Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does Islam preach forcible conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Where are the texts?

Without context your googled comments have no relevance.

You seem unable to grasp this simple fact.

I did at least provide my citations.
    Yes. I have most definitely touched a nerve.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Your citation from a popular article written by a muslim apologist site?
      You didn't read my other posts?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Your citation from a popular article written by a muslim apologist site?
        But hey, she has provided me with another example of taqqiya/idtirar (lying to non-Muslims) to include.

The piece by Hassam Munir, who's bio says that he

...is currently pursuing an MA in Mediterranean and Middle East History at the University of Toronto. He is the founder of iHistory, a public history project, and was recognized as an Emerging Historian at the 2017 Heritage Toronto Awards

where he writes

A key “fact” of this spread-by-the-sword narrative is the notion of forced conversions of non-Muslims to Islam. This is part of a constellation of questionable “facts” that have been repurposed many times in history.

which tees up the following beaut

The Positions of Historians

The notion of Islam being “spread by the sword” can be traced to the Crusades and remained a cornerstone of European Christians’ anti-Islam polemics for centuries.

Yup. Just something that the Crusaders came up with.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Yes. I have most definitely touched a nerve.
          Have you heard of Patricia Crone, Marshall Hodgson, or Frederick Donner? I know you've heard of Keith Bradley with regard to The Cambridge World History of Slavery because some time ago on another thread you stated [my emphasis]

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Keith "K. R." Bradley, who has both written and edited numerous works on slavery in the ancient world (including all 3 volumes of The Cambridge World History of Slavery)

And I had to point out to you that it actually runs to four volumes!

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Have you heard of Patricia Crone, Marshall Hodgson, or Frederick Donner? I know you've heard of Keith Bradley with regard to The Cambridge World History of Slavery because some time ago on another thread you stated [my emphasis]

Boy that nerve I touched must've been a raw one.

Have you come up with any more humdingers to amuse everyone such as

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Islam does not preach forcible conversion.
            We do not know what Muhammed said. The Qur'an was written down centuries later.
            Around 800 CE biographies of Muhammed came to written and these were carefully preserved. Before that? We have nothing.
            The Qur'an is silent on Gabriel's revelations or any supernatural voice. The figure does appear in some verses but there is no mention of that figure being the messenger of supernatural revelations.
            Nor were the hadiths ever intended to be considered in such a manner.
            Or maybe more attempts to show that Jesus also commanded conversion by the sword that have been a regular laugh riot so far.

At the very least please find another source who will do something like your last one and insist that the notion that Islam was spread at the point of the sword was nothing but some myth that the Crusaders came up with.

Comment

• What happened to those trying to show that Mohammad never told Muslims that Islam was to be spread by the sword if they didn't willingly convert -- or at the very least if it was then Christianity is no different? There was more than H_A in the other thread promoting this.

Did reality finally penetrate their invincible ignorance, and unlike H_A who now is frantically trying to change the topic to anything else, did they just slink away?

Comment

The final volume hadn't been published yet when he typed that, O picker of nits. I expect you'll continue to determinedly pursue minor side issues rather than address your rather more prominent errors, however.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  The final volume hadn't been published yet when he typed that, O picker of nits. I expect you'll continue to determinedly pursue minor side issues rather than address your rather more prominent errors, however.
                  Goodness me!

You are eager to defend your pal!

However, the comment from rogue06 that I cited was made in this thread: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1206511
                  and posted at 11-15-2020, 07:00 AM

I replied in post 42 and that was posted at 11-16-2020, 04:08 PM. N.B. The times are as they appear on my computer

Volume I: The Ancient Mediterranean World [Eds. Keith Bradley and Paul Cartledge]
                  Volume II: ad 500–ad 1420 [ Eds. David Eltis and Stanley L. Engerman]
                  Volume III: ad 1420–ad 1804 [Eds. David Eltis and Stanley L. Engerman]
                  Volume IV: ad 1804–ad 2000 [Eds David Eltis and Stanley L. Engerman]

Bradley along with Cartledge, Eltis, and Engerman is one of the Series editors.

However, if you consider that that particular volume was not published in 2020 - perhaps you can explain this. My emphasis

https://www.cambridge.org/us/academi...me-4?format=HB

The Cambridge World History of Slavery

Volume 4. AD 1804–AD 2016

Part of The Cambridge World History of SlaveryView all contributors
                  • DATE PUBLISHED: April 2017
                  • AVAILABILITY: Available
                  • FORMAT: Hardback
                  • ISBN: 9780521840699

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Goodness me!

You are eager to defend your pal!

However, the comment from rogue06 that I cited was made in this thread: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1206511
                    and posted at 11-15-2020, 07:00 AM

I replied in post 42 and that was posted at 11-16-2020, 04:08 PM. N.B. The times are as they appear on my computer

Volume I: The Ancient Mediterranean World [Eds. Keith Bradley and Paul Cartledge]
                    Volume III: ad 1420–ad 1804 [Eds. David Eltis and Stanley L. Engerman]
                    Volume IV: ad 1804–ad 2000 [Eds David Eltis and Stanley L. Engerman]

Bradley along with Cartledge, Eltis, and Engerman is one of the Series editors.

However, if you consider that that particular volume was not published in 2020 - perhaps you can explain this. My emphasis

https://www.cambridge.org/us/academi...me-4?format=HB

The Cambridge World History of Slavery

Volume 4. AD 1804–AD 2016

Part of The Cambridge World History of SlaveryView all contributors
                    • DATE PUBLISHED: April 2017
                    • AVAILABILITY: Available
                    • FORMAT: Hardback
                    • ISBN: 9780521840699
                    Volume 2 was the last one published. 2021.

Cambridge History Slavery.jpg

Last edited by tabibito; 01-25-2023, 11:53 AM.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• I think H_A is correct in that volume 4 was written in 2017, however...

What I was referring to was Keith Bradley and what he was involved with and what he said, and not the CWHoS per se. He wasn't involved with volume 4 AFAICT.

Keith "K. R." Bradley, who has both written and edited numerous works on slavery in the ancient world (including all 3 volumes of The Cambridge World History of Slavery) wrote about connection between slavery and warfare made in the Digest (a.k.a., the Pandects) of Justinian noting that the definition of slavery provided by Florentius, the Roman praetorian prefect, was used by it, and which declared

Unfortunately, the way I wrote it can definitely be seen as saying what H_A mistook it for. That would be my fault for the lack of clarity

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I think H_A is correct in that volume 4 was written in 2017, however...

What I was referring to was Keith Bradley and what he was involved with and what he said, and not the CWHoS per se. He wasn't involved with volume 4 AFAICT.

Keith "K. R." Bradley, who has both written and edited numerous works on slavery in the ancient world (including all 3 volumes of The Cambridge World History of Slavery) wrote about connection between slavery and warfare made in the Digest (a.k.a., the Pandects) of Justinian noting that the definition of slavery provided by Florentius, the Roman praetorian prefect, was used by it, and which declared

Unfortunately, the way I wrote it can definitely be seen as saying what H_A mistook it for. That would be my fault for the lack of clarity
                        Volume 4 was released in 2017, but volume 2 didn't exist until 2021 - so, three volumes only in 2020.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Volume 2 was the last one published. 2021.

Cambridge History Slavery.jpg
                          I was waiting for her to wrongly jump at that.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Should we feel guilty? She makes it almost too easy.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Should we feel guilty? She makes it almost too easy.
                              I must be clairvoyant then!

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I must be clairvoyant then!

It is just a glaring example of your usual standard of research.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment