Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Send proof! of miracles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I wasn't allowed to watch the Ghostbusters movies or The Real Ghostbusters* cartoon. My parents did allow me to have some of the toys, but that was it. My parents also incessantly drilled into my mind the distinction between fiction/imagination and reality. I was actively conditioned against believing something like what I saw was something that could really happen. Due to my Autism I had difficulties with imaginative** play.

I'm 35 years old. The toys were based on the cartoon series, which came out in 1986, a year before my birth. A show that I was not allowed to watch. The most I saw of it was either commercials, or the time it took to get up and change the channel***. While memory might not be infallible, some people have better accuracy and memory that goes back much further than 40 years without substantial change.

If it were just the one incident that I saw, then I'd probably be dismissing it too. However I've had way too many encounters that other people could verify by either them experiencing similar things in the area, or they were direct witnesses to it too. Similar accounts can be found throughout the entire planet. Some of them are fakes or hallucinations, but there are many that aren't either of those things.

This is what Ghostbusters toys looked like back then.

[...]

For the most part they are very stylized and cartoonish. Very different from what I saw.

*The reason the cartoon was called "The Real Ghostbusters" is that there were two Ghostbusters franchises. One of them became an instant hit, and the other very few people have heard of.

**I don't lack the capacity for imagination, that is aphantasia. In fact I can imagine things in great detail and in all senses, but it is always very "detached" from my physical surroundings. My parents noticed the difference between how I played with toys, and how I used my imagination compared to other kids. They just never attributed any significance to it.

***We didn't have a remote control back then. It was one of the older models that only could be changed by going up to it and turning the dial.
    It should be abundantly clear to you by now that Hyper_Alexander isn't engaging you in honest debate. She's going to keep picking at your claims until she can find what she thinks is an irreconcilable difficulty so she can dismiss your entire experience as the delusions of the ignorant. I really don't know why you've persisted this long in this conversation.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-17-2022, 09:51 AM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It should be abundantly clear to you by now that Hyper_Alexander isn't engaging you in honest debate. She's going to keep picking at your claims until she can find what she thinks is an irreconcilable difficulty so she can dismiss your entire experience as the delusions of the ignorant. I really don't know why you've persisted this long in this conversation.
      Yeah, I know. Sometimes I'm just too hyper focused on making a response to objections to stop replying. That's one of the reasons I end up with very long and detailed posts. That will hopefully be my last response to her.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Given that there are scores of theories for who was the inspiration for Scrooge
        [My emphasis] Are there really?

Perhaps you would like to provide twenty or so of these theories and the individual each cites as inspiration [given that there are apparently "scores" of them]

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I wasn't allowed to watch the Ghostbusters movies or The Real Ghostbusters* cartoon. My parents did allow me to have some of the toys, but that was it. My parents also incessantly drilled into my mind the distinction between fiction/imagination and reality. I was actively conditioned against believing something like what I saw was something that could really happen. Due to my Autism I had difficulties with imaginative** play.

I'm 35 years old. The toys were based on the cartoon series, which came out in 1986, a year before my birth. A show that I was not allowed to watch. The most I saw of it was either commercials, or the time it took to get up and change the channel***. While memory might not be infallible, some people have better accuracy and memory that goes back much further than 40 years without substantial change.

If it were just the one incident that I saw, then I'd probably be dismissing it too. However I've had way too many encounters that other people could verify by either them experiencing similar things in the area, or they were direct witnesses to it too. Similar accounts can be found throughout the entire planet. Some of them are fakes or hallucinations, but there are many that aren't either of those things.

This is what Ghostbusters toys looked like back then.

For the most part they are very stylized and cartoonish. Very different from what I saw.

*The reason the cartoon was called "The Real Ghostbusters" is that there were two Ghostbusters franchises. One of them became an instant hit, and the other very few people have heard of.

**I don't lack the capacity for imagination, that is aphantasia. In fact I can imagine things in great detail and in all senses, but it is always very "detached" from my physical surroundings. My parents noticed the difference between how I played with toys, and how I used my imagination compared to other kids. They just never attributed any significance to it.

***We didn't have a remote control back then. It was one of the older models that only could be changed by going up to it and turning the dial.
          I repeat that with all due respect this demonic encounter that you have described reminds me of something one might find in a horror movie.

And for a man of thirty five years of age years to be able to recount in such detail his experiences as a child of four including his dealing with a heavy sliding door and the various rooms he ran through, leads me to the conclusion that while you believe this happened, it did not actually take place.

However, it is quite clear that we are not going to change one another's position on these issues, and so I thank you for your time.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment