Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Synoptics and John: Day of Crucifixion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversing with Hyper_Alexander reminds of me of that Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.

Calvin: "A man is walking his dog and tells the dog, 'Heel!' The dog says, 'It takes one to know one.' Ha ha ha!"
    Hobbes: ...
    Calvin: "What's the matter with you! Don't you get it?"
    Hobbes: "I'm trying to figure out how the dog learned to talk."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Back to ad hominems so soon.

Simple facts - the day that the Passover must be sacrificed is the fourteenth of Nisan, aka the day of Preparation. The lamb is sacrificed, the meal is eaten, Jesus is buried - all on the day that the lamb must be sacrificed. The only way that is possible is if the sacrifice is conducted immediately after day break (which is when Samaritan Jews still conduct the sacrifice.)
      In John the event is placed "before the feast of Passover" but suggests it happened at the start of 14 Nissan thereby implying this was not a Passover meal. However, we have nothing explicit.

The Synoptics describe it as a Passover meal. This included the Passover lamb, which after it had been ritually slaughtered at the temple would be eaten after sunset on the start of 15 Nissan - now known in contemporary Judaism as the Seder meal. The Synoptics also introduce the idea of the Eucharist which is implicitly linked to the Passover in Mark 14.12-16; Matthew 26.17-19 and explicitly in Luke 22.15 "He said to them, I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer". My emphasis.

And while the three Synoptics are not in complete agreement on the details of that ceremony Luke does have Jesus saying at 22.19 "Do this in remembrance of me" . In this the author would appear to following Paul "and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for[f] you. Do this in remembrance of me.” [ 1 Corinthians 11.24]

According to a rabbi here:

https://aish.com/passover-14th-or-15th/

Thank you for your interesting question. You are right that the Torah makes mention of a holiday on the 14th of Nisan. But interestingly, that is a separate holiday from Passover, which begins on the 15th. If you read Leviticus 23:5-6 carefully, you will see that there are actually two holidays at this time:

(a) “Pesach” – the slaughtering and eating of the paschal lamb (or goat) which begins the afternoon of the 14th with its slaughtering and continues that night with its consumption.

(b) “The Holiday of Matzot” – the seven day feast we refer to as Passover, which begins the night of the 15th.

Today, without our holy Temple, we do not bring the Passover offering. Thus, the only holiday relevant to us is Passover itself which begins on the 15th. Even so, the 14th is still considered a minor holiday – mainly in commemoration of the ancient holiday, where many have the custom not to work (beyond Passover preparations) and there is likewise a custom to study the laws of the Passover offering (Shulchan Aruch O.C. 46:8:1-3, Mishna Berurah 1).

Another relevant point is that although in most areas of Jewish law, a “day” begins the evening before, for Temple service the night follows the day. This is as the Temple offerings of the day would often be burned or consumed the night after (and many would become invalid the next day). Thus, the holiday of "Pesach" actually began the day of the 14th, ending the night of the 15th

And another rabbi here:https://www.hebcal.com/home/1247/pes...an-vs-the-14th

First of all, it’s helpful to know and understand the Hebrew and to know that in ancient days there were two sacrifices i.e. two holidays that were conjoined into one in later days. There was the Pascal sacrifice/Pascal holiday which was known as the “Pesach” or “passover.” This was an agricultural holiday celebrating springtime and the new lambs of the flock and it apparently preceded the Exodus from Egypt by many, many years. That sacrifice/holiday was on the 14th of Nisan. And it’s the term that in later days came to be used in Judaism for what was in ancient times a separate sacrifice/holiday celebrated a day later…the 15th of Nisan and the start of a 7 day festival during which matza was eaten. The holiday celebrating the Exodus is (in the Bible) usually called Chag HaMatzot or Festival of Matzah. So a more precise translation of verses 16 and 17 would read:

וּבַחֹ֣דֶשׁ הָרִאשׁ֗וֹן בְּאַרְבָּעָ֥ה עָשָׂ֛ר י֖וֹם לַחֹ֑דֶשׁ פֶּ֖סַח לַיהוָֽה׃
      16) In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, there shall be a passover (pesach) sacrifice to the Lord

וּבַחֲמִשָּׁ֨ה עָשָׂ֥ר י֛וֹם לַחֹ֥דֶשׁ הַזֶּ֖ה חָ֑ג שִׁבְעַ֣ת יָמִ֔ים מַצּ֖וֹת יֵאָכֵֽל׃
      17) and on the fifteenth day of that month a festival (chag). Unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days.

To add just a little, I quote from the Jewish Publication Society’s commentary on the Book of Numbers on page 243:
      “The day of the paschal offering and the seven-day Festival of Unleavened Bread are discrete holidays. Yet the fact that the paschal offering is mentioned even though it is a private sacrifice (see Exodus 12:1-11) –– and hence no description is given –– indicates that the two festivals are already fused.”

In later centuries, the two sacrifices were both made on the 14th of Nisan. The “pesach”/paschal offering earlier in the day than the offering for the Chag HaMatzot since that was the lamb that was to be eaten at the Seder commemorating the Exodus and it had to be slaughtered and roasted prior to sundown of the 15th so that it could be consumed during the Seder.

And here:https://www.chabad.org/holidays/pass...-Nissan-14.htm

Welcome home! How inspiring that you are reintroducing Judaism to your life and the life of your family.

In response to your question, you’re correct that the Torah refers to Passover on the 14th. But it also refers to the “Festival of Matzot” on the 15th. Why the discrepancy? Let’s examine these verses from Leviticus 23:
      • “In the first month, on the 14th of the month, in the afternoon, the Passover to the L‑rd.”1
      • “And on the 15th day of that month is the Festival of Matzahs to the L‑rd; you shall eat matzahs for a seven-day period.”2

So what is this “Passover” on the 14th? It is not the Festival of Matzahs, since that only begins that evening (since the Jewish days begin at nightfall). Rather, it is the Passover offering, which was slaughtered on the 14th and eaten that night—the 15th—together with matzah at the onset of the Festival of Matzahs.

As previously stated the gospel accounts differ as to when the event was supposed to occur, before Passover in John [generally considered more likely] or on the festival of Passover in the Synoptics.

"It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

In John the event is placed "before the feast of Passover" but suggests it happened at the start of 14 Nissan thereby implying this was not a Passover meal.
        I already stated that the synoptic gospels show that the meal was eaten on the night of the 14th - that is to say, at the start of the 14th. There is however, no implication that it was not a Passover meal. Not all of the Hebrew celebrations of Passover were held at the same time. John is very careful in his coverage of each of the Passovers that he mentions, to state that they were Passover festivals of the Jews. He is also careful to point out that the Day of Preparation of the Jews is the day when Christ was executed. The careful delineation is reflected in a statement like "I attended an Eastern Church celebration of Easter" - it is the kind of comment that is made when the audience is not expected to know which particular version of the event is referred to.

The Synoptics describe it as a Passover meal. This included the Passover lamb, which after it had been ritually slaughtered at the temple would be eaten after sunset on the start of 15 Nissan - now known in contemporary Judaism as the Seder meal. The Synoptics also introduce the idea of the Eucharist which is implicitly linked to the Passover in Mark 14.12-16; Matthew 26.17-19 and explicitly in Luke 22.15 "He said to them, I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer". My emphasis.
        All of which underscores my earlier point that ambiguous statements should be interpreted in the light of explicit statements. John states explicitly that Jesus was buried on the day before the Sabbath, as do the Synoptic gospels' authors. John states that Jesus was buried at the close of the day of Preparation - so do the synoptic gospels' authors.

the Torah makes mention of a holiday on the 14th of Nisan. But interestingly, that is a separate holiday from Passover, which begins on the 15th. If you read Leviticus 23:5-6 carefully, you will see that there are actually two holidays at this time:

Indeed - the Torah does make mention of a holiday on the 14th of Nisan, which is called in the Torah "Passover," with the festival of unleavened bread commencing on the 15th. The fifteenth incidentally, is a (deutero) Sabbath. John calls it a high day.

Leviticus 23:5 ‘In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at twilight is the LORD’S Passover. 6 ‘Then on the fifteenth day of the same month there is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the LORD

Number 9:2 “Now, let the sons of Israel observe the Passover at its appointed time. 3 “On the fourteenth day of this month, at twilight, you shall observe it at its appointed time; you shall observe it according to all its statutes and according to all its ordinances.”

Note those emphasised "all"s - the whole of the Passover rite is to be performed on the fourteenth. No mention of any part of the Passover being conducted on the fifteenth even hinted at. That is the way that the Samaritan Jews interpret the reading even today.

Numbers 28:16 Then on the fourteenth day of the first month shall be the LORD’S Passover. 17 ‘On the fifteenth day of this month shall be a feast, unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days.

(a) “Pesach” – the slaughtering and eating of the paschal lamb (or goat) which begins the afternoon of the 14th with its slaughtering and continues that night with its consumption.

(b) “The Holiday of Matzot” – the seven day feast we refer to as Passover, which begins the night of the 15th.
        The difference between the observance of Passover between the Torah Rite and the Temple Rite is perfectly clear. In the temple rite, the seven day festival of Passover begins on the fifteenth. In the Torah rite, the single day celebration of Passover is conducted on the fourteenth, followed by the seven day festival of unleavened bread.

And another rabbi here:https://www.hebcal.com/home/1247/pes...an-vs-the-14th

[I]First of all, it’s helpful to know and understand the Hebrew and to know that in ancient days there were two sacrifices i.e. two holidays that were conjoined into one in later days. There was the Pascal sacrifice/Pascal holiday which was known as the “Pesach” or “passover.”This was an agricultural holiday celebrating springtime and the new lambs of the flock and it apparently preceded the Exodus from Egypt by many, many years. That sacrifice/holiday was on the 14th of Nisan. And it’s the term that in later days came to be used in Judaism for what was in ancient times a separate sacrifice/holiday celebrated a day later…the 15th of Nisan and the start of a 7 day festival during which matza was eaten. The holiday celebrating the Exodus is (in the Bible) usually called Chag HaMatzot or Festival of Matzah. So a more precise translation of verses 16 and 17 would read:
        So this Rabbi confirms what I have been saying - even to citing Numbers 28:16-17

16) In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, there shall be a passover (pesach) sacrifice to the Lord 17) and on the fifteenth day of that month a festival (chag). Unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days.
        In later centuries, the two sacrifices were both made on the 14th of Nisan. The “pesach”/paschal offering earlier in the day than the offering for the Chag HaMatzot since that was the lamb that was to be eaten at the Seder commemorating the Exodus and it had to be slaughtered and roasted prior to sundown of the 15th so that it could be consumed during the Seder.

And here:https://www.chabad.org/holidays/pass...-Nissan-14.htm

Welcome home! How inspiring that you are reintroducing Judaism to your life and the life of your family.

In response to your question, you’re correct that the Torah refers to Passover on the 14th. But it also refers to the “Festival of Matzot” on the 15th. Why the discrepancy? Let’s examine these verses from Leviticus 23:
        • “In the first month, on the 14th of the month, in the afternoon, the Passover to the L‑rd.”1
        • “And on the 15th day of that month is the Festival of Matzahs to the L‑rd; you shall eat matzahs for a seven-day period.”2

So what is this “Passover” on the 14th? It is not the Festival of Matzahs, since that only begins that evening (since the Jewish days begin at nightfall). Rather, it is the Passover offering, which was slaughtered on the 14th and eaten that night—the 15th—together with matzah at the onset of the Festival of Matzahs.[/box]
        So, your sources confirm that a Passover held in conformity with the Temple rite would span the fourteenth and fifteenth, the sacrifice being conducted on the fourteenth and the meal being eaten on the fifteenth, while the Torah rite would be held on the evening and night of the fourteenth: the procedure that continues today for the Samaritan Jews and for Beta Israel. Until the twentieth century, Beta Israel had had no contact with other Hebrews since before the construction of the second temple. All up, there is no reason to believe that Jesus would have adopted the Temple rite - the gospels show that he hadn't.

Last edited by tabibito; 05-13-2022, 10:56 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I already stated that the synoptic gospels show that the meal was eaten on the night of the 14th - that is to say, at the start of the 14th.
          My emphasis. They don't. The three Synoptics make it quite clear that the last meal was a Seder

There is however, no implication that it was not a Passover meal.
          "(a) “Pesach” – the slaughtering and eating of the paschal lamb (or goat) which begins the afternoon of the 14th with its slaughtering and continues that night with its consumption."

If the meal was eaten at the start of the 14th as you contend the lamb would have not yet been slaughtered. Hence it could not have been a Passover meal.

Not all of the Hebrew celebrations of Passover were held at the same time. John is very careful in his coverage of each of the Passovers that he mentions, to state that they were Passover festivals of the Jews. He is also careful to point out that the Day of Preparation of the Jews is the day when Christ was executed. The careful delineation is reflected in a statement like "I attended an Eastern Church celebration of Easter" - it is the kind of comment that is made when the audience is not expected to know which particular version of the event is referred to.

All of which underscores my earlier point that ambiguous statements should be interpreted in the light of explicit statements. John states explicitly that Jesus was buried on the day before the Sabbath, as do the Synoptic gospels' authors. John states that Jesus was buried at the close of the day of Preparation - so do the synoptic gospels' authors.

the Torah makes mention of a holiday on the 14th of Nisan. But interestingly, that is a separate holiday from Passover, which begins on the 15th. If you read Leviticus 23:5-6 carefully, you will see that there are actually two holidays at this time:

Indeed - the Torah does make mention of a holiday on the 14th of Nisan, which is called in the Torah "Passover," with the festival of unleavened bread commencing on the 15th.

Leviticus 23:5 ‘In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at twilight is the LORD’S Passover. 6 ‘Then on the fifteenth day of the same month there is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the LORD

Number 9:2 “Now, let the sons of Israel observe the Passover at its appointed time. 3 “On the fourteenth day of this month, at twilight, you shall observe it at its appointed time; you shall observe it according to all its statutes and according to all its ordinances.”

Note those emphasised "all"s - the whole of the Passover rite is to be performed on the fourteenth. No mention of any part of the Passover being conducted on the fifteenth even hinted at. That is the way that the Samaritan Jews interpret the reading even today.

Numbers 28:16 Then on the fourteenth day of the first month shall be the LORD’S Passover. 17 ‘On the fifteenth day of this month shall be a feast, unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days.

The difference between the observance of Passover between the Torah Rite and the Temple Rite is perfectly clear. In the temple rite, the seven day festival of Passover begins on the fifteenth. In the Torah rite, the single day celebration of Passover is conducted on the fourteenth, followed by the seven day festival of unleavened bread.

So this Rabbi confirms what I have been saying - even to citing Numbers 28:16-17

So, your sources confirm that a Passover held in conformity with the Temple rite would span the fourteenth and fifteenth, the sacrifice being conducted on the fourteenth and the meal being eaten on the fifteenth, while the Torah rite would be held on the evening and night of the fourteenth: the procedure that continues today for the Samaritan Jews and for Beta Israel. Until the twentieth century, Beta Israel had had no contact with other Hebrews since before the construction of the second temple. All up, there is no reason to believe that Jesus would have adopted the Temple rite - the gospels show that he hadn't.

"Rather, it is the Passover offering, which was slaughtered on the 14th and eaten that night—the 15th—together with matzah at the onset of the Festival of Matzahs."

I will take what rabbis have written over the contentions of a pseudonymous contributor to a Christian discussion board who is trying to allege that these four gospel accounts do not contradict one another and are therefore in harmony, when they self-evidently are not.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            My emphasis. They don't. The three Synoptics make it quite clear that the last meal was a Seder

"(a) “Pesach” – the slaughtering and eating of the paschal lamb (or goat) which begins the afternoon of the 14th with its slaughtering and continues that night with its consumption."

If the meal was eaten at the start of the 14th as you contend the lamb would have not yet been slaughtered. Hence it could not have been a Passover meal.
            In the first century calendar, the day starts at sunset. If the lamb is slaughtered at the start of the day, the night will be about an hour later, and it will be that night.

"Rather, it is the Passover offering, which was slaughtered on the 14th and eaten that night—the 15th—together with matzah at the onset of the Festival of Matzahs."

I will take what rabbis have written over the contentions of a pseudonymous contributor to a Christian discussion board who is trying to allege that these four gospel accounts do not contradict one another and are therefore in harmony, when they self-evidently are not.
            Ah - more petulant ad hominems.

If you were to take the Rabbis seriously, you would note that they had stated that the Torah stipulates the fourteenth as the date of Passover and that variations were introduced later.

However, the point here is what is recorded in the gospels themselves.

The synoptics show that after the meal, and after the crucifixion, it was still the day of preparation - which is what John states.
            Last edited by tabibito; 05-13-2022, 11:37 AM.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

LUKE’S AGREEMENT WITH JOHN
              JOHN LUKE
              Before the Meal The day when the Passover must be sacrificed. (Nisan 14) 22:7
              Night Meal, Arrest, Inquisition
              Day Trials, Sentence, Crucifixion
              Death (at the 9th hour: Luke Only) 19:30 23:46
              After Jesus dies Jesus is interred 19:42 23:53
              The Day of Preparation (Nisan 14) 19:42 23:54

Luke's record starts by identifying the day, and concludes by identifying the day. It is therefore patently obvious that in Luke's account, Jesus and the disciples eat the meal before the Jews conduct their sacrifice of the Passover.
              Last edited by tabibito; 05-13-2022, 02:39 PM.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There - that's an outline simple enough that even the most eminent theologian should be able to understand it.
                Last edited by tabibito; 05-14-2022, 01:16 AM.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The Majority Consensus claim that John nominates the day of crucifixion one day before the day nominated by the synoptic gospels is that "the day the Passover must be sacrificed" and "the Day of Preparation" (Nisan 14 by either name), later termed "Passover Eve," is one day before Nisan 15. That day is a Sabbath, whether it falls on a Saturday or any other day of the week. If the Synoptic gospels state that Jesus was crucified one day later than the day John nominates, Jesus is crucified on a Sabbath (Nisan 15). Not only do the Jews object to having bodies hanging around on crosses on the Sabbath, but the synoptic gospels are uniform in concurring with John, that Jesus was buried on the Day of Preparation (Nisan 14)*. According to Majority Consensus then, the authors of the synoptic gospels say that Jesus' dead body was buried on the day before he was crucified.

Hanko.jpg

(Encyclopaedia of the Bible) John ... placed the Last Supper in advance of the Passover feast, whereas the crucifixion was assigned to the “day of Preparation of the Passover” (John 19:14). As with the sabbath, the day which preceded the celebration of the Passover was a time of intensive preparation, and at the turn of the Christian era had become known as the “Passover eve.”
                  Attached Files
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The day of Christ’s crucifixion

The argument that a discrepancy between John’s gospel and those of the Synoptics’ authors is based on the concept that the Passover cannot be eaten on the fourteenth of Nisan. In addition to the lack of any supporting evidence in historical documents, that concept called into question by Samaritan and Beta Jewish practice, where the Passover is sacrificed during the evening, after the change of date, signalled by three stars becoming visible in the evening sky. On the fourteenth of Nisan, at its “dawn,” immediately after the day starts, between roughly 6 and 7 (or so) p.m. – p. (post/after) m. (meridian/midday), the Passover is sacrificed.

Determining whether the synoptics’ authors nominate a different day for Christ’s crucifixion to that nominated by John begins with the answer to two questions: “On what date must the Passover be sacrificed?” and, “On what date is the Day of Preparation?” The answer to both questions is the fourteenth of Nisan. From there, the search is successfully conducted in Luke, who states that the last supper was conducted on the same day that Christ was crucified. Prior to the meal Luke states explicitly that the day the Passover must be sacrificed had come. When Christ is interred, Luke states explicitly that it was still the day of Preparation. The date, from sacrifice to interment, is the fourteenth of Nisan.

It doesn't matter which of the gospels is interpreted to give the 15th as the date that Christ was crucified, that interpretation inevitably has the same gospel saying that Christ was interred the day before he was crucified. Luke’s account is not in conflict with John’s, nor with those of Matthew and Mark. No more than the foregoing should need to be said, but this is a matter of theology.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 07-05-2022, 07:19 AM.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

tabibito,
                      re: "John in agreement with the synoptics."

In agreement with regard to what?

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                        tabibito,
                        re: "John in agreement with the synoptics."

In agreement with regard to what?
                        John and the Synoptics' authors agree that the day Christ was crucified was the Day of Preparation for the Passover (i.e. Nisan 14)
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

John and the Synoptics' authors agree that the day Christ was crucified was the Day of Preparation for the Passover (i.e. Nisan 14)
                          Who says otherwise and explains their logic for getting around the scriptures which seem to place it on the 14th?

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post

Who says otherwise and explains their logic for getting around the scriptures which seem to place it on the 14th?
                            I am assured by a number of reliable people, holders of PhDs in Theology (as well as the most unreliable person that I know of), that majority consensus holds the position that John records the day of crucifixion as one day before that recorded in the Synoptic gospels.

The "logic" is simply that the Passover meal is eaten on the 15th (and only on the 15th), so despite the explicit gospel claims that Jesus was buried on the 14th (the Day of Preparation), he was crucified on the 15th (a deutero-Sabbath) according to the Synoptic gospels. However, John clearly states that the Jews had not celebrated the Passover, so John's claim is that Jesus was crucified on the 14th, therefore, according to John, the Last Supper was not a Passover meal.

Luke of course records the meal as occurring between the start of the day that the Passover must be sacrificed (14th Nisan) and the burial of Jesus body on the day of Preparation (14th Nisan), which means this "majority consensus" affirms that Jesus was interred the day before he was crucified. My response is to point out that the TARDIS is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible.

If you're feeling masochistic, some detail regarding the debate is here through to the (current) end of the thread.
                            Last edited by tabibito; 07-21-2022, 07:07 AM.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A proper academic-style write up progresses. By the end of the decade, I might even get to publish a paper.

Precis

The conduct of the Passover sacrifice and the Last Supper as described by the Synoptic Gospels do not conform with the Temple Rite.
                              • The Temple Rite of Passover (John’s “the Passover of the Jews”) was only one variant celebration of Passover in the first century, and remains just one legitimate variant.
                              • The date set by the synoptic gospels for the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread (14th) conflicts with the date set by the Temple Rite (15th).
                              • The Passover Sacrifice and Last Supper were conducted more nearly in accordance with the Samaritan than with the Temple Rite.
                              The Passover Sacrifice and the interment of Christ’s body were conducted on the same day.
                              • Whichever of the Hebrew calendars is used, the 14th day of the first month is set as the day the Passover must be sacrificed.
                                • On the day that the Passover must be sacrificed (Luke), whilst they were conducting the sacrifice (Mark), Jesus sent two disciples to prepare the meal.
                              • In the Temple Calendar, the 14th day of the first month is the Day of Preparation.
                                • According to each of the four gospels, Christ’s body was interred on the Day of Preparation.
                              With regard to day of Christ’s execution, the facts as presented by the Synoptic Gospels show that the Passover sacrifice must have been conducted during the first evening of the 14th, i.e. after sunset of the 13th and after the break of day (less than twenty minutes before nightfall of the 14th). That does not conform with the Temple Rite, but it does conform with the Samaritan Rite.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No attempt to harmonise is necessary - they do that well enough for themselves. The synoptic gospels show that Jesus and the disciples ate their Passover meal before the Jews made their sacrifice.
                                The Passover celebration lasted seven days. Hundreds of thousands of Jews attended the Passover. I have read that 2000 Priests and 6000 Temple guards were required to serve during the three major feasts.

It was not possible for all the visitors to take their Passover meal during one day.

Comment