Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Why don't you read about the history of this hill top?

Are you trying to pretend that 2000 years ago you would have set up home for your family in a low place rather than a high place? This is an IQ test question.
    The IQ test is whether or not you are capable of accepting all of the evidence that beats your baseless fantasy into a fine pink mist.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    As you've been informed, Nazareth is not perched atop a hill as you continue to fantasize. Instead it's located within a small basin that's surrounded by hills.

What do we know about Nazareth in Jesus’ time? An archaeologist explains
    There are geographical, environmental explanations for Nazareth being so small, she said. Nazareth was set in a small basin surrounded by hills and wasn’t very accessible. It did have a water supply from what is called today Mary’s Well, and there is evidence of some limited terraced agriculture, as well as pasture fields. But since the town wasn’t located on a roadway, “people didn’t go through Nazareth unless they specifically wanted to go there. And that was really the reason that it remained a small site until the 19th century.”

Nazareth: The Significance in Jesus’ Time
    Located in the lower part of Galilee, a district in the north of Israel, 56 km west of the sea of Galilee, set in a small basin, lies the ancient city of Nazareth.

Responding to the Skeptic’s Attack Against Nazareth
    He wrote: “The fact that habitations and other domestic evidence have never been uncovered on the hillside confirms the obvious. It is clear that the settlement in all ancient periods was situated on the valley floor” (p. 68).

[...]

From the few written sources that there are, we know that in the first century CE Nazareth was a small Jewish village, located inside a valley.

Holman Bible Dictionary
    Nazareth was located in lower Galilee about halfway between the Sea of Galilee and the Mediterranean Sea. It lay in the hill country north of the Plain of Esdraelon. The hills formed a natural basin with three sides, but open toward the south. The city was on the slopes of the basin, facing east and southeast.

McClintock and Strong Biblical Cyclopedia
    Dr. Porter (Hand-bookfor Syria and Palestine, 2:359) has described Nazareth as lying at the bottom of "the hill on the northside" of the little plain.

And they didn't find those building for which I've supplied the photographs for up on the top of the hill.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Here are a few screen captures of some of the images from Stratum II (the period in question) taken from one dig site in 2020 of your tent city

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What do you think that the residents of Nazareth did?
      Do you know how large Nazareth was? (The city of Sepphoris's main buildings area was 7 acres....which was magnificent, btw)
      How many would farm sheep?
      How many might have worked on the Sepphoris rebuilding circa 2-1BC?)
      I wasn't there, and neither were you.
      You have made wild assumptions on which you build your house of cards.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

https://www.cleveland.com/religion/2...areth_say.html
        The dwelling and older discoveries of nearby tombs in burial caves suggest that Nazareth was an out-of-the-way hamlet of around 50 houses on a patch of about four acres (1.6 hectares).
        A report from 2009 at which time evidence of only one small property was known.
        But at least your chosen report supports the size of these hilltop communities at about 4 acres.
        I mentioned to Cow Poke that Sepphoris was a city, the main building compising about 7 acres (and he responded that he thought I am weird........ )

That report you showed mentions how peasant communities did their best to hide from Roman Forces.......I'll bet that they did!

When researchers 'suggest' then their guess is just a guess, and since this community was recent (after an evacuation during the recent Roman presence) then the peasants would have brought tents with them.
        Here is an archeological report for all of Palestine through several eras by a very prominent historian (Meier) and if you will look at it you'll realise how little that is left after 2000 years. I can only hope that it opens.

Distribution maps (1).pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I wasn't there, and neither were you.
          You have made wild assumptions on which you build your house of cards.
          After 2000 years archeologists have to make best guesses, 'based upon the balance of probabilities'.

Read tabibito's post and attachment which suggests that Nazareth comprised 4 acres in size.
          The main buildings of Sepphoris comprised 7 acres of building on a hill top (Herod called the place 'bird's nest'....Ziporri.
          Romans crucified over a thousand male captives after taking back Sepphoris and enslaved all saleable women and children.
          Peasants fled from Roman troops. For security they preferred to be able to keep watch.

And more....... your 'picture' of what Galilee was like 2000 years ago must be very myopic.
          What do you think peasant children did? That should be a fascinating read from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The IQ test is whether or not you are capable of accepting all of the evidence that beats your baseless fantasy into a fine pink mist.

And they didn't find those building for which I've supplied the photographs for up on the top of the hill.

After 2000 years the only remains that could be dated were the lamps that were found.

And 'No'...... peasants would not have hid underground when the Romans came pillaging and looting.
            There were two legions and a cohort sent to take back Sepphoris and peasants from miles around would have legged it,.

Celcus wrote that some peasant folks did survive that time and situation but I don't think that you would want to read about that. Or would you?

Comment

But at least your chosen report supports the size of these hilltop communities at about 4 acres.
              I mentioned to Cow Poke that Sepphoris was a city, the main building compising about 7 acres (and he responded that he thought I am weird........ )

That report you showed mentions how peasant communities did their best to hide from Roman Forces.......I'll bet that they did!

When researchers 'suggest' then their guess is just a guess, and since this community was recent (after an evacuation during the recent Roman presence) then the peasants would have brought tents with them.
              Here is an archeological report for all of Palestine through several eras by a very prominent historian (Meier) and if you will look at it you'll realise how little that is left after 2000 years. I can only hope that it opens.

[ATTACH]n1456029[/ATTACH]
              The report says nothing about a hilltop community - it refers to Nazareth. The nearest hilltop community was at Sepphoris, a fortress city. You will note that while the report suggests more than 50 houses, I gave a downward revised "more than 20." Archaeologists offer an educated guess when they claim that evidence suggests, it is not a guess pulled out of thin air.
              Last edited by tabibito; 02-06-2023, 02:31 AM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/yo...057b2c0705e2f6

The dwelling and older discoveries of nearby tombs in burial caves suggest that Nazareth was an out-of-the-way hamlet of around 50 houses on a patch of about four acres

Alexandre said her team also found a camouflaged entry way into a grotto, which she believes was used by Jews at the time to hide from Roman soldiers who were battling Jewish rebels at the time for control of the area.

The grotto would have hid around six people for a few hours, she said.

However, Roman soldiers did not end up battling Nazareth's Jews because the hamlet had little strategic value at the time.

The Roman army was more interested in larger towns and strategic hilltop communities, she said.

Alexandre said similar camouflaged grottos were found in other ancient Jewish communities of the lower Galilee such as the nearby Biblical village

of Cana, which did witness battle between Jews and Romans.

So much for the marauding Roman armies being a threat to Nazareth; hilltop communities being of greater interest, as were larger towns generally.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

[ATTACH]n1456029[/ATTACH]
                  Researchers "suggest" because being scientists they understand that they cannot ever "prove" things no matter how much evidence for it. It's the nature of science itself.

But it's nice you finally understand that Nazareth was an out of the way location that you essentially had to look for to find. That is yet more evidence that it was not sitting high atop a hill, as you continue to hallucinate, where it could be easily seen from a distance.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/yo...057b2c0705e2f6

The dwelling and older discoveries of nearby tombs in burial caves suggest that Nazareth was an out-of-the-way hamlet of around 50 houses on a patch of about four acres

Alexandre said her team also found a camouflaged entry way into a grotto, which she believes was used by Jews at the time to hide from Roman soldiers who were battling Jewish rebels at the time for control of the area.

The grotto would have hid around six people for a few hours, she said.

However, Roman soldiers did not end up battling Nazareth's Jews because the hamlet had little strategic value at the time.

The Roman army was more interested in larger towns and strategic hilltop communities, she said.

Alexandre said similar camouflaged grottos were found in other ancient Jewish communities of the lower Galilee such as the nearby Biblical village

of Cana, which did witness battle between Jews and Romans.

So much for the marauding Roman armies being a threat to Nazareth; hilltop communities being of greater interest, as were larger towns generally.
                    You missed a key part which I highlighted.

Excavations also uncovered "hidey holes" below storage areas that were some times multi-layer. Useful boltholes for the times bandits or a hostile army comes across you.

Comment

You missed a key part which I highlighted.

Excavations also uncovered "hidey holes" below storage areas that were some times multi-layer. Useful boltholes for the times bandits or a hostile army comes across you.
                      I addressed that in the prior post:

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The report says nothing about a hilltop community - it refers to Nazareth. The nearest hilltop community was at Sepphoris, a fortress city. You will note that while the report suggests more than 50 houses, I gave a downward revised "more than 20." Archaeologists offer an educated guess when they claim that evidence suggests, it is not a guess pulled out of thin air.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

After 2000 years archeologists have to make best guesses, 'based upon the balance of probabilities'.
                        You seem to be making this rather personal, including silly personal attacks against others.
                        I really don't care about your obsession with this, or your attitude concerning it.

Unsubscribing.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Most........... there is evidence of a 1st century building at Nazareth. Most itinerant peasants were tent dwellers.
                          If you think that there were folks living at Nazareth or any of the other hilltops around Sepphoris during the Roman siege and razing of Sepphoris then I can't help you.

You didn't answer my question.
                          Please show me the evidence that Nazareth was full of buildings in the early first century AD.
                          Why bother? You will just ignore it like you did when Rogue06 showed you evidence. Your method of deciding what is true is this:

1. I believe X!
                          2. Does the evidence support X or contradict X?
                          3. If it supports it then that proves I was right!
                          4. If it doesn't support X then that proves the evidence is wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Why bother? You will just ignore it like you did when Rogue06 showed you evidence. Your method of deciding what is true is this:

1. I believe X!
                            2. Does the evidence support X or contradict X?
                            3. If it supports it then that proves I was right!
                            4. If it doesn't support X then that proves the evidence is wrong!
                            thats-not-how-this-works-gif-.gif

Comment

I unfriend you!

Comment

The report says nothing about a hilltop community - it refers to Nazareth. The nearest hilltop community was at Sepphoris, a fortress city.
                                Wrong. Cana 1 was the nearest community to Nazareth.
                                Wrong. Sepphoris was razed to rubble, nothing...by the Romans, until Antipas had rebuilt the place.

The only reason for so many working peasants to be placing their families on hilltop communities in the area was the massive amount of work that Antipas created with his rebuilding program.
                                Who needed to be on those hilltops otherwise? Shepherds is about all.

You will note that while the report suggests more than 50 houses, I gave a downward revised "more than 20." Archaeologists offer an educated guess when they claim that evidence suggests, it is not a guess pulled out of thin air.
                                I didn't bother with those numbers, I took notice of the guess at the place's size........ 4 acres, which seems appropriate,.

Comment