Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Humanism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humanism?

Is there a greater affirmation for humanism, a greater ideal for human worth, than the idea or belief that the Creator of the universe became human?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Is there a greater affirmation for humanism, a greater ideal for human worth, than the idea or belief that the Creator of the universe became human?
    Yes.

The idea or belief that the creator of the universe became human before any other humans existed, provided the earliest humans with the humanist manifesto, and is actively providing us with a permanent example of living according to that manifesto as he lives among us, undying, supporting each new generation of humans in turn.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Any more thoughts on this topic? I thought Roy's reply was quite creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
        No Roy wasn't clever he just doesn't like the way God did things. As usual. The point is the atheist can offer no positive affirmation for human worth or purpose. After all in his world we are just accidental, biological meat puppets born to die...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

After all in his world we are just accidental, biological meat puppets born to die...
          You just don't like the way God did things.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

You just don't like the way God did things.
            Which god are you talking about?

Comment

The point is the atheist can offer no positive affirmation for human worth or purpose. After all in his world we are just accidental, biological meat puppets born to die...
              Even if that's true, so what? If we really are "meat puppets" then what you say about worth and purpose simply follows (within your world-view). The humanist/atheist is not obligated to offer meaning if there is none. It's almost as if you are saying we should believe in God just because it feels nicer. It may do so, but I suspect you are somehow suggesting that the existence or non-existence of those things somehow weighs when deciding what is true.

(For the record, I don't agree that without God we have no worth or purpose, but I'd prefer not to chase that rabbit now.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

Even if that's true, so what? If we really are "meat puppets" then what you say about worth and purpose simply follows (within your world-view). The humanist/atheist is not obligated to offer meaning if there is none. It's almost as if you are saying we should believe in God just because it feels nicer. It may do so, but I suspect you are somehow suggesting that the existence or non-existence of those things somehow weighs when deciding what is true.

(For the record, I don't agree that without God we have no worth or purpose, but I'd prefer not to chase that rabbit now.)
                No, it is not merely about feeling nice - it is about what human beings are by nature. And no, you can not offer a teleology (purpose) for humans from an atheistic world view. That isn't arbitrary.

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference." Richard Dawkins

Comment

No Roy wasn't clever he just doesn't like the way God did things. As usual. The point is the atheist can offer no positive affirmation for human worth or purpose. After all in his world we are just accidental, biological meat puppets born to die...
                  I was just commenting on the subtle literary device he uses. It's a personification of the entire lineage of man. At least that's my interpretation.

Comment

No, it is not merely about feeling nice - it is about what human beings are by nature.
                    Which is what (as applies to worth and purpose)?

And no, you can not offer a teleology (purpose) for humans from an atheistic world view. That isn't arbitrary.

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference." Richard Dawkins
                    He's right about that, but I think he means purpose of the universe, or maybe some kind of ultimate purpose. I'm not sure you can get that from theism either, as far as humans are concerned. God may have same purpose for it all, but it may not include us other than incidentally. On the other hand we have purposes all the time. I'm going to get up and go to the kitchen soon. My purpose is to get something to drink. And worth is a subjective thing. Things have a worth that's assigned to them by thinking beings. What's a dollar bill worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

Which is what (as applies to worth and purpose)?
                      That man is not an accidental being, he was created for a purpose and has worth that transcends changeability and human whims...

He's right about that, but I think he means purpose of the universe, or maybe some kind of ultimate purpose. I'm not sure you can get that from theism either, as far as humans are concerned. God may have same purpose for it all, but it may not include us other than incidentally. On the other hand we have purposes all the time. I'm going to get up and go to the kitchen soon. My purpose is to get something to drink. And worth is a subjective thing. Things have a worth that's assigned to them by thinking beings. What's a dollar bill worth?
                      Right, your purposes would be largely relative and arbitrary. In my view we were created for purpose - to love our fellow man, and to love God and enjoy Him for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                        Humanism is based objectively on the factual evidence of the nature of humanity and our natural physical existence. No problem with this basis for humanism.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Humanism is based objectively on the factual evidence of the nature of humanity and our natural physical existence. No problem with this basis for humanism.
                          But the nature of humanity also includes much selfishness and cruelty - so what are you on about?

Comment

That man is not an accidental being, he was created for a purpose and has worth that transcends changeability and human whims...
                            The scientific view of the origins and history of humanity and the nature of our physical existence is that there are no 'accidents.' Check you dictionary on the definition of 'accident;

Right, your purposes would be largely relative and arbitrary. In my view we were created for purpose - to love our fellow man, and to love God and enjoy Him for ever.
                            Comparing the many diverse and conflicting views of the different religions, divisions and sects in history this represents a largely subjective, relative and arbitrary view of the purpose of the nature of our existence.
                            in history,
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

But the nature of humanity also includes much selfishness and cruelty - so what are you on about?
                              True, from the many religious conflicting perspectives and the rather violent tribal OT view of God 'How about that?'

Apparently from your perspective God determined human 'rather selfish, violent and at tribal war.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-25-2022, 08:21 AM.

Frank

Comment