Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question About Numbers 15:32–36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Define "tiresome"
    A somewhat defensive reply which reads like the proverbial "cop-out" and from someone who will often disappear from a thread when they are pressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

A somewhat defensive reply which reads like the proverbial "cop-out" and from someone who will often disappear from a thread when they are pressed.
      Dangblast it! I was just about to accuse you with running off for waiting more than a minute to respond.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Dangblast it! I was just about to accuse you with running off for waiting more than a minute to respond.
        Your fanciful flights of imagination beggar belief.

Comment

Your fanciful flights of imagination beggar belief.
          You write arrogant and uninformed comments about things of which you know very little.

I'm not going to be drawn down your flowery garden path

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You write arrogant and uninformed comments about things of which you know very little.

I'm not going to be drawn down your flowery garden path
            Take each of those statements and provide supporting evidence for each of them and then compose it all into a coherent piece of prose

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              Greek was the language of the eastern empire not the "Roman empire".
              The self proclaimed historian claims that eastern and western Roman empires existed prior to 280CE? On what grounds?

Give me a valid reason [with some attested contemporary evidence] as to why a peasant fisherman in Galilee would be interested in learning the Greek language and Greek philosophical ideas.
              Why bother? There is no logical reason to assume that a person who mingled in Hellenistic societies would have eschewed learning and using the common tongue.

Again some attested historical contemporary evidence is required by you in order to dismiss as "nonsense" the accepted view that Paul is our earliest source of Christian writing.
              Already provided, only to have you claim it wasn't. Nothing else is expected, and repeating or adding to what has already been provided can only be expected to meet with further claims by you that nothing has been provided.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Take each of those statements and provide supporting evidence for each of them and then compose it all into a coherent piece of prose
                I have given my reasons in the past and feel no need to repeat them.

Since I gotta go for a bit my next reply will be

If someone makes an idiotic comment they must expect to be picked up on it. That is something you are not averse to doing to other people when you consider their remarks stupid, idiotic etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The self proclaimed historian claims that eastern and western Roman empires existed prior to 280CE? On what grounds?
                  She has been confusing her timelines quite a bit lately.

Comment

I have given my reasons in the past and feel no need to repeat them.

Since I gotta go for a bit my next reply will be

If someone makes an idiotic comment they must expect to be picked up on it. That is something you are not averse to doing to other people when you consider their remarks stupid, idiotic etc.

You surely know of the observation that attacking one's interlocutor is often a sign that the one making those remarks has lost the argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You surely know of the observation that attacking one's interlocutor is often a sign that the one making those remarks has lost the argument.
                      This is hardly a scholarly exchange! One might opine the cuckoos are calling late this year!

And now I really do need to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

This is hardly a scholarly exchange! One might opine the cuckoos are calling late this year!

And now I really do need to go.
                        What a pseudonymous poseur on an internet forum thinks about me will not disturb my sleep.

Comment

She has been confusing her timelines quite a bit lately.
                          Even a person as unfamiliar with history as I am can differentiate glaringly obvious details like that one. Simple confusion seems unlikely - maybe it is in one of the many ancient manuscripts that she alone (seemingly) has access to.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Regardless of the date written, it is not discussing the region after 70A.D. but before.
                            The "Italian Regiment" was also known as the Cohors II Italica Civium Romanorum, and was a Roman cohort from Italia formed from Roman citizens.

Given your affectations concerning all things Roman and Roman military One might assume that you would have known that a cohort in this specific instance was not a legion or even a part of a legion. This was an auxiliary cohort. Legionary cohorts were in a totally different category.

Given the Roman practise of recruiting locally for its auxiliary forces regardless of where the unit had been originally raised, this individual was most likely from somewhere within the region.

If indeed Cornelius [assuming he existed] was a serving centurion he have would found his new religious affiliations somewhat at variance with his official duties in the Roman army and its religious ceremonies, for example, the cult of the standards. It should also be noted that Jews, because of their religious practises and beliefs, were exempted from serving in the Roman military. If this character has any historical basis it would seem more probable that he was retired from the Roman army and therefore his somewhat eccentric religious practises would have occasioned no controversy among his former military comrades.

With regard to your question about permanently stationed legions. Roman legions were garrisoned in legionary fortresses. At this period there were none in Judaea or Galilee. Varus had suppressed the uprising following the death of Herod the Great and had used his legionary troops to do so. However, this was a temporary measure until order had been restored and the political affairs of the region settled.

However, after 70 CE there was a legion garrisoned in Judaea and its commander was also the governor of the new praetorian province of Judaea.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You repeatedly mocked the idea that Jesus' Galilean disciples could ever learn any Greek. They were merely dumb fisherman after all.
                              I have never written any such thing. However, we have to look at this in its historical context. Why would devout Galilean Jews have the slightest interest in the Greek language and Greek philosophical ideas?

Now you have Greek being spoken everywhere including in Galilee.
                              Does the name Alexander of Macedon mean anything to you? How about the Seleucid Empire? Or the names of some of the Hasmonean dynasty [Antigonus, Aristobulus [I & II] and Alexander? Or the Ptolemaic dynasty and Cleopatra VII Philopator?

Good Lord, another instance of you feeling a need to show you "knows stuff" even if little of it is relevant.
                              I was merely providing some historical context for my lamentably ignorant interlocutor.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I shall ask you the same question I put to another lamentably ignorant individual. Does the name Alexander of Macedon mean anything to you?

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment