Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Christianity lose its way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faber View Post
    I did some searching. That was Dr. Gene Scott, He died in 2005 at the age of 75. He owned four television stations. The FCC shut down three of them and he managed to sell the fourth before the FCC could shut that one down.

There is a lot about him on the internet, but I don't want to derail this thread.
    gene scott.jpg
    Yeah, I posted this yesterday...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Why not tell me that? And you can show me where the verses shown do not have continuity and contect?
      ...looking forward to that, if you can do it.
      Sure.
      First of all, context, not contect, yes?

Context - from the Latin contextus - to weave together.

It's not so easy as looking up the same instances of an English word.
      It's all about meanings.
      Context is, basically, what the original author or speaker was saying to the original reader or audience, along with the circumstances at the time, taking into consideration the culture, and paying particular attention to the paragraph or chapter or whatever larger body of work in which that word was used. Why it was used - what it was intended to convey.

So, in the example of the word "way", when you find a usage that discusses the way a man courts a woman, or "the way of an eagle in the sky", it's obviously not the same as "the way", used in reference to the Church, or the directions given to know "the way" to the local post office.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Tell me........ and show me how I am wrong. Or is that beyond your debating grade?
        Is this taunting really necessary? It generally shows you know you're losing the argument.

Comment

Sure.

It's all about meanings.
          Context is, basically, what the original author or speaker was saying to the original reader or audience, along with the circumstances at the time, taking into consideration the culture, and paying particular attention to the paragraph or chapter or whatever larger body of work in which that word was used. Why it was used - what it was intended to convey.

So, in the example of the word "way", when you find a usage that discusses the way a man courts a woman, or "the way of an eagle in the sky", it's obviously not the same as "the way", used in reference to the Church, or the directions given to know "the way" to the local post office.
          Generally taking what some said or wrote "out of context" means extracting it and presenting it in a way to convey basically the opposite of what the source actually said.

Quote mining is another term for it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sure.

It's all about meanings.

Thank you I would not have explained it as well as you have here.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were proclaimed until John, (in the time) since the kingdom of heaven is being proclaimed. (translations vary quite widely, but the sense is retained.)

Hebrews 8:6-13
              6 ... He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
              13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Galatians 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

That should do for a start

The Old Covenant was rendered obsolete, it was replaced with the New Covenant - which has its own laws, some of which are similar to the Old Testament law.
              They were proclaimed AFTER John as shown below, but you've delivered my next part of the presentation.
              See how Paul has stepped away from what Jesus and the Baptist stood for?
              His kind of Christianity certainly lost it's way.

See what Jesus thought and said:-

Matthew: Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of
              righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans
              and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,]
              repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the
              prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For
              verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or
              one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be
              fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of
              these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall
              be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
              shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in
              the kingdom of heaven.

Comment

Sure.

It's all about meanings.

Stop waffling, and show me one or more of those verses which do not connect the law and the Abrahamic God's way together?
                Jesus was quite clear about the Baptist, who was quite clear about what Isaiah said. The old laws passed from the old prophets to the new prophets as in the Baptist.
                Now come on......... show me where Jesus didn't support Isaiah's call.

the kingdom of heaven.

Comment

Is this taunting really necessary? It generally shows you know you're losing the argument.
                  Nah.......... I doubt there is any reply but such as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Generally taking what some said or wrote "out of context" means extracting it and presenting it in a way to convey basically the opposite of what the source actually said.

Quote mining is another term for it.

Luv it! Whenever you are stuck for an intelligent reply you waffle, and your pics get bigger.
                    Redirection much?
                    Or can you show where those verses do not all support each other in a continuous time-line?

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

Thank you I would not have explained it as well as you have here.
                      Then you too are stuck for any meaningful reply, it seems.
                      The verses showed that Jesus supported the Baptist's message which repeated Isaiah's call for a return to the laws, which was the theme of his work imo.

All 613 were of great value back then. Jesus showed how one of two were outdated, while Paul trashed nearly the whole lot, it was like a trip to the salad bar for him, picking here and there.
                      No?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Right. Even when Capitalized, it's often the name of an actual physical, geographical road or path, and that Capitalization varies among translators.
                        Now please pick out one of the verses shown in my OP and tell me which of these is talking about something other than God's law?
                        No?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I can repeat what others have already said. You are taking verses out of context, sticking them together and giving them your own unique "spin."

You might as well be combining Matthew 27:5b with Luke 10:37b
                          More waffle from you.
                          Pick any two verses shown in the OP and then show how they do not have a similar message?

Try these:-

the kingdom of heaven.

Comment

I did guess that the redirection, discussions about the OP in the third person, nearly the whole response was just waffle, with (so far) nobody showing how any of the verses shown are out of continuity, context, support or empathy with each other.

I've selected a very few of these to save space, and now I need to be shown how any one of these means something else.
                            Obviously you can tell me if any of the verses are wrong in some way, but you would need to show support for that.

Just a few from the beginning until and including what Jesus said.................

EXODUS{18:19} Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: {18:20} And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.

Here is God's explanation for what happened to those who did not keep the laws, just for your info....:- LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.

DEUTERONOMY {5:33} Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess. {6:1} Now these [are] the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments,

SAMUEL {22:22} For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. {22:23} For all his judgments [were] before me: and [as for] his statutes,

PSALMS {18:21} For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. {18:22} For all his judgments [were] before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.

ISAIAH {40:3} The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. {40:4} Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

Matthew {3:3} For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mark {1:3} The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. {1:4} John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke {3:4} As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Matthew {11:12} And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. {11:13} For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. {11:14} And if ye will receive [it,] this is Elias, which was for to come. {11:15} He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
                            shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,] repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew {7:12} Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

.......... ??

Comment

Matthew {11:12} And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. {11:13} For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. {11:14} And if ye will receive [it,] this is Elias, which was for to come. {11:15} He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
                              shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,] repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew {7:12} Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

.......... ??
                              The provisions of the covenant are termed the law. The New Covenant supplanted the Old Covenant, it is not a tacked on extra. The provisions/law of the New Covenant are not the same as the provisions/law of the Old. The Old Covenant has a law against murder, so does the New: The definition of what constitutes murder are not the same in the Old as in the New.

Matthew 5:17 states that Jesus came to fulfil the law, Matthew 5:18 states that until heaven and earth pass away, no part of the law can pass away unless the law is fulfilled - there is no need for both conditions to be met, so the formally correct "until heaven and earth pass away ... until the law is fulfilled" is misleading - should heaven and earth pass away before the law was fulfilled, there would be no chance for the law to be fulfilled. In Matthew 11:12 Jesus states that the law and the prophets were until John. That "until" could have its end point right up until John's death. But for the "since," it could have continued for a short time after his death, the "since" imposes a fixed latest possible terminating date. With his own death, Jesus ushers in the New Covenant.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Luv it! Whenever you are stuck for an intelligent reply you waffle, and your pics get bigger.
                                Redirection much?
                                Or can you show where those verses do not all support each other in a continuous time-line?
                                It was an addendum to me brudder's post about context, specifically regarding what out of context is.

Odd that you'd take it any other way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment