Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Paul and the Judaizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The town where a person was brought up is called his hometown. The town where a person has made his residence for a number of years becomes his hometown. The place where a person lives and whose mother is a local is the person's hometown.

On their return from Egypt, the family intended to return to Israel but on learning that Judah was in Archelaus' territory turned aside to Nazareth. Perhaps you would like to venture a guess as to why they initially made their way to Judah instead of going directly to Nazareth?
    You ought to write your own gospel.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You ought to write your own gospel.
      The gospels that have been accepted into the canon are good enough.

21 So Joseph got up, took the Child and His mother, and came into the land of Israel.
      22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Then after being warned by God in a dream, he left for the regions of Galilee,
      23 and came and lived in a city called Nazareth.

So - and again - the original destination was Judah, and was changed to the Galilee. Why was Judah the original intended destination?
      Last edited by tabibito; 01-17-2023, 09:51 AM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It's not like there aren't any historians who hold bizarre beliefs. Like those who claim that the Roman Empire is a medieval myth.
        Such as?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Or all those promoting ancient astronauts (or Atlanteans) as responsible for everything from the pyramids to Stonehenge to the Nazca Lines.
        What accredited historians have made such claims?.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And then there's the Marxist notion of Historical Materialism, which has been dismissed as nothing but an unfalsifiable pseudoscience.
        That is a theory for explaining human history, rather like the [now debunked] theory that arose in the eighteenth century and was developed through the nineteenth and into the mid 20th century of a pre-historic European wide worship of a single Mother Goddess.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The gospels that have been accepted into the canon are good enough.

21 So Joseph got up, took the Child and His mother, and came into the land of Israel.
          22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Then after being warned by God in a dream, he left for the regions of Galilee,
          23 and came and lived in a city called Nazareth.

So - and again - the original destination was Judah, and was changed to the Galilee. Why was Judah the original intended destination?
          Yes but you have so many "interesting insights" into all these events. Just think what additional narrative explanations you could add!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I think I will snooze this thread and check back in 5 or 10 pages to see if anything has changed.
            I am checking back. Nope, nothing has changed. Carry on!

Comment

Yes but you have so many "interesting insights" into all these events. Just think what additional narrative explanations you could add!
              Your tells are still showing.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I have never claimed to have any expertise in anthropology.
                Sure you have.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I wrote

my own knowledge of anthropology that includes burial practices and beliefs in magic, including within the ancient world.

Nowhere in that remark am I claiming to be an expert. You seem unfamiliar with the concept of books and also the fact that some people have a variety of different interests about which they read.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your tells are still showing.
                    I should have made it clear I was being sarcastic.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I should have made it clear I was being sarcastic.
                      I never thought otherwise.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I never thought otherwise.
                        Good. So your reference to "tells" may be deemed entirely irrelevant.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Such as?

What accredited historians have made such claims?.

That is a theory for explaining human history, rather like the [now debunked] theory that arose in the eighteenth century and was developed through the nineteenth and into the mid 20th century of a pre-historic European wide worship of a single Mother Goddess.
                          If you ever have had the misfortune to watch some of the shows on the History channel on these sort of topics you'll see folks like Charles Hapgood and others on promoting them. Usually, they're folks you never heard of but that doesn't make them any the less accredited historians.

The thing is, that it isn't all that difficult to find an outlier in virtually any field including science. Interestingly, some are otherwise well-respected except for their particular theory on a specific subject. The example I usually think of is paleornithologist Alan Feduccia, one of the last hold outs against the theory that birds descended from dinosaurs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            There are a couple of posts like that as well as the ones telling people they need to read/study anthropology (like she has).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There are a couple of posts like that as well as the ones telling people they need to read/study anthropology (like she has).
                              You should read more widely. I spent yesterday evening reading Anil K Seth's book Being You: A New Science of Consciousness. I still have to finish it but it is a fascinating read.

However, reading Seth and other writers on that topic will not make me an expert on Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience; although doing so will provide me with an informed opinion on those topics.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

If you ever have had the misfortune to watch some of the shows on the History channel on these sort of topics you'll see folks like Charles Hapgood and others on promoting them. Usually, they're folks you never heard of but that doesn't make them any the less accredited historians.

The thing is, that it isn't all that difficult to find an outlier in virtually any field including science. Interestingly, some are otherwise well-respected except for their particular theory on a specific subject. The example I usually think of is paleornithologist Alan Feduccia, one of the last hold outs against the theory that birds descended from dinosaurs.
                                I was fortunate in my youth to be introduced to the writing of Glyn Daniel [among others]l. He edited Antiquity for some thirty years and wrote some hilarious editorial pieces commenting on the pseudo-archaeology of the 1960s and 1970s. I was therefore inured at a relatively young age.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment