in Christianity is that because of the FALL and the original sin we are all condemned to deliberately sin.'
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It's shuny.

Phiffffftt airball! is a meaningless nonresponse . . .

You like Sparko have misread the citation to justify your agenda without the greater context and the context of the thread. Both apply the citation was very very specific when referring to 'receiving the truth.' Considering the many diverse conflicting claims of receiving the truth remains a problem. The concept Biblically in Christianity is that because of the FALL and the original sin we are ALL condemned to deliberately sin and do.'

Frank

Comment

You have misread the citation to justify your agenda in the greater context. Both apply the citation was very very specific when referring to 'receiving the truth.' Considering the many diverse conflicting claims of receiving the truth remains a problem. The concept Biblically in Christianity is that because of the FALL and the original sin we are all condemned to deliberately sin.'
              You sound like an insane chatbot, Shuny.

Comment

It is a side-note, though not the theme. Of course, "receiving" involves somewhat more than merely having it given.

because of the FALL and the original sin we are all condemned to deliberately sin.'
                "Original sin" is a concept foreign to scripture," "Condemned to deliberately sin" ... ON OCCASION ... unless the truth has been received, at which time deliberately sinning is no longer unavoidable.
                Last edited by tabibito; 02-21-2023, 10:48 AM.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Insults are a failure to respond.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It is a side-note, though not the theme. Of course, "receiving" involves somewhat more than merely having it given.

"Original sin" is a concept foreign to scripture," "Condemned to deliberately sin" ... ON OCCASION ... unless the truth has been received, at which time deliberately sinning is no longer unavoidable.
                    The Fall and Original Sin are foundation beliefs of Christianity based on the dominant Christian interpretation of scripture for over two millennia..

ON OCCASION????

. . . unless the truth has been received?!?!? How do you 'judge' when truth is received? As far as the objective evidence stands no one has avoided 'sinning.' It is the nature of being human regardless of whether God exists or not.

Frank

Comment

The Fall and Original Sin are foundation beliefs of Christianity based on the dominant Christian interpretation of scripture for over two millennia.
                      Original Sin is not to be found in scripture. That concept developed from the fourth or perhaps third century.

ON OCCASION????
                      Yes, on occasion. No-one goes throughout life invariably sinning.

unless the truth has been received?!?!? How do you 'judge' when truth is received? As far as the objective evidence stands no one has avoided 'sinning.' It is the nature of being human regardless of whether God exists or not.
                      The signs are simple enough, if the truth has been received, the person's life will conform with the teachings. If you are saying that no-one avoided sinning, you are correct. If you are saying that no-one can avoid sin, you are incorrect. Scant few have, and it is to be expected that every now and then, a scant few will.

ETA: Part of Jesus' mission was to make it possible for people who receive the truth to be set free from bondage to sin. A person unable to stop sinning has not been set free from bondage to sin. The concept of theosis predates the concept of original sin by at least a couple of centuries.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 02-21-2023, 11:36 PM.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He talked about what Jesus did all the time. How he created the world, how he sacrificed himself for our sins, how he died and was resurrected, how he visited him on the road to Damascus, etc. You just keep ignoring that and repeating your nonsense. Your biggest problem is that you have never bothered to READ Paul's letters and seem to be relying on some third party source for your "facts".
                        But none of those claims focus upon what he actually did and said........ Mark's gospel includes a whole year in Jesus's life, G-John claims a whole three years in his life, and yet not one amazing incident worth recording b y Paul?

But you're right.......... I don't believe that Jesus created the universe, nor was resurrected, nor spoke with Saul on the road.
                        Paul's letters are crucial for an HC student, not an HJ student.

Comment

Insults are a failure to respond.
                          When folks throw insults, this is a sure sign that they have nothing of value to offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
                            When folks throw insults, this is a sure sign that they have nothing of value to offer.
                            Or the person they are trying to communicate with is an obstinate noodlehead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's really strange that an author who wasn't writing a biography should somehow omit biographical information in his writing.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Sounds like your methods of responding to posts with insult, cartoons and not substance concerning the issues of the thread, which mirrors the fundamentalist Christian opposition to evolution/

Frank

Comment