Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by Esther View Post

eider a Christian is someone who has the Holy Spirit living on the inside them. They may be baby Christians and mature over time or they may stay in a state of infancy their whole Christian lives. Babies make messes as do baby Christians.
    Hello, thank you for your reply. Please tell me, do you believe in Spirits?

The woman you mentioned at least knows that Spiritualists are not Christians
    Do you believe in Spirits?

and are a group of people who try to contact the dead and that demons are in fact the ones mimicking the dead (knowing all about them and their lives on this earth) and therefore because they are not of God they are of Satan.
    Do you believe in Demons?

(There are only two options for all people). So whilst this woman may be a tad crazy sounding and over zealous, etc I think she is a Christian and willing to in her own way stand up for what she believes.
    But she was loud, rude, inhospitable, confrontational and judgemental. Undiplomatic.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Precisely

In response to your latter question , no I do not watch Bond films.
    Exciting.....

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yes, I'm a Christian.
    You wrote all that, in the link?
    Ah.....

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Not Halloween. I do not know. What country did this take place?
    Brazil? Rio?

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Are you implying that "sainthood" does not apply to all believers here and now?

If so, I take it that you are filtering all references through particular translations of Rom. 1:7 and 1 Cor. 1:2.

That would seem to mean that, e.g., Acts 9:13, 32, 41; Rom. 8:27; 12:13; and many others, as well as places using the verb form in an "already accomplished" tense such as 1 Cor. 1:2 and 6:11, are only referring to an elite subset of believers. That idea generally does not seem to fit the contexts.
    A need exists for language that differentiates between spiritually mature Christians and those who are not. "Saints" traditionally were considered mature Christians, people who had purified themselves spiritual as opposed to carnal (immature). I argue that carnal Christians, Christians who are (only) human, are holy but they are not saints. I can't trace the idea that all Christians are saints any further back than the 1960s, but today, still, when a person is described as a saint even in the secular world, that person is considered morally unimpeachable, above reproach. At the least, a saint is one who heeds the call to stop sinning (1Cor 15:34). There is a tension between having been cleansed and the need to purify oneself (1John 3: 3-6).

1Cor 1:2 - The ones having been made holy (ηγιασμενοις). Perfect participle, thus an enduring (but not necessarily permanent) condition. "Saints by calling" now - a person who has a calling may or may not hold the position referred to. Still, I lean to the concept that the people to whom Paul addresses the letter are saints.
    1Cor 6:11 - you were ~. Aorist tenses all, indicating an action that was completed in the past, but not indicating whether the condition endures. Do saints engage in the activities described in 1Corinthians 9,10? If so, the term "saint" is meaningless.
    Acts 9:13 - ? Saints in Jerusalem were persecuted by Saul.
    Acts 9:32 - ? Saints were at Lydda
    Acts 9:41 - Saints here seem to be a subset - however, that is not necessarily so according to Koine Greek grammar. The "and" of "and the widows" probably particularises widows as a subset of these saints, in the same way that Peter and the twelve particularises Peter as one among the twelve.
    Romans 8:27 - The Holy Spirit intercedes for the (ones upon whom holiness has been conferred).
    Romans 12:13 - take care of holy people.

Romans 8:9-13
    9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
    10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
    11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
    12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh– [Guzik, TSK]
    13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

First draw the answers from the text in front of you - not from what you already know. After that, evaluate what you already know from the answers, and then evaluate the text's answers by reference to other scriptures.
    v13: What is the outcome of living according to the flesh? Who puts to death the deeds of the flesh? What is necessary to make that possible? What is the outcome of doing so?
    Last edited by tabibito; 01-14-2023, 09:48 PM.

Leave a comment: