Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Christianity lose its way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eider View Post
    I told that this presentation is lengthy, so let's see how this pans out.
    It's kinda like watching a movie, and about 15 minutes in, you think "wow, this is going nowhere slowly!", and change the channel.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's kinda like watching a movie, and about 15 minutes in, you think "wow, this is going nowhere slowly!", and change the channel.
      He seems to think "the way" has some special meaning every time it appears in scripture, but then you have verses like the following which renders his hypothesis nonsensical:

Scripture Verse: Genesis 16:7

The angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, the spring on the way to Shur.

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: Genesis 18:11

Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah.

Scripture Verse: Judges 1:24

And the spies saw a man coming out of the city, and they said to him, “Please show us the way into the city, and we will deal kindly with you.”

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 8:11

For the Lord spoke thus to me with his strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people...

And literally hundreds of other verses.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

He seems to think "the way" has some special meaning every time it appears in scripture, but then you have verses like the following which renders his hypothesis nonsensical:

The angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, the spring on the way to Shur.

Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah.

And the spies saw a man coming out of the city, and they said to him, “Please show us the way into the city, and we will deal kindly with you.”

For the Lord spoke thus to me with his strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people...

EGGzackly.... looking up similar words, not similar intent.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK. So change the channel.

Comment

I don't take orders from foreign agents.

Comment

So much for your abilities with comprehension I mentioned that roads and such will slow me down a great deal.

The verses which I selected show that the way in these refers to law.
              So much for your ideas about context.

Comment

PRESENTATION PART FOUR.....

A review of 'G-Matthew' seems to show mentions of 'the way' or the Baptist who brought 'the way' from the prophets. Here they are as spoken by the priesthood, Jesus and the Baptist, all....

Matthew {7:14} Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. {7:15} Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing,

Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,] repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew 22:16} And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any [man:] for thou regardest not the person of men. {22:17} Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

The priests acknowledged that Jesus spoke of 'the way' before offering their question about the law.

I will review G-Mark next.
                Sometimes the words, "the way" are just that, and not referring to "the Way" as Christianity was initially called. The Eisogeses is strong with you, eider. You read the bible like one of those cult guys that forces their meanings into obscure verses to prove whatever heretical point they want to make. The Christians took the name "the Way" because Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life" - but that doesn't mean every mention of the words "the way" are connected to the name of the new religion.

Comment

He can't help but watch, like watching a train wreck.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We're like those guys in Mystery Science Theater 3000 who sit through a bad movie just so we can make fun of it.

Comment

So much for your abilities with comprehension I mentioned that roads and such will slow me down a great deal.

So much for your ideas about context.
                      Give it your best shot - post the verse(s) where the law is undeniably (or closest thereto) identified as the way.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        He can't help but watch, like watching a train wreck.
                        No foolin' -- one night, I woke up about 3 AM, and went out into the living room to watch some TV.
                        A TV "evangelist" was on (don't remember his name, he used to sit in a recliner smoking a cigar while "preaching") and he had just said "Peter was a jerk".
                        I turned the channel to find something else, but was really curious about his statement, so I switched back to see what he said.

Again, no foolin', he looked right into the camera, and said "some of you switched to another channel, but couldn't help yourselves, and you came back".

I turned off the TV and went back to bed.

Comment

No foolin' -- one night, I woke up about 3 AM, and went out into the living room to watch some TV.
                          A TV "evangelist" was on (don't remember his name, he used to sit in a recliner smoking a cigar while "preaching") and he had just said "Peter was a jerk".
                          I turned the channel to find something else, but was really curious about his statement, so I switched back to see what he said.

Again, no foolin', he looked right into the camera, and said "some of you switched to another channel, but couldn't help yourselves, and you came back".

Human responses are very often highly predictable.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

gene scott 2.jpggene scott.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

No they don't. For instance, John the Baptist preparing the way for the Lord has nothing to do with the Law of Moses but, rather, refers to John preparing people's hearts and minds for the arrival of the Messiah, which you would know if you paid attention to the context.

Jesus saying that "the way that leads to life is narrow" has nothing to do with the law but is a metaphor pointing to the fact that there is only one path to salvation, which is through Jesus, a point reiterated elsewhere when he said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life," which, again, is not a reference to the Law of Moses. Again, you would know this if you paid attention to the context.

I see you noted Matthew 5 where Jesus said he came to fulfill the Law, which he did through his death and resurrection, and so we are no longer under the Old Covenant and the Law.

Scripture Verse: Luke 22

And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."

Indeed, the prophet Jeremiah said that a New Covenant was coming:

Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 31

Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt..."

Jesus is the literal fulfillment of that promise.

You see, when we refer to Biblical context, we're not just talking about the immediately surrounding text but the entirety of scripture itself.

Comment

No they don't. For instance, John the Baptist preparing the way for the Lord has nothing to do with the Law of Moses but, rather, refers to John preparing people's hearts and minds for the arrival of the Messiah, which you would know if you paid attention to the context.

Jesus saying that "the way that leads to life is narrow" has nothing to do with the law but is a metaphor pointing to the fact that there is only one path to salvation, which is through Jesus, a point reiterated elsewhere when he said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life," which, again, is not a reference to the Law of Moses. Again, you would know this if you paid attention to the context.

I see you noted Matthew 5 where Jesus said he came to fulfill the Law, which he did through his death and resurrection, and so we are no longer under the Old Covenant and the Law.

Scripture Verse: Luke 22

And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."

Indeed, the prophet Jeremiah said that a New Covenant was coming:

Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 31

Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt..."

Jesus is the literal fulfillment of that promise.

You see, when we refer to Biblical context, we're not just talking about the immediately surrounding text but the entirety of scripture itself.
                                Well said! You might know a thing or two about the Bible!

Comment