Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much of Christianity came from Jesus, and how much came from other sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

If he was it was to do with Judaism. I doubt he'd read Plato in the original Greek or Virgil in the original Latin.
    He invented Greek and Latin.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

He invented Greek and Latin.
      He invented people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

He invented people.
        Nothing exists He did not invent!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nothing exists He did not invent!
          But I thought Al Gore invented the internet?

Comment

But I thought Al Gore invented the internet?
            Well, yeah, but the Bible was written first, and wasn't able to include that as an exception. Don't ya hate it when that happens?

Comment

Well, yeah, but the Bible was written first, and wasn't able to include that as an exception. Don't ya hate it when that happens?
              Well I guess since Jesus invented Al Gore he still gets the ultimate credit.

Comment

Well I guess since Jesus invented Al Gore he still gets the ultimate credit.
                Well, there ya go! And, I'm still figuring this one out, He even invented H_A!!!!

Comment

Well, there ya go! And, I'm still figuring this one out, He even invented H_A!!!!
                  Just goes to show that He has a sense of humor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    It would suck having to go down into the valley to a well to get water every day. Maybe that's why the village wasn't on top of the hill but down where the water is.
                    Marys well was not in the valley, it was much further up than that.

I have read that Marys well was in fact a spring, which is how it was located further up than in the valley. In the picture you can see what I mean.
                    P1020959.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Preliminary Check

Sepphoris was taken by Rome in 4BCE, after a rebellion under Judas the Galilean.
                      Wrong.
                      Sepphoris was taken by Judas Bar Ezekia in 4BC
                      The rebellion against taxation in 6AD was led by Judas the Galilean.

You cannot staple these two incidents together.

Comment

Yes there were many James' and Judas' and two of them were Jesus' brothers. And has been said previously, James most likely didn't become a disciple until after the resurrection.
                        If brother James joined the movement then, yes, it would have been after Jesus's death, imo.
                        But the disciple and the blood brother, I wonder which it was?

Not much is known about Jude. But the Church has always held that both were the actual brothers of Jesus.
                        Tradition...that's cool.

And also as people keep telling you, Jesus wasn't dismissing his family when he asked "Who are my brothers and sisters?" He was elevating his friends to the same level as his brothers and sisters.
                        And as I keep telling those people, the actions and words of Jesus in those verses clearly show the opposite of wehat they feel the need to claim.
                        He didn't seem to get any support from them when he had been in Nazareth, either.

Comment

You are doing it again. You are substituting what YOU THINK for any actual evidence to the contrary. Same as you admitted to regarding the bible. Confirmation bias. Evidence that supports WHAT YOU THINK, you will accept, but evidence that contradicts WHAT YOU THINK, you will reject. That is the opposite of having an open mind or doing actual research.

Wake up eider.
                          Question:-
                          Imagine that you and your family lived on Nazareth in 2BC, and you heard that a Roman Army was coming to within a few miles of your home for a military action to quell a rebelluion.
                          Can you imagine how Roman soldiers treated Jewish peasants? Would you like your loved ones and daughters around...nearby?

Stay or go? This is an easy question.

Comment

By the way, just a note....

I do not believe that Green Jell-o Salad came from Jesus, or anything He said, did, believed or implied.

Just wanted to make that clear.
                            No?
                            OK..... I'll just have to remove that from the salad-bar.

Hang on....... how about a sauce for that?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              In other words, it didn't meet your preconceived notions, so you ignored it. When challenged, you went looking for information which allegedly supported your preconceived notions. If this is how you did your HJ research....
                              Ha ha.......... I didn't need to produce info for me.....just for you.
                              I loved that tower, down in the bowl of land....... a joy to see.

Comment

Given that Jesus was God the Son, he could probably speak any language he wanted. Just like the apostles did by the power of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2.
                                I've seen people doing that, in tongues, in a church in East London. And could they ever sing..... wow!

Comment