Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Childbirth Increased Pangs "Curse"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The less pain, the more likely a woman would have more babies. evolutionary advantage.
    Not a good argument from the evolutionary nor Biblical perspective. Also the Biblical perspective does not consider 'evolution as a possible cause of 'birth pains' nor morning sickness.

As far as evolutionary advantage the increased evolving brain size and therefore the size of the head contributes to birth pain. Humans have survived very well based on other evolutionary advantages.

Leave a comment:

• Alien
    replied

The less pain, the more likely a woman would have more babies. evolutionary advantage.
    I addressed that.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Alien View Post

Good ideas don't have to evolve.

It would have to result in more babies being born to mothers with the mutation than those without.

I have heard women say that they forget about the pain of birthing and it doesn't put them off having another child if they want one.

Up until recently women didn't have a lot of choice in child bearing.

Women have a higher pain tolerance than men, which may be an adaptation for this purpose.

The development of the larger head to accommodate our larger brain would seem to be a reasonable explanation without invoking curses.

Leave a comment:

• Alien
    replied
    An easy evolutionary adaptation would seem to be just limit the pain receptors during childbirth, so why didn't that evolve? An evolutionary epidural.
    Good ideas don't have to evolve.

It would have to result in more babies being born to mothers with the mutation than those without.

I have heard women say that they forget about the pain of birthing and it doesn't put them off having another child if they want one.

Up until recently women didn't have a lot of choice in child bearing.

Women have a higher pain tolerance than men, which may be an adaptation for this purpose.

The development of the larger head to accommodate our larger brain would seem to be a reasonable explanation without invoking curses.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    An easy evolutionary adaptation would seem to be just limit the pain receptors during childbirth, so why didn't that evolve? An evolutionary epidural.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    started a topic Childbirth Increased Pangs "Curse"

Childbirth Increased Pangs "Curse"

In another thread, Lee Merrill and I have veered into child birth pangs territory, and I must admit I don't have a lot of hope for Lee convincing me human history and anatomical development are insufficient means to explain child birth pangs. He opts for "the curse" explanation. I think this is more logical:

https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...rth-so-painful

Is there any good evidence that morning sickness and the necessity of epidurals is a curse rather than the explanations offered by science?

Why would God expect rational minds to regard the pain of child bearing and childbirth as a supernatural "curse" rather than a culmination of anatomical evolution?