Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christological Sidebar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It appears that you are abandoning this notion that the concept of Jesus being God and not merely some "Galilean Jewish charismatic" is something Paul came up with decades later when we can see it clearly expressed in other books, including the Gospels of Matthew and John. That would be wise, so I figure you'll be along to renounce it shortly.

Basically, in the opening of Galatians, Paul took on any challenge to his authority as an Apostle, using his life experiences to declare that
    1. He was already an Apostle before he ever met any of the other Apostles
    B) When they did meet, he was regarded as an equal

III/ He had the authority to rebuke even Peter.

His message was of divine origin and he didn't make up the Gospel message that he was delivering. It wasn't something that he concocted, it wasn't something he got from other people, and neither was he watering down the Gospel to please people, but instead it came directly from Jesus Himself.

IOW, both Paul's conversion as well as his commission came from God and not from any man. He used his conversion from fanatical persecutor to preacher as evidence that God had been at work on him and he was authentic.

This is why he sounds like he was "dismissive" of the other Apostles. Because he was making it clear they were all on equal footing.

This is why, in the beginning of the second chapter of Galatians, Paul makes it clear that during his second trip to Jerusalem that he "set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles" and that the Apostles there agreed with the Gospel that Paul was preaching as noted in verse 9: "and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised." Still, as Galatians 1:11-12 makes clear, that while Paul had the approval from the primary eyewitnesses of Jesus’ life, he claimed that his ultimate authority did not come from them but directly from Jesus’ revelation to him.

As to interpolation. That's the word I meant. As you noted its just a synonym for an addition. It is popular among critics to simply declare a passage (or more) that shoots down a pet theory is just a later addition to the text in order to dismiss it.

In keeping with the sweeping and over-generalized declaration made without a whit of support that you made.

So why are you whining?
    Read Acts and Galatians dispassionately and critically. I realise this might present some problems for you, but do try.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      And here we have tabibito referring to logic.

I am not entirely where the logic is derived from this:

Followed by this:

Leads to justifying this claim: My emphasis:

All you have provided in all those posts is an excuse for not answering.

Cambridge Dictionary

answer
      noun [ C ]
      US /ˈæn.sɚ/ UK /ˈɑːn.sər/answer noun [C] (REACTION)

A1
      a reaction to a question, letter, phonecall, etc.:

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

the concept of Jesus being God and not merely some "Galilean Jewish charismatic" is something Paul came up with decades later when we can see it clearly expressed in other books, including the Gospels of Matthew and John.
        Paul died within three decades of Jesus' execution - technically "decades later" but his letters were presumably written before he died.

Basically, in the opening of Galatians, Paul took on any challenge to his authority as an Apostle, using his life experiences to declare that
        1. He was already an Apostle before he ever met any of the other Apostles

By my reckoning, Paul and Barnabas were appointed as apostles concurrently in Antioch (Acts 13:1), sometime after Paul's trips to Jerusalem - though your next comment might bring that into question.

[quote]B) When they did meet, he was regarded as an equal

III/ He had the authority to rebuke even Peter.

That he did, and Peter or James or Apollos to rebuke him - had the occasion arisen.

His message was of divine origin and he didn't make up the Gospel message that he was delivering. It wasn't something that he concocted, it wasn't something he got from other people, and neither was he watering down the Gospel to please people, but instead it came directly from Jesus Himself.

IOW, both Paul's conversion as well as his commission came from God and not from any man. He used his conversion from fanatical persecutor to preacher as evidence that God had been at work on him and he was authentic.

This is why, in the beginning of the second chapter of Galatians, Paul makes it clear that during his second trip to Jerusalem that he "set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles" and that the Apostles there agreed with the Gospel that Paul was preaching as noted in verse 9: "and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised." Still, as Galatians 1:11-12 makes clear, that while Paul had the approval from the primary eyewitnesses of Jesus’ life, he claimed that his ultimate authority did not come from them but directly from Jesus’ revelation to him.
        Assuredly

Last edited by tabibito; 01-08-2023, 04:32 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Cambridge Dictionary

answer
          noun [ C ]
          US /ˈæn.sɚ/ UK /ˈɑːn.sər/answer noun [C] (REACTION)

A1
          a reaction to a question, letter, phonecall, etc.:

Do not worry. I realise you were "put on the spot" and so declined to continue!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Do not worry. I realise you were "put on the spot" and so declined to continue!
            Personally I think you're irritated I won't play your game or that I won't stop my "charade" of being an agnostic or not an anti-theist. Given that you chose to be tedious about both "mystery" and "Incarnation", you've lost the bait.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Personally I think you're irritated I won't play your game or that I won't stop my "charade" of being an agnostic or not an anti-theist. Given that you chose to be tedious about both "mystery" and "Incarnation", you've lost the bait.
              You are free to think as you wish.

However, precision in language is important when discussing certain topics.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

However, precision in language is important when discussing certain topics.
                Hence why I used the terms that I did. I was being precise.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Read Acts and Galatians dispassionately and critically. I realise this might present some problems for you, but do try.
                  Oh the delicious unintended

Iron E.jpg
                  being told to not only "read Acts and Galatians dispassionately and critically," which is
                  already enough for a full meal, but coming from someone who has never read the Bible
                  in any manner save for snippets extracted by various critics.

You cannot refute what I posted so you do an H_A and simply try to hand wave it off with a curt dismissal, although in this case it back-fired hilariously.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Paul died within three decades of Jesus' execution - technically "decades later" but his letters were presumably written before he died.
                    [INDENT]

By my reckoning, Paul and Barnabas were appointed as apostles concurrently in Antioch (Acts 13:1), sometime after Paul's trips to Jerusalem - though your next comment might bring that into question.
                    It would have been more accurate to say Paul didn't come up with it a bit over a decade later given the dating of his letters.

I'm not sure how his becoming an Apostle before meeting the other Apostles could contradict that

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It would have been more accurate to say Paul didn't come up with it a bit over a decade later given the dating of his letters.

I'm not sure how his becoming an Apostle before meeting the other Apostles could contradict that
                      It wouldn't. Nor, insofar as I can tell, does his theology change or develop. The expression of that theology does evidence a certain refinement of terminology though, which is only to be expected.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It wouldn't. Nor, insofar as I can tell, does his theology change or develop. The expression of that theology does evidence a certain refinement of terminology though, which is only to be expected.
                        To me the fact that his theology is fully developed from the onset is strong support for his claims

Comment

Oh the delicious unintended

Iron E.jpg
                          being told to not only "read Acts and Galatians dispassionately and critically," which is
                          already enough for a full meal, but coming from someone who has never read the Bible
                          in any manner save for snippets extracted by various critics.

You cannot refute what I posted so you do an H_A and simply try to hand wave it off with a curt dismissal, although in this case it back-fired hilariously.
                          You forgot to mention that the snippets are usually (invariably?) mangled out of all recognition, or disconnected from their context.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You forgot to mention that the snippets are usually (invariably?) mangled out of all recognition, or disconnected from their context.
                            You'll have to forgive me. I was still laughing at someone telling me to read something "dispassionately and critically" that in all her decades of complaining about it, has never once bothered to read it herself "dispassionately and critically" or otherwise.

Comment