Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Plantinga's argument for Design.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    I have read some of Plantinga's works, not all. Stop stalling and give the source.
    The Noetic Effects of Sin: A Historical and Contemporary Exploration of how ... By Stephen K. Moroney, pp 77 - 79 - Reformed Epistemology and John Calvin on the Noetic Effects of Sin.

This goes into considerable detail concerning how Plantinga and Wolterstorff views Reformed Epistomology.

Leave a comment:

• OingoBoingo
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I have cited Plantinga, and I will cite him more. The reviewers I WILL CITE are very qualified.

Pro-tip: Cite qualified sources on all sides of an argument. DO NOT rely on philosophers to understand evolution unless they provide appropriate academic sources.
    LOL. You really suck at this, you know that?

Pro-tip: When you have no legs to stand on, on a subject that's clearly over your head, it looks ridiculous when you're giving others pro-tips. Especially one's that you're not even abiding by.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    I have cited Plantinga, and I will cite him more. The reviewers I WILL CITE are very qualified.

Pro-tip: Cite qualified sources on all sides of an argument. DO NOT rely on philosophers to understand evolution unless they provide appropriate academic sources.
    You've cited bits and pieces at best. You have this habit of saying you're going to cite something without ever actually doing it. Stop saying you're going to do it and just do it...

Plantinga is making an extensive argument against Naturalism based on what he describes Evolution can and cannot cause concerning belief and human behavior. This is Geology and Biology, Specialty Paleontology and evolution. Plantinga is out of his field and clueless.
    This is false. He is not claiming what evolution can or cannot cause. Rather, he is claiming that there are alternative explanations for survival benefit which do not guarantee true beliefs.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
    What does geology have to do with Plantinga?
    Plantinga is making an extensive argument against Naturalism based on what he describes Evolution can and cannot cause concerning belief and human behavior. This is Geology and Biology, Specialty Paleontology and evolution. Plantinga is out of his field and clueless.

Leave a comment:

• OingoBoingo
    replied
    According to Plantinga, 'properly basic beliefs' justify only theism not different people holding different beliefs.
    No, he doesn't say this.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Have you read Plantinga? I will provide a source, but first are you aware of his explanation of Reformed Epistemology and the explanation why some people do not believe when they should believe.
    I have read some of Plantinga's works, not all. Stop stalling and give the source.

Leave a comment:

• OingoBoingo
    replied
    I have read his works. The reviewers I will cite are well qualified, and better qualified then I, to express their objections. My objections are specific to my knowledge of geology and evolution. Plantinga is clueless about the science of evolution.
    What does geology have to do with Plantinga?

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Pro-tip: Cite the author not the reviewer.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Source?
    Have you read Plantinga? I will provide a source, but first are you aware of his explanation of Reformed Epistemology and the explanation why some people do not believe when they should believe.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    I have read his works. The reviewers I will cite are well qualified, and better qualified then I, to express their objections. My objections are specific to my knowledge of geology and evolution. Plantinga is clueless about the science of evolution.
    Pro-tip: Cite the author not the reviewer.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    According to Plantinga, 'properly basic beliefs' justify only theism not different people holding different beliefs. Actually from what I read in the past he considers 'sin' to be the cause of 'some' people not holding 'properly basic beliefs.'
    You should back this up with something. As best I can tell, his concept of PBB only seeks to justify theism as one such belief not the only such. Of course, one wouldn't argue that some people don't hold properly basic beliefs. Rather, one would argue that some of those beliefs are wrong due to sin.

In your view is his 'properly basic beliefs,' justifying different people holding different beliefs?
    It would have to.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    You could actually try reading his works and not just rely on selected quotes by reviewers.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Actually from what I read in the past he considers 'sin' to be the cause of 'some' people not holding 'properly basic beliefs.'
    Source?

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    Source?
    Plantinga's whole argument from beginning to end. His purpose is to justify theism as the 'properly basic belief.'

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Serious question here; How does Plantinga objectively determine that the probability is 'Inscrutable?']
    You could actually try reading his works and not just rely on selected quotes by reviewers.

Leave a comment: