Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The Jesus story was not written down until 40 to 80+ years after the "wondrous events" by non eyewitnesses in a credulous age. There is no good reason to think that the accounts were not heavily embellished by believers with a view to converting others to the cause.

I see. Readings that disagree with your presuppositions are "jaundiced"?
    It has been demonstrated often enough that I will accede when reasoned argument and evidence are presented. It doesn't even have to be particularly well thought out, nor even polite: it just has to be strong enough to give me reason to investigate and re-evaluate . Even the late lamented Gary managed to convince me that I was wrong about the timing of the Exodus. By contrast - your claims are so lacking in support that I have to force myself to investigate (on the rare occasion that you actually provide anything that can be investigated, rather than just bare assertions and vague generalisations such as "scholars are agreed" or the like.)
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tassman View Post
      one would hope against all hope that in the age of modern science there would be less credulity than previously.

fify
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        It has been demonstrated often enough that I will accede when reasoned argument and evidence are presented. It doesn't even have to be particularly well thought out, nor even polite: it just has to be strong enough to give me reason to investigate and re-evaluate . Even the late lamented Gary managed to convince me that I was wrong about the timing of the Exodus. By contrast - your claims are so lacking in support that I have to force myself to investigate (on the rare occasion that you actually provide anything that can be investigated, rather than just bare assertions and vague generalisations such as "scholars are agreed" or the like.)
        "I can say with relative certainty — from his own letters and from Acts — that Paul was writing during the fifties of the Common Era . . . .

He gives in his own writings absolutely no evidence of knowing about or ever having heard of the existence of any Gospels. From this it can be inferred that the Gospels probably were written after Paul’s day.

It also appears that the Gospel writers know about certain later historical events, such as the destruction of Jerusalem in the year 70 ce . . . That implies that these Gospels were probably written after 70.

There are reasons for thinking Mark was written first, so maybe he wrote around the time of the war with Rome, 70 ce.

If Matthew and Luke both used Mark as a source, they must have been composed after Mark’s Gospel circulated for a time outside its own originating community — say, ten or fifteen years later, in 80 to 85 ce.

John seems to be the most theologically developed Gospel, and so it was probably written later still, nearer the end of the first century, around 90 to 95 ce.

These are rough guesses, but most scholars agree on them.

Here we have in a convenient nutshell the basic reasons behind the widely accepted dates for the Gospels. Bart Ehrman explains he is not going into details here, and one can find in the literature more nuanced arguments for relative and other dates assigned to the gospels. But with these dot points we can say we are looking at the trunk of the tree."

http://vridar.org/2009/05/07/how-the...dated-and-why/

Any questions?
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment