Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you


This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does Islam preach forcible conversion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post



    I must be clairvoyant then!


    Volume II: ad 500–ad 1420 [ Eds. David Eltis and Stanley L. Engerman]
    Must be a new definition of 'clairvoyant' that you're using.

    Do continue this rabbit trail. I'm sure it's much more convenient than correcting your earlier glaring errors on the main topic.

    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tabibito View Post

      It is just a glaring example of your usual standard of research.
      Yet the fact remains that in November 2020 I gave the correct title for Vol 2 and the names of the two main Editors.

      So as according to you:

      but volume 2 didn't exist until 2021


      I must have preternatural skills!
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

      Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

      Comment


      • Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Must be a new definition of 'clairvoyant' that you're using.

        Do continue this rabbit trail. I'm sure it's much more convenient than correcting your earlier glaring errors on the main topic.
        Which include but are hardly limited to...

        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

        ​​​​​​​[...]

        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Islam does not preach forcible conversion.
        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        We do not know what Muhammed said. The Qur'an was written down centuries later.
        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Around 800 CE biographies of Muhammed came to written and these were carefully preserved. Before that? We have nothing.
        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        The Qur'an is silent on Gabriel's revelations or any supernatural voice. The figure does appear in some verses but there is no mention of that figure being the messenger of supernatural revelations.
        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Nor were the hadiths ever intended to be considered in such a manner.
        Or maybe more attempts to show that Jesus also commanded conversion by the sword that have been a regular laugh riot so far.

        At the very least please find another source who will do something like your last one and insist that the notion that Islam was spread at the point of the sword was nothing but some myth that the Crusaders came up with.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

          Yet the fact remains that in November 2020 I gave the correct title for Vol 2 and the names of the two main Editors.

          So as according to you:

          but volume 2 didn't exist until 2021


          I must have preternatural skills!
          All you gave was the correct title and the names of the two main editors. Surely an historian such as yourself would know that such information is often available in advance of publication. The exact contents of such a work, not so much.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

            Yet the fact remains that in November 2020 I gave the correct title for Vol 2 and the names of the two main Editors.

            So as according to you:

            but volume 2 didn't exist until 2021


            I must have preternatural skills!
            Yet again you are expecting your narrative to be believed and concrete evidence to the contrary ignored.
            1Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω
            Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            .
            If Palm Sunday really was a Sunday, Christ was crucified on a Thursday (which could be adduced from the gospels anyway).

            "The synoptic gospels claim that Jesus was crucified on the 15th day of Nisan and buried on the 14th day of Nisan:" Majority Consensus

            Comment


            • Originally posted by tabibito View Post

              Yet again you are expecting your narrative to be believed and concrete evidence to the contrary ignored.
              The fact remains that I wrote a post [Tweb date and time 11-16-2020, 04:08 PM - i.e. November 16 2020] that cites all four titles in the Cambridge World History of Slavery series and that post gives the second volume's title correctly including the names of the two main editors. The period it is covering AD 500 -AD 1420 gives a reasonable indication as to the contents of that volume.

              According to you:

              volume 2 didn't exist until 2021


              Hence my jocular remark about my having preternatural skills!

              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

              Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

              Comment


              • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Which include but are hardly limited to...

                Good heavens you really desperate aren't you?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

                Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                  Good heavens you really are desperate aren't you?
                  Corrected
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

                  Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                    Good heavens you really desperate aren't you?
                    Run away, brave Sir Robin!
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                      Good heavens you really desperate aren't you?
                      Not sure how my reminding you of some of the highlights of your performance here on this thread can be construed as desperate...

                      Maybe you could point it out since you continue to cravenly run away from addressing your hilarious proclamations

                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Islam does not preach forcible conversion.
                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      We do not know what Muhammed said. The Qur'an was written down centuries later.
                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Around 800 CE biographies of Muhammed came to written and these were carefully preserved. Before that? We have nothing.
                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      The Qur'an is silent on Gabriel's revelations or any supernatural voice. The figure does appear in some verses but there is no mention of that figure being the messenger of supernatural revelations.
                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Nor were the hadiths ever intended to be considered in such a manner.
                      Or maybe more attempts to show that Jesus also commanded conversion by the sword that have been a regular laugh riot so far.

                      At the very least please find another source who will do something like your last one and insist that the notion that Islam was spread at the point of the sword was nothing but some myth that the Crusaders came up with.


                      So where exactly is this desperation you see O poltroon of Tweb?

                      All I see is a list of things made by an empty-headed poser pretending to have a clue.




                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Run away, brave Sir Robin!
                        I am tempted to write and ask if such devotion is evidence of a "bromance"?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

                        Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Not sure how my reminding you of some of the highlights of your performance here on this thread can be construed as desperate...

                          Maybe you could point it out since you continue to cravenly run away from addressing your hilarious proclamations







                          Or maybe more attempts to show that Jesus also commanded conversion by the sword that have been a regular laugh riot so far.

                          At the very least please find another source who will do something like your last one and insist that the notion that Islam was spread at the point of the sword was nothing but some myth that the Crusaders came up with.


                          So where exactly is this desperation you see O poltroon of Tweb?

                          All I see is a list of things made by an empty-headed poser pretending to have a clue.



                          And all I have read are uncontextualized comments from various individuals along with cherry picked verses from freely available online texts.

                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

                          Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                            And all I have read are uncontextualized comments from various individuals along with cherry picked verses from freely available online texts.
                            I'm going to press X to doubt and suggest you haven't actually read them.
                            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post

                              I'm going to press X to doubt and suggest you haven't actually read them.
                              Since attempting to ignore her gaffes hasn't worked, she's switching to hand-waving. It should be trivially easy to expose uncontextualized comments (by providing context) and cherry-picked verses (by showing contrary ones), especially given that they are from "easily available online texts."
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Since attempting to ignore her gaffes hasn't worked, she's switching to hand-waving. It should be trivially easy to expose uncontextualized comments (by providing context) and cherry-picked verses (by showing contrary ones), especially given that they are from "easily available online texts."
                                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

                                But don't you see that because they aren't quoted from books in her personal library they are necessarily uncontextualized and cherry-picked?

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rogue06, 01-18-2023, 11:09 PM
                                200 responses
                                1,046 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by eider, 01-17-2023, 02:14 AM
                                168 responses
                                691 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post tabibito  
                                Started by eider, 01-13-2023, 04:39 AM
                                402 responses
                                1,613 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NorrinRadd  
                                Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, 01-07-2023, 01:32 PM
                                284 responses
                                1,400 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                                Started by Diogenes, 01-05-2023, 09:25 AM
                                57 responses
                                414 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Working...
                                X