Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Sale at Zondervan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale at Zondervan

Apologetics books (especially e-books) are on sale at Zondervan, just FYI...

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Thanks Lee, I need more Chesterton!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Not a huge fan of Zondervan, tbh. I don't care for their headline translation (NIV family), and do we really need THAT many ways to package scripture?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Not a huge fan of Zondervan, tbh. I don't care for their headline translation (NIV family), and do we really need THAT many ways to package scripture?
        How about Thomas Nelson?
        https://store.ancientfaith.com/the-o...-todays-world/

We just bought a copy of that one on sale, and it looks like it's still on sale. Maybe it always is? I dunno. We have a copy of the 2008 edition, too.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

How about Thomas Nelson?
          https://store.ancientfaith.com/the-o...-todays-world/

We just bought a copy of that one on sale, and it looks like it's still on sale. Maybe it always is? I dunno. We have a copy of the 2008 edition, too.
          You can download the 2015 version in pdf for free here: https://www.pdfdrive.com/the-orthodo...e33409373.html

St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology's 'The Orthodox Study Bible (Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World) -- all 12,505 pages -- is also a free pdf: https://www.pdfdrive.com/st-athanasi...158086083.html

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            You can download the 2015 version in pdf for free here: https://www.pdfdrive.com/the-orthodo...e33409373.html

St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology's 'The Orthodox Study Bible (Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World) -- all 12,505 pages -- is also a free pdf: https://www.pdfdrive.com/st-athanasi...158086083.html

I can think of no other format more annoying than PDF, for such a large book that most people need to skip around in. A fully indexed Kindle version would be much better, or better yet one that works with Logos.

Besides, taking a pirated copy of the Bible seems wrong somehow.

Comment

I can think of no other format more annoying than PDF, for such a large book that most people need to skip around in. A fully indexed Kindle version would be much better, or better yet one that works with Logos.

Besides, taking a pirated copy of the Bible seems wrong somehow.
              FWICT, these aren't pirated.

And yes, pdf is a pain, but the price is right

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

PDF is much better than kindle format from my point of view. Even better in word format, but word doesn't (maybe didn't, I haven't checked recently) handle conversion from PDF all that well.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  PDF is much better than kindle format from my point of view. Even better in word format, but word doesn't (maybe didn't, I haven't checked recently) handle conversion from PDF all that well.
                  Given I'm using a desktop, PDF doesn't pose the same problems that I've seen on laptops, tablets and similar devices.

Given, if you noticed from the selection I mentioned elsewhere, I'm not getting light reading but just the sort of stuff I'd want either in book form or on my desktop.

I've noted that some books come in different formatting selections. One I downloaded didn't come as a PDF but, in something else that my computer was telling me to go to the Google app store to get something to open it. Irritated, I set it up to download again and noticed that the button you click to download offers options, so I changed it to PDF.

Comment

Why would Thomas Nelson charge $18 for the ebook version, and then turn around and make it available for free on someone else's website?

Comment

Why would Thomas Nelson charge $18 for the ebook version, and then turn around and make it available for free on someone else's website?
                      Why are most books that are available for free in various electronic forms still be for sale elsewhere? Why did Andrew Loke just publish Investigating the Resurrection of Jesus Christ: A New Transdisciplinary Approach in 2020 then last year make it available for free in electronic form?

Comment

Why are most books that are available for free in various electronic forms still be for sale elsewhere? Why did Andrew Loke just publish Investigating the Resurrection of Jesus Christ: A New Transdisciplinary Approach in 2020 then last year make it available for free in electronic form?
                        Probably for marketing. At any rate, I have sent an email to Thomas Nelson to clarify. That website you linked to just sets off too many warning bells. On the "about" page, it says their crawlers just find random PDF files on the Internet and copy them to their own servers. So all that means, is that their automated process found that Bible somewhere. It does not mean it is legitimate. The fact that they have several slightly different versions dated only one year apart is another clue (there is no "2015 edition", only one from 2008, and one from 2019). I see now that they also have one dated 2008. So that's at least three slightly different copies of what is probably the 2008 edition. That would be really sloppy, coming from such a well known publisher.

I will wait and see how the representative from Thomas Nelson replies to my email.

Comment

Probably for marketing. At any rate, I have sent an email to Thomas Nelson to clarify. That website you linked to just sets off too many warning bells. On the "about" page, it says their crawlers just find random PDF files on the Internet and copy them to their own servers. So all that means, is that their automated process found that Bible somewhere. It does not mean it is legitimate. The fact that they have several slightly different versions dated only one year apart is another clue (there is no "2015 edition", only one from 2008, and one from 2019). I see now that they also have one dated 2008. So that's at least three slightly different copies of what is probably the 2008 edition. That would be really sloppy, coming from such a well known publisher.

I will wait and see how the representative from Thomas Nelson replies to my email.
                          That's how most sites like that function. They find material that has already been downloaded and make a copy themselves and store them in one place for convenience.

Everything You Need To Know About PDF Drive

PDF Drive: Top 24 PDFdrive Alternative Sites to Download Free PDF Files

This isn't Pirate's Bay or whatever that was.

In any case, let me know what you hear back.

Comment

That's how most sites like that function. They find material that has already been downloaded and make a copy themselves and store them in one place for convenience.

Everything You Need To Know About PDF Drive

PDF Drive: Top 24 PDFdrive Alternative Sites to Download Free PDF Files

This isn't Pirate's Bay or whatever that was.

In any case, let me know what you hear back.
                            They emailed me back forever ago and I keep forgetting to update here.

Basically, they just sent me a link to their page that explains how their materials may be used.

https://www.harpercollinschristian.c...s/permissions/

Posting the entirety of one of their translations online for free on a third-party site does not appear to be permitted. Thus, that copy you found is indeed a pirated copy. That it was found online somewhere by a bot and copied to another website does not make it legit. That bot found several pirated copies and grabbed a copy of each.

Comment