Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Christianity lose its way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Way (pun intended) to miss the entire point of the New Testament and Christianity.
    I haven't even got as far as Jesus yet, and Christianity is hours of work away.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      FWIW, a quick-and-dirty search for "the Way" (capitalized like that). Of course, decisions about what should be Capitalized in English are quite subjective.

The relevant citations seem to be Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 24:14, 22; and possibly Amos 8:14.
      All from Paul.....none from Jesus?
      I haven't even reached Jesus yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Given your mastery of eisegesis, I'm not sure that you are the one who should be doing this.
        Read the OP and you can tell us all what the term 'way' meant in the context of those verses..... if you think you have a better ability with eisegesis.

Comment

PRESENTATION PART THREE.............

The words and actions of Jesus will take a long time for me to review, but the Gospel of Matthew shows a connection with the ways and laws as mentioned by Isaiah and repeated by the Baptist, and supported here by Jesus:-
          Matthew Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,]

So these verses form a bridge to carry the meaning of 'the way' from Genesis to the Gospels.
          I hope I can present part three soon....... the words of Jesus.

Comment

PRESENTATION PART FOUR.....

A review of 'G-Matthew' seems to show mentions of 'the way' or the Baptist who brought 'the way' from the prophets. Here they are as spoken by the priesthood, Jesus and the Baptist, all....

Matthew {7:14} Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. {7:15} Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing,

Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,] repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew 22:16} And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any [man:] for thou regardest not the person of men. {22:17} Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

The priests acknowledged that Jesus spoke of 'the way' before offering their question about the law.

I will review G-Mark next.

Comment

PRESENTATION PART FIVE.........

From Gospels Mark and Luke:-

Mark {1:3} The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. {1:4} John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark {12:14} And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?

Luke {1:79} To give light to them that sit in darkness and [in] the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Luke {3:4} As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Luke {12:58} When thou goest with thine adversary to the magistrate, [as thou art] in the way, give diligence that thou mayest be delivered from him; lest he hale thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison.

Luke {20:21} And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person [of any,] but teachest the way of God truly: {20:22} Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no?

Both Gospels connect the mentions of 'the way' and 'law', and written by Isaiah and carried in to the New Testament by the Baptist, that fact reported in each gospel.

Next, I want to review any mentions of 'Law' in the synoptic gospels............ I think that will have to be later today or tomorrow. But as can already be seen the meaning of the way has been carried forward in to the gospels ....absolutely.

Comment

So basically, this "presentation" is just you taking dozens of verses out of context and attempting to draw a tenuous parallel between them.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  So basically, this "presentation" is just you taking dozens of verses out of context and attempting to draw a tenuous parallel between them.
                  That's SOP for an HJ researcher.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

While demonstrating a profound ignorance of what Christianity is all about.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Out of context? They all are using the words way, law, and others in exactly the same way.
                      Just read the verses from the Old Testament, and then you can read the Baptist's and Isaiah's side by side.....no 'out of context' there.

However, I interested to read how you perceive these verses, if you think that way and laws mean something different.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
                        Out of context? They all are using the words way, law, and others in exactly the same way.
                        Just read the verses from the Old Testament, and then you can read the Baptist's and Isaiah's side by side.....no 'out of context' there.
                        It sounds like you don't really grasp the concept of "context".

However, I interested to read how you perceive these verses, if you think that way and laws mean something different.
                        Depends on the context in which they were used.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

While demonstrating a profound ignorance of what Christianity is all about.
                          But you are going to be able to correct me, yes?
                          So far I haven't even reached 'Christianity'.

Comment

But you are going to be able to correct me, yes?
                            It appears to be a total waste of time.

So far I haven't even reached 'Christianity'.
                            So LAND this plane, already!

Comment

Zeroing in on isolated words and phrases while ignoring the entirety of the surrounding text is the very definition of taking something out of context.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It sounds like you don't really grasp the concept of "context".
                                Depends on the context in which they were used.
                                I told that this presentation is lengthy, so let's see how this pans out.

But since you mention context, let's see how you receive these verses...... you can tell me if you don't think they are all about the same subject, or not.
                                This is what is called continuity.
                                Maybe the OP included too much...... try a bite-sized chunk.

ISAIAH {40:3} The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. {40:4} Every valley shall be nexalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

Matthew {3:3} For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mark {1:3} The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. {1:4} John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke {3:4} As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

John {1:23} He said, I [am] the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

Matthew {11:12} And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. {11:13} For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. {11:14} And if ye will receive [it,] this is Elias, which was for to come. {11:15} He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
                                shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Comment