Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Synoptics and John: Day of Crucifixion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

This tradition seems to go back aways.

Lots of interest....... lots of believers, it seems:-
    1. ‘Tomb of Jesus’ In Kashmir–Roza Bal Shrine - India …

https://www.indiaheritagewalks.org/b...mir-roz…
      WebSome experts claim that Jesus came to Kashmir during the reign of Raja Gopadatta (49-109 AD). They claim that he must have chosen Kashmir because Kashmiris are considered as one among the ten ‘missing tribes’ …

................................Wow! Experts.........
    The Urantia Book also posits a trip to India by Jesus.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Define "lots."

Not that old

Buddhist and Hindu period

There is no record of the shrine during Kashmir's Buddhist period, nor during the Kashmir Sultanate (1346–1586) when many Buddhist temples were converted into mosques, such as the Shankaracharya Temple or "Throne of Solomon."[15]

Muhammad Dedamari, 1747[edit]

The shrine is first mentioned in the Waqi'at-i-Kashmir (Story of Kashmir, published 1747), also known as the Tarikh Azami (History by Azam)[16] by the Khwaja Muhammad Azam Didamari, a local Srinagar Sufi writer. Muhammed Azam states that the tomb is of a foreign prophet and prince, Yuzasuf, or in modern local Kashimiri transcription Youza Asouph. The name may derive from the Urdu "Yuzasaf" in the legend of Balauhar and Yuzasaf, Yuzasaf being a name for Gautama Buddha.[17] Yuzasaf occurs as a spelling in the Rasail Ikhwan al-Safa of the Brethren of Purity and other sources.[18]David Marshall Lang (1960) notes that the connection of the Buddhist Yuzasaf with Kashmir in part results from a printing error in the Bombay Arabic edition referencing the legend of the Wisdom of Balahvar which makes its hero prince Yuzasaf die in "Kashmir" (Arabic: كشمير) by confusion with Kushinara (Pali: كوشينر), the traditional place of the original Buddha's death.[19][20]

So we gone further back than 1899 now? OK.

Comment

In 1749 it was considered the tomb of a prophet-and-prince. The name has clear links in the language of the area, and may have a link with a Buddha, a tradition that itself seems to be based on a flawed translation. Somewhen between 1749 and 1899 the name comes to be associated with Jesus.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No. The shrine itself dates back to the 18th century. The claim it is Jesus' tomb still dates to 1899.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No. The shrine itself dates back to the 18th century. The claim it is Jesus' tomb still dates to 1899.
            Hmmm...... The Cornish Tradition seems to have a bit more weight, since merchants from Tyre and Sidon were trading with Cornwall since the bronze age, maybe earlier than the story of Moses.
            Who knows?

Comment

Hmmm...... The Cornish Tradition seems to have a bit more weight, since merchants from Tyre and Sidon were trading with Cornwall since the bronze age, maybe earlier than the story of Moses.
              Who knows?
              From what I could find that legend is actually older, possibly stretching back as early as the 12th century.

That Joseph of Arimathea was supposedly a merchant who traveled to Britain to buy tin, and took a teenage Jesus (some myths claim they're related) with him on one trip actually inspired a poem by William Blake in 1808 called "Jerusalem"

And did those feet in ancient time
              Walk upon England's mountains green?
              And was the holy Lamb of God
              On England's pleasant pastures seen?
              And did the countenance divine
              Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
              And was Jerusalem builded here
              Among those dark satanic mills?
              Bring me my bow of burning gold!
              Bring me my arrows of desire!
              Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
              Bring me my chariot of fire!
              I will not cease from mental fight,
              Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
              Till we have built Jerusalem
              In England's green and pleasant land.

All of this also ties into the legend of Joseph bringing the Holy Grail to Britain as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

From what I could find that legend is actually older, possibly stretching back as early as the 12th century.

That Joseph of Arimathea was supposedly a merchant who traveled to Britain to buy tin, and took a teenage Jesus (some myths claim they're related) with him on one trip actually inspired a poem by William Blake in 1808 called "Jerusalem"

And did those feet in ancient time
                Walk upon England's mountains green?
                And was the holy Lamb of God
                On England's pleasant pastures seen?
                And did the countenance divine
                Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
                And was Jerusalem builded here
                Among those dark satanic mills?
                Bring me my bow of burning gold!
                Bring me my arrows of desire!
                Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
                Bring me my chariot of fire!
                I will not cease from mental fight,
                Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
                Till we have built Jerusalem
                In England's green and pleasant land.

All of this also ties into the legend of Joseph bringing the Holy Grail to Britain as well.
                Last week a late Roman cemetery was found somewhere in Yorkshire..... the first ever found in that county/area. So it remained hidden away for 16-1700 years. We are walking over lands filled with history.

In 1985 a friend bough a field just south of Faversham, Kent. He had to extract miles of wire and poles from this field because it had been a Hops field and as he worked he found axes, stone axes and stone tools, scores of them ...... walking over history.

Comment

Last week a late Roman cemetery was found somewhere in Yorkshire..... the first ever found in that county/area. So it remained hidden away for 16-1700 years. We are walking over lands filled with history.

In 1985 a friend bough a field just south of Faversham, Kent. He had to extract miles of wire and poles from this field because it had been a Hops field and as he worked he found axes, stone axes and stone tools, scores of them ...... walking over history.
                  Which is why it is unnecessary to make stuff up when reality can be so fascinating.

Comment

Which is why it is unnecessary to make stuff up when reality can be so fascinating.
                    Truth can be stranger..........

Comment