Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How much of Christianity came from Jesus, and how much came from other sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Of course they used the LXX, given its availability. Paul likewise always uses it.
    How would Jesus use the LXX unless he was a) Literate and b) knew Greek?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This is another example of your scoffing mockery where you pretend that some said something they clearly did not, that you hand wave off as being "jocular."
      Sparko is labouring under the misapprehension that the comment from Vermes somehow undermines my previous remarks. It does not. Sparko seem to think that the possibility that Jesus was a scholar and learned [i.e. in the Law and Judaism] can somehow be extrapolated to "prove" he was equally well educated on all matters pertaining to the wider Hellenistic world.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Sparko is labouring under the misapprehension that the comment from Vermes somehow undermines my previous remarks. It does not. Sparko seem to think that the possibility that Jesus was a scholar and learned [i.e. in the Law and Judaism] can somehow be extrapolated to "prove" he was equally well educated on all matters pertaining to the wider Hellenistic world.
        I am just amused at how much you will twist and turn to avoid admitting you are wrong about something. To the point of throwing your own source under the bus.

Comment

Oh come now. Are you seriously suggesting that a Galilean charismatic was familiar with Hellenism in all its forms? And if so, on what attested historical evidence?
          You sound just like my 6-year old. "You're going to put me in time out for 100 hours?"
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

An interesting claim. To the best of my knowledge, Sparko has only ever claimed that Jesus was proficient in Koine Greek.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

An interesting claim. To the best of my knowledge, Sparko has only ever claimed that Jesus was proficient in Koine Greek.
              She likes to invent claims nobody has made in an effort to claim she is right. Right now she is trying to expand our claims to claim that Jesus was some sort of professor of Hellenistic culture!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

How would Jesus use the LXX unless he was a) Literate and b) knew Greek?
                Where did I write that Jesus used the LXX? And you accuse me of inventing claims no one has made!
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

She likes to invent claims nobody has made in an effort to claim she is right. Right now she is trying to expand our claims to claim that Jesus was some sort of professor of Hellenistic culture!
                  So what precisely did you mean by these two previous posts? How and in what manner is Vermes refuting my earlier comments?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But she then posted a source claiming Jesus was a "scholar" and "learned" - and shot down her own arguments. I think we are done here.
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So now you are dismissing and mocking your own source because you realize it destroyed your own argument? Talk about providing amusement! That's hilarious!!!
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Nagar...or nagarra. I'm not sure about the double r spelling.

I'll quote the words of a very wise lady from Alaska which she wrote to me years ago.
                    If you don't like this piece then I'm sorry, but this rings so many bells for me:-
                    Since Jesus had so many extraordinary abilities, people would have thought of him as a nagar (Eastern Aramaic) a magi.

Just a side-note since you used the word Nagarra.

Did you know that the word is associated with "crafting" in the Sorcerer sense?

A related word is Nachash = Serpent, - Hiss an incantation, - a Sorcerer.

Kharash and tekton are also related to nagar.

Serpent is Naga in India, Nagash in Babylonian, and Nachash in the Bible. All of them are associated with Sorcery.

Both the Indian Naga Serpents and the Hebrew Nachash Serpents are associated with magic. In fact one word for magic in the Bible is nachash – To (snake) hiss/whisper an incantation.

And Jesus was called a Magi, or Sorcerer.

Origen said Jesus was never described as a carpenter in the Gospels.

Magi was used for magician - so yes. And we do know that extraordinary healers with their herbs and potions were often associated with magic.

Look at the Chinese symbols. The symbol for a Shaman matches the Cross potent.

Concerning the point: "Origen said Jesus was never described as a carpenter in the Gospels," this is demonstrably false.

Scripture Verse: Mark 6

And on the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands? Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: Matthew 13

And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?"

I don't know if this is a mistake of Origen, or a mistake of your "very wise lady from Alaska".
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Concerning the point: "Origen said Jesus was never described as a carpenter in the Gospels," this is demonstrably false.

Scripture Verse: Mark 6

And on the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands? Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

Scripture Verse: Matthew 13

And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?"

I don't know if this is a mistake of Origen, or a mistake of your "very wise lady from Alaska".
                      Origen. Contra Celsus chapter 36: final sentence
                      in none of the Gospels current in the Churches is Jesus Himself ever described as being a carpenter.

Origen was probably wrong. It is also possible that none of the copies he had made that claim - checking for variants of the original manuscripts might take a while.

I was wrong - it took no time at all. John Oakes considers that Origen got carried away a bit. I tend to agree.

https://evidenceforchristianity.org/...s-explanation/
                      I will have to agree with the scholars who fault Origen on this one. He was a philospher/theologian, defending rational Christianity against pagan criticism–especially from the Greek critic Celsus. It seems pretty clear that Origen was making a pretty weak argument, based on one textual variant. He seems to be doing this more to win an argument with an opponent than as a fair response to the textual evidence. One thing we can be fairly sure of is that Origen was an extremely good scholar, so he was surely aware that there was a textual variant, even in the third century, in the Mark passage. That he was using this variant to defeat Celsus is “on” Origen, in my opinion.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 01-31-2023, 12:13 PM.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Origen. Contra Celsus chapter 36: final sentence
                        in none of the Gospels current in the Churches is Jesus Himself ever described as being a carpenter.

Origen was probably wrong. It is also possible that none of the copies he had made that claim - checking for variants of the original manuscripts might take a while.
                        Well, Jesus was not "describing Himself" as a carpenter. But others were obviously under the assumption He was, indeed, a carpenter, or, at the very least, the son of one.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And here again, you scoff and mock at what is effectively a straw man argument of your own design.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Where did I write that Jesus used the LXX? And you accuse me of inventing claims no one has made!
                            I said that Jesus quoted the LXX in Matthew 90% of the time. Then you said:

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Of course they used the LXX, given its availability. Paul likewise always uses it.
                            That sounds to me like you admitted that Jesus used the LXX.

Perhaps you should be clearer in your statements if that is not what you meant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, Jesus was not "describing Himself" as a carpenter. But others were obviously under the assumption He was, indeed, a carpenter, or, at the very least, the son of one.
                              It is very unlikely that he didn't received training as a carpenter and helped Joseph when he was younger. Such things were expected. Whether or not he ever pursued that vocation is lost to us.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                It is very unlikely that he didn't received training as a carpenter and helped Joseph when he was younger. Such things were expected. Whether or not he ever pursued that vocation is lost to us.
                                EGGzackly... While there's not a "thus sayeth the Lord" that Jesus was a carpenter, it's entirely logical that He was, at least as a boy.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment