Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much of Christianity came from Jesus, and how much came from other sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

What junk you've dug up there. biblearchaeology??
    There were no building remains found on Nazareth from the early 1st century except one possibility.
    Remains of lamps from that time were found, I believe.

It was much easier for itinerant peasants to live in tents.
    Antipas's interest in rebuilding Zippori/Sephoris was probably the reason for the hilltop communities around it.

Goatskin tents, and no remains would be found after two millenia, but Nazareth, like the Canas and two other hilltops was a community.......
    You are truly impervious to facts, aren't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the dates when these things were discovered. Your research from decades ago is sadly outdated.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Oh ho ho! So you do not attach too much significance to what he said?
      This looks like a visit to the salad bar!
      I attach a lot of significance to what Jesus said. You attach altogether too much significance to what he said. Perhaps I should word it more explicitly - You ascribe an imagined significance to Jesus' words that Jesus did not intend.

Go tell all to the Jews, who have suffered thousands of years of Anti-Semitism, and G-John only added to all that.
      The sinking of the Titanic, according to newspaper headlines of the time, was terrific. That's a pretty nasty comment if it is read today without taking into account that "terrific" no longer means what it did at the beginning of the twentieth century.
      Flawed interpretations of John's writing didn't take into account the meaning that existed at the time of writing.

No....not a one man picket........ Jesus and his followers. Scores of them would be needed to carry out what was described.
      Do you intend to publish your redacted version of the gospel?

Don't start pretending that I was referring to Samaritans. You mention '#Israelites', exactly who are you referring to?
      Jesus and his followers went to the Temple to trash the bazaar and halt all progress through the Temple......a huge picket line.
      Jesus was brought up in Nazareth - in the first century, it was in Judaea and was (ethnically) Israelite territory, not Jewish - not even Judah's territory.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Mark 6:3

Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?”

Comment

Yes...... tents.
          You've read about two house remains from the 1st century, you claim, yet we are interested in only the first thirty years.

Anything to fit your agenda, methinks.

The working people of the Northern Provinces who travelled to where work was...lived in tents.
          The hilltop communities around Zippori would have lived in tents.

Sorry about that, what I meant to say is...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Of course they lived in tents: tents with stone sides, foundations, and doors and windows (unglazed).
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              You are truly impervious to facts, aren't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the dates when these things were discovered. Your research from decades ago is sadly outdated.
              Oh really? Are you telling me that more buildings from 0-30AD have been found? A house where Jesus lived, maybe?
              Who discovered this lot? And where?

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                You ascribe an imagined significance to Jesus' words that Jesus did not intend.
                How absolutely amazing! You are now reducing some of his words, and nio doubt weould wish to raise up others.
                Methinks you attach what suits you...possibly?
                Salad Bar!

The sinking of the Titanic, according to newspaper headlines of the time, was terrific. That's a pretty nasty comment if it is read today without taking into account that "terrific" no longer means what it did at the beginning of the twentieth century.
                Flawed interpretations of John's writing didn't take into account the meaning that existed at the time of writing.
                What a wonderful analogy!
                The fact that the author/s of G-John got the timeline, calendar, key facts and more completely wrong, and that they pretended that Jesus's Mother and a disciple were near the cross, these total imposts cannot be answered by such excuses as yours.

Do you intend to publish your redacted version of the gospel?
                I did that years ago, but more recently wrote a story about what might have happened. The foreword and first paragraph described how the document was found, and translated, fiction for fun...... but then I settled in to how I think it all might have happened.

Jesus was brought up in Nazareth - in the first century, it was in Judaea and was (ethnically) Israelite territory, not Jewish - not even Judah's territory.
                It was in Galilee, and Israel was long gone.
                I expect that Jesus lived in Nazareth in childhood, but have never found any proof. Have you got sources which describe the upbringing of Jesus...in Galilee?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Mark {6:3} Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
                  In Nazareth, early on. Jesus couldn't achieve much there and left, went off to other communities.. Later on he seemed to turn towards his true followers.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Sorry about that, what I meant to say is...
                    Back to school......... a few links just to get you started.

Tent - Bible History

https://bible-history.com › tabernacle › tent
                    A tent was generally erected with sets of 3 poles, the longest poles were set up in a line down the center with the two shorter sets of poles on either side., ...
                    How People Made a Living in the Time of Jesus | Resources

https://bibleresources.americanbible.org › resource › ho...
                    At first, these herders (shepherds) were wandering nomads who lived in tents and had very little personal property. They moved from place to place, always ...
                    WHAT WERE HOUSES LIKE IN ANCIENT ISRAEL?

https://womeninthebible.net › Home › Bible Archaeology
                    Tents were made from goats' hair or dark sheep's wool, woven in rectangular strips on large looms. Women wove the fabric for the tents, stitched them together, ...

Comment

What a wonderful analogy!
                      The fact that the author/s of G-John got the timeline, calendar, key facts and more completely wrong, and that they pretended that Jesus's Mother and a disciple were near the cross, these total imposts cannot be answered by such excuses as yours.
                      An interesting hypothesis - but you haven't given examples.

It was in Galilee, and Israel was long gone.
                      I expect that Jesus lived in Nazareth in childhood, but have never found any proof. Have you got sources which describe the upbringing of Jesus...in Galilee?
                      Luke 4:16 states that Jesus had been brought up in Nazareth. It was a permanent settlement, with an estimated population of more than 400 people, not a temporary sojourn point for wandering herders and such. What kinds of proof would you expect to find?
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• How absolutely amazing! You are now reducing some of his words, and no doubt would wish to raise up others.
                        Methinks you attach what suits you...possibly?
                        Salad Bar!
                        Jesus stated that the familial relationship was not significant, and maybe that family members have no more claim than loyal followers or friends. You seem to be claiming that Jesus was saying something more than that.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

In Nazareth, early on. Jesus couldn't achieve much there and left, went off to other communities.. Later on he seemed to turn towards his true followers.
                          Way to miss the point that the people in Nazareth pointed out that Jesus' actual brothers were James and Judas (Jude).

Comment

Oh really? Are you telling me that more buildings from 0-30AD have been found? A house where Jesus lived, maybe?
                            The link which I provided (and you summarily dismissed) has that information, including supporting citations. Feel free to read it. I'm not going to spoon-feed you.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Back to school......... a few links just to get you started.

Tent - Bible History

https://bible-history.com › tabernacle › tent
                              A tent was generally erected with sets of 3 poles, the longest poles were set up in a line down the center with the two shorter sets of poles on either side., ...
                              How People Made a Living in the Time of Jesus | Resources

https://bibleresources.americanbible.org › resource › ho...
                              At first, these herders (shepherds) were wandering nomads who lived in tents and had very little personal property. They moved from place to place, always ...
                              WHAT WERE HOUSES LIKE IN ANCIENT ISRAEL?

https://womeninthebible.net › Home › Bible Archaeology
                              Tents were made from goats' hair or dark sheep's wool, woven in rectangular strips on large looms. Women wove the fabric for the tents, stitched them together, ...
                              The fact that tents were made (Paul was, by trade, a tent-maker[1]) hardly supports your bizarre contention that Nazareth was composed of tents, now does it?

Learn to fail better.

1. I suppose that since Paul was making tents in Corinth this meant that city was entirely made of tents

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Here are a few screen captures of some of the images from Stratum II (the period in question) taken from one dig site in 2020 of your tent city

Comment