Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question About Numbers 15:32–36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Numbers 15:32–36

32 While the Israelites were in the wilderness, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp.” 36 So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the Lord commanded Moses.
    How crazy is that???

Moderated By: rogue06

Added "Question About" to the title since clicking on Numbers 15:32–36 takes you to the Blue Letter Bible and not the thread

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by little_monkey View Post

How crazy is that???
      God is full of wrath. That was a different time, a different dispensation. I don't find anything crazy about that. Terrifying yes. Fortunately, God sent His Son Jesus to protect us from his wrath.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Fortunately, God sent His Son Jesus to protect us from his wrath.
        Well, it seems that Jesus said otherwise:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 5:17-20

Comment

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Man, that's some cryptic stuff there. I really don't know. It sounds intriguing.

Comment

God was the Law in OT times, and His Law was His Word, and He and the Law were One, etc. etc. So God is the Law and the Law is God. The Law was then made flesh through Jesus. Just kind of winging it here. There is a lot of symbolism there that actually makes a lot of sense when you dig further into it. I have only recently began reading the Bible, mainly the Psalms right now.

Comment

How crazy is that???
              Not very crazy.

The Ten Words were foundational to the entire Mosaic Covenant between I Am and Israel. Sabbath-keeping was the fourth of those Commandments (Ex. 20:1-17; Deut. 5:4-21). Execution was prescribed as the penalty for violation in Ex. 31:14-15 and Ex. 35:2-3. So the verdict couldn't have surprised anyone.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Earlier in his Gospel, Matthew said that the whole reason for the name "Jesus" was that He would save people from their sins. (Matt. 1:21)

Later in the same Gospel (Matt. 11:28-30) Jesus invites the weary and burdened to come to Him for rest, promising that His burden is light and easy to bear.

Still later in the same Gospel (Matt. 22:36-38), He says that the greatest Commandment is to totally love God, and the second, which is like it or even the same as it is to "Love your neighbor as yourself"; He then says that all the rest of the Law and Prophets depend on those two (or one two-fold) Commandment(s). And still elsewhere (Matt. 7:12), He gives the so-called "Golden Rule," "Treat others as you wish others to treat you," and then explicitly says that single rule "fulfills" the Law and Prophets.

Even without looking at what Jesus said in other Gospels, it appears those hard-line statements about the Law in ch. 5 are not the whole story.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Even without looking at what Jesus said in other Gospels, it appears those hard-line statements about the Law in ch. 5 are not the whole story.
                  Jesus fulfilled the Law by dying. There were quite a few laws of the OT that required death if violated. Jesus fulfilled every jot and tittle of it. Right? Wouldn't you say that His death ultimately fulfilled the law? Because the law required you die if you stepped out of line.

Comment

Jesus fulfilled the Law by dying. There were quite a few laws of the OT that required death if violated. Jesus fulfilled every jot and tittle of it. Right? Wouldn't you say that His death ultimately fulfilled the law? Because the law required you die if you stepped out of line.
                    In what respect [given your above comments] did Jesus step "out of line"?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

In what respect [given your above comments] did Jesus step "out of line"?
                      Good question. Again, I'm just winging things here. I think it all makes sense though, or at least that's my intuition.

He was pushed out of line, or He intentionally stepped outside of it, for the sake of becoming sin.

Comment

Good question. Again, I'm just winging things here. I think it all makes sense though, or at least that's my intuition.

He was pushed out of line
                        By what or whom?

or He intentionally stepped outside of it, for the sake of becoming sin.
                        Jesus became "sin"? Really?

"It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Point of correction.

Jesus fulfilled the ritual law but not the moral law.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

By what or whom?
                            Himself. It was His decision after all. It was His plan of redemption to offer Himself as the sacrifice.

Jesus became "sin"? Really?
                            Yes. that is part of the equation. God actually turned His face from Jesus as He died on the cross. "Father why have you forsaken me?" In a sense, He became sin. I can't go into the nuances of that sense here, but suffice it to say, that in a sense (even in a symbolic sense), He became sin.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Point of correction.

Jesus fulfilled the ritual law but not the moral law.
                              Interesting. I'll definitely note that. It can get overwhelming.

Comment