Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Christianity lose its way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post
    No it was not!
    It was as the Abrahamic God explained.....
    See how God explained it:-
    LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.

DEUTERONOMY {5:33} Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess. {6:1} Now these [are] the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments,
    What's your point? God gave them laws and then a system of sacrifices to get forgiveness for their sins and breaking that law. The whole "scape goat" thing for example. That is what the Temple was all about. The priests would sacrifice animals for the sins of the people. In other words, God knew that nobody would be able to keep the Law and they needed a way to get forgiveness. They had to do this regularly.

I think you lost your way there..... this is what Jesus said:-
    Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
    shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

=restoration of the old laws.
    No. His fulfillment was to keep the law perfectly (no sin) and then become the ultimate sacrifice for sin, once and for all. No more sacrificing animals every year, no more temple. Now everyone who accepts Jesus' sacrifice is saved from all sin for all time and can come to God directly instead of through a priest.

PLEASE read Hebrews, eider. It's not that long. It corrects most of your wrong assumptions and will save us a lot of time. Unless you already know you are wrong and just don't care and are trolling?

Jesus redacted the need for sacrifices, saying. But you have sneaked the entire law in with that!
    Matthew {9:13} But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Now show me where Jesus said that there was no more need for the Law.
    The "Law" is still there but Jesus explained that it can be summed up by 1: Loving God with all your heart and 2: Loving your neighbor as yourself.

All of the moral parts of the Law were reiterated in the New Testament, such as "You shall not kill" and the rest of the 10 commandments. So yeah the Law is still there. It shows us what sin is. But because of Jesus, we no longer have to sacrifice animals for forgiveness. Jesus was the final sacrifice. Him being a sinless sacrifice and also the Son of God allows him to take all of our sins upon himself and pay our "debt" so that when we stand before God, we are forgiven.

As Paul said:

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%203&version=NIV

Romans 3
    What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
    11 there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.

19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

Righteousness Through Faith

21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith inJesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

© Copyright Original Source

Nowhere, anywhere in the book of Hebrews does Paul quote Jesus!

Your religion seems to ignore what Jesus said and make Paul your prophet....... truly!

Hebrews explains the sacrificial system and how Jesus came to be the final sacrifice for all time.

Have you ever actually read the bible? Even the New Testament? If not, you really have no business trying to tell us what it says and what it means. Just searching phrases without reading the surrounding books tells you nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

PLEASE read Hebrews, eider. It's not that long. It corrects most of your wrong assumptions and will save us a lot of time. Unless you already know you are wrong and just don't care and are trolling?

We should open a betting pool over which will happen first, H_A actually reading the Bible for the first time ever, or eider reading Hebrews.

My money is on eider.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        We should open a betting pool over which will happen first, H_A actually reading the Bible for the first time ever, or eider reading Hebrews.

My money is on eider.
        I am sure he will find a way to twist what Hebrews says to his paradigm.

Comment

My money is on eider.
          Knowing eider, he would opt for a copy of The Skeptics Annotated Bible.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            The Old Covenant/Testament did, however, continue in force until Jesus' death.
            I don't think that Jesus died on that Friday.
            But if you can show how you think that the OC died on that Friday then please do show it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Jesus explicitly said that his purpose was to fulfill the law, which he did through his death and resurrection. He also clearly told his disciples that with his sacrifice, he was giving them a New Covenant; therefore, we are no longer living under the terms of the Old Covenant.
              Sources? Verses to show that?

Comment

It is exactly what you are doing. You select some verses and start making artificial connections to support something that the verses simply are not saying.
                Again! Here is a small selection of those verses. Just pick any two and tell me how they are not a clear continuation of exactly the same subject....... the law.

I've given you three easy ones to start, and then we can move forward from there.....

EXODUS{18:19} Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: {18:20} And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.

LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.

DEUTERONOMY {5:33} Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess. {6:1} Now these [are] the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments,

Comment

I don't think that Jesus died on that Friday.
                  But if you can show how you think that the OC died on that Friday then please do show it.
                  Can't be done: It was a Thursday. And quite clearly he did die: there are few books of the New Testament that don't declare it. Revelation 1:17-18 ; Revelation 2:18 attribute the claim to Christ himself. Among the many other texts declaring that Jesus died is Romans 14:9
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

What's your point? God gave them laws and then a system of sacrifices to get forgiveness for their sins and breaking that law. The whole "scape goat" thing for example. That is what the Temple was all about. The priests would sacrifice animals for the sins of the people. In other words, God knew that nobody would be able to keep the Law and they needed a way to get forgiveness. They had to do this regularly.
                    No.... I don't think you have got this right at all.
                    The laws were all about producing a strong, successful, healthy, safe. secure and cohesive people. All that sin led to was a reduction in this.
                    Sacrifices, fines and temple tax were all about the cohesion of a system and financial upkeep of the Priesthood and company, 2000 priests and 6000 (Jewish) temple guards in Jesus's time.

You think of 'sin' in a totally different way. We have a form of sacrifice, fines and taxes today (UK) with much ceremony, strange dress codes and more.......

No. His fulfillment was to keep the law perfectly (no sin) and then become the ultimate sacrifice for sin, once and for all. No more sacrificing animals every year, no more temple. Now everyone who accepts Jesus' sacrifice is saved from all sin for all time and can come to God directly instead of through a priest.
                    No....... his fulfillment was to either bring down the corrupt priesthood or to restore an honest priesthood, I reckon. Christianity reduces his actions in the Temple and raises up some others.

Disagreeing with Christianity is not trolling, it's disagreeing with Christianity. Paul never supported the actions and words of Jesus at all, only making mention of the last meal and hours). But if you can find anything in any of Paul's letters that is in context with those verses which I have shown from Genesis thru to Jesus, please show it.

The "Law" is still there but Jesus explained that it can be summed up by 1: Loving God with all your heart and 2: Loving your neighbor as yourself.

All of the moral parts of the Law were reiterated in the New Testament, such as "You shall not kill" and the rest of the 10 commandments. So yeah the Law is still there. It shows us what sin is. But because of Jesus, we no longer have to sacrifice animals for forgiveness. Jesus was the final sacrifice. Him being a sinless sacrifice and also the Son of God allows him to take all of our sins upon himself and pay our "debt" so that when we stand before God, we are forgiven.
                    Jesus included the lot when he gave this short and easily understood rule:-
                    Matthew ? {7:12} Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

That includes everything, all of it.

As Paul said:

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%203&version=NIV

Romans 3
                    What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
                    11 there is no one who understands;
                    there is no one who seeks God.

19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

Righteousness Through Faith

21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith inJesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

Paul decided all that by himself. At no point was he able to show the words of any prophet that would support his ideas.

Hebrews explains the sacrificial system and how Jesus came to be the final sacrifice for all time.

Have you ever actually read the bible? Even the New Testament? If not, you really have no business trying to tell us what it says and what it means. Just searching phrases without reading the surrounding books tells you nothing.

Paul explained his ideas about the law.
                    I have shown that I have read the bible, and have quoted a continuous line of verses reaching from Genesis to Jesus.

I don't believe what you do, but that doesn't make me a troll.

Comment

Knowing eider, he would opt for a copy of The Skeptics Annotated Bible.
                      You, rogue06 and Sparko all have just had a chat about me in the third person......... I am here once every day to answer you directly.
                      I might be a pagan but I absolutely believe in the Baptist and Jesus and much of what they are reported to have said and done.
                      I just don't believe that Paul was a prophet......

Comment

Sources? Verses to show that?
                        I've already quoted the relevant verses, you willful moron.

Comment

I've already quoted the relevant verses, you willful moron.
                          Ha ha...! When you start chucking your filth about, that's the signal that you have lost your way as well!

You wrote to me:-

Jesus explicitly said that his purpose was to fulfill the law, which he did through his death and resurrection. He also clearly told his disciples that with his sacrifice, he was giving them a New Covenant; therefore, we are no longer living under the terms of the Old Covenant.
                          But can't just show what you think he said.
                          I can do better..... this is what he really said, and (unlike you you lazy member) I don't mind repeating it every time I mention it:-

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

So, Mountain Man..... think not that Jesus came to destroy the law or the words of the prophets.

Comment

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

So, Mountain Man..... think not that Jesus came to destroy the law or the words of the prophets.
                            And think not that they (i.e. the laws of Moses and the prophets) weren't fulfilled.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Ha ha...! When you start chucking your filth about, that's the signal that you have lost your way as well!

I can do better..... this is what he really said, and (unlike you you lazy member) I don't mind repeating it every time I mention it:-

And here's the part you repeatedly ignore, you fool: "I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

You're just wasting our time with your stiff-necked wilful ignorance.

Scripture Verse: Matthew 7

"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you."

Comment

So Jesus said not one jot or tittle of the law shall pass until ALL BE FULFILLED. And he said he came to FULFILL the Law.

What does that tell you eider? Come on, it's easy.

Comment