Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much of Christianity came from Jesus, and how much came from other sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am not the one offering asinine comments on Caesar's campaigns in Gaul and the forces he had at his disposal.
    That is disputed by several of your posts in this thread.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

No you are just making asinine comments in general (pun intended)
      drum-monkey.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        thank-you-thank-you-very-much-elvis-presley.gif

Comment

• Bad puns deserve recognition.

Comment

Because the governor-designate there suddenly died and he was assigned the governorship there as well as Cisalpine Gaul.
            It would appear that you have been Googling.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Are you saying that those legions never joined him?
            Quite possibly, but he certainly raised troops locally.

Why Caesar did this really doesn't matter.
            A statement that illustrates your profound ignorance of the contemporary situation and is somewhat at odds with your claim to have read Caesar's commentaries.

Unless of course The Gallic War is yet another of those numerous texts that you allege to have read but from which you cannot recall a single fact.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Your argument is with these folks among others

The undisputed fact remains that it is translated that way.
              That Roman power and influence was consolidated throughout Gaul is a somewhat different matter from your schoolboy contention that Caesar invaded and conquered all of Gaul. That notion remains arrant nonsense.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You used Google to check that, didn't you?
                A statement which rather vitiates your assertion that he couldn't have been invading because he only brought one legion with him.
                A statement that illustrates your profound ignorance of the contemporary situation and is somewhat at odds with your claim to have read Caesar's commentaries.
                Well, no. It's an observation that is is immaterial to the argument at hand.
                Unless of course The Gallic War is yet another of those numerous texts that you allege to have read but from which you cannot recall a single fact.
                Ooh, argument by insult. How very persuasive!
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That Roman power and influence was consolidated throughout Gaul is a somewhat different matter from your schoolboy contention that Caesar invaded and conquered all of Gaul. That notion remains arrant nonsense.
                  Show me where rogue06 asserted that "Caesar invaded and conquered all of Gaul."

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Projecting again?

Why do you automatically assume that something that you didn't know and had to look up (or else you wouldn't have asked the question and presented it as some major mystery in the first place) is something nobody else could have else known?

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Which wouldn't be necessary unless he was planning something -- like an invasion.

Unlike you I don't see what Caesar wrote as unvarnished fact -- some sort of eternal truth carved in stone.

It was propaganda. He wrote it to glorify himself and to rationalize his actions. Often he had to stretch the truth to do so -- as is common in propaganda.

Comment

Which wouldn't be necessary unless he was planning something -- like an invasion.
                      It also kind of makes the use extra legions unnecessary and overkill. Why bother with all the trouble involved with bringing troops when you can call on home-grown troops?
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Projecting again?

Why do you automatically assume that something that you didn't know and had to look up (or else you wouldn't have asked the question and presented it as some major mystery in the first place) is something nobody else could have else known?
                        Because you never give details until pressed.

Unlike you I don't see what Caesar wrote as unvarnished fact -- some sort of eternal truth carved in stone.
                        I noted some time ago that these commentaries had a political edge.

The text of The Gallic Wars as we now have it was not all written at one time. It comprises a series of dispatches regularly sent by Caesar back to Rome to be read [possibly in the senate] and certainly by his supporters to demonstrate and enhance his military prowess and political status. Bear in mind that military conquest and the booty that came with it was particularly important for Roman commanders and helped keep them [as it were] in the spotlight back in Rome.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Well, no. It's an observation that is is immaterial to the argument at hand.
                          For rogue06 to write this with regard to Caesar's campaigns in Gaul:

Why Caesar did this really doesn't matter.

Serves to illustrate his profound ignorance on the contemporary situation.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Ooh, argument by insult. How very persuasive!
                          He does seem to have a tendency to claim he has read texts and then make posts that indicate he has not read such texts. Either that or, what appear to be increasingly problematic issues with his memory, leave him unable to recall to mind a single word of what he has apparently read.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Show me where rogue06 asserted that "Caesar invaded and conquered all of Gaul."

Here is a selection of his comments taken from various threads where the topic was raised.

, like with Caesar's Gallic Campaign (where you claimed that Caesar never invaded Gaul but won't explain how he conquered it)

Your comments provided irrelevant background regarding Caesar's career and certainly didn't explain how Caesar managed to conquer Gaul without ever invading it [..] .and therefore that somehow means that Caesar didn't invade Gaul.

You are the one who kept saying he never conquered it leading me to ask if they just joined the Roman Empire on their own after receiving a threatening letter.

What we have is archaeological evidence of Rome conquering Gaul.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It also kind of makes the use extra legions unnecessary and overkill. Why bother with all the trouble involved with bringing troops when you can call on home-grown troops?

I have just noticed this. You do tend to make something of an ass of yourself when you offer your opinion on a topic of which you know nothing.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have just noticed this. You do tend to make something of an ass of yourself when you offer your opinion on a topic of which you know nothing.
                                I would know much less if I were to consider your pontification valid. The accuracy of what you post is inversely proportional to the insults in its content.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 02-26-2023, 12:14 PM.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment