Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much of Christianity came from Jesus, and how much came from other sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of Christianity came from Jesus, and how much came from other sources?

I don't think that Jesus the Galilean Nagar (handworker) knew any languages other than Eastern Aramaic, never knew names like Christ or Peter, and didn't have any interest in founding anything for Gentiles to follow. I think he stood for the working classes that struggled on, all around him, and against the greed and hypocrisy of the Priesthood.

So I reckon that a whole mass of 'outside' material was needed for the development of Christianity.

Originally posted by eider View Post

I don't think that Jesus the Galilean Nagar (handworker) knew any languages other than Eastern Aramaic, never knew names like Christ or Peter, and didn't have any interest in founding anything for Gentiles to follow. I think he stood for the working classes that struggled on, all around him, and against the greed and hypocrisy of the Priesthood.

So I reckon that a whole mass of 'outside' material was needed for the development of Christianity.
    Will you accept Matt 24:14 , Mark 13:10 as authentic or authoritative? Of course not. Nor any other evidence that might be advanced from scripture.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And what do you base these beliefs of yours on, Eider?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It has been pointed out before that Galilean Aramaic was a dialect of western Aramaic.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It has been pointed out before that Galilean Aramaic was a dialect of western Aramaic.
          I was more concerned with where he got his idea that Jesus "never knew names like Christ or Peter, and didn't have any interest in founding anything for Gentiles to follow. I think he stood for the working classes that struggled on, all around him, and against the greed and hypocrisy of the Priesthood."

Comment

He just "knows" and you can't educate or argue with that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Looks like selective reading for the win!
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Will you accept Matt 24:14 , Mark 13:10 as authentic or authoritative?
                Ummm.........

Of course not.

Nor any other evidence that might be advanced from scripture.
                Nearly all of my evidence about Jesus comes from scripture. That and some accepted history.

Comment

Scripture, mostly the gospel of Mark, and some accepted history. In comparison to many Christian beliefs and ways.

Comment

Which Galileans spoke, and clearly it was different as shown in the NT.

Comment

Which Galileans spoke, and clearly it was different as shown in the NT.
                      So your claim is that Jesus did not speak eastern Aramaic as an additional dialect or language, but spoke it instead of the the local dialect of his hometown? Is that really a viable proposition?
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Scripture, mostly the gospel of Mark, and some accepted history. In comparison to many Christian beliefs and ways.
                        So OBP was correct? Selective reading? Because if you are using scripture as your source then your objections don't make any sense.

never knew names like Christ or Peter, and didn't have any interest in founding anything for Gentiles to follow. I think he stood for the working classes that struggled on, all around him, and against the greed and hypocrisy of the Priesthood.
                        While yes, he did stand against the greed/hypocrisy of the Priesthood and cared about the working class (he actually cared about everyone, including the poor who could not work), the rest of your statement is patently false according to the same scripture you claim is your source. He did call himself the the Messiah, even if he never used the word "Christ" - He called God his Father, as in a special relationship, not as "god is everyone's father" - claimed to be the Son of Man, a direct reference to the messiah in Daniel 7. He also claimed to forgive sins, to give eternal life and to return one day after his resurrection. The same source you are claiming also says he knew Peter and the other apostles.

So selective reading then?

Comment

So OBP was correct? Selective reading? Because if you are using scripture as your source then your objections don't make any sense.

While yes, he did stand against the greed/hypocrisy of the Priesthood and cared about the working class (he actually cared about everyone, including the poor who could not work), the rest of your statement is patently false according to the same scripture you claim is your source. He did call himself the the Messiah, even if he never used the word "Christ" - He called God his Father, as in a special relationship, not as "god is everyone's father" - claimed to be the Son of Man, a direct reference to the messiah in Daniel 7. He also claimed to forgive sins, to give eternal life and to return one day after his resurrection. The same source you are claiming also says he knew Peter and the other apostles.

Just a smidge.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So your claim is that Jesus did not speak eastern Aramaic as an additional dialect or language, but spoke it instead of the the local dialect of his hometown? Is that really a viable proposition?
                            Mark . {14:70} And he denied it again. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art [one] of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech agreeth [thereto.

I seem to need to show you verses, from time to time.

Comment

Oh yes! Absolutely correct. Selective reading.......

Do you accept every verse written?

While yes, he did stand against the greed/hypocrisy of the Priesthood and cared about the working class (he actually cared about everyone, including the poor who could not work),
                              Yes
                              the rest of your statement is patently false according to the same scripture you claim is your source.
                              That's where we differ.
                              He did call himself the the Messiah, even if he never used the word "Christ" - He called God his Father, as in a special relationship, not as "god is everyone's father"
                              All Jews considered their God to be their father. Yes. 'Every Jew's Father.
                              - claimed to be the Son of Man, a direct reference to the messiah in Daniel 7.
                              Yes....... Son of Man, every Jew was a son of man, so are we we.
                              He also claimed to forgive sins, to give eternal life and to return one day after his resurrection.
                              You can forgive sins, so can your neighbour, and no jesus did not return.
                              The same source you are claiming also says he knew Peter and the other apostles.
                              What language the authors used was up to them, but Jesus named Simon 'Cephas'.

Yes... certainly. I've always heard and believed that it's the stuff you dump that produces best chances of truth (in what's left)

Do you selectively read the bible? Do you?

Comment