Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How can we know that God is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I have Brown's The Anchor Bible's The Gospel According to John by him. 2 volumes 1208 pages. While I don't always agree with his analysis he is thorough.
    I see that he favours the idea that John was written by multiple (not a huge number of) authors, with some indication of later minor redaction. The idea seems to fit with the text well enough.

Also, he seems to be not quite the fan of Bultmann.

I wonder what his opinion of Moltmann is ...
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      One final observation with regard to that comment. As we do not have the original source documents for any of these texts we cannot cross reference those later copies with the original document[s]. And we know from the extant MSS that variations exist.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Just how many complete extant manuscripts exist from that time? Once again you throw all of History under the bus whenever it suits your agenda.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      From the fourth century Christian MSS were being produced in increasing numbers although we know from Sinaiticus and Vaticanus that some verses of the canonical gospels that appear in later MSS were not included.

As is so often your habit you somehow managed to not address a simple question, so let's try again: Just how many complete extant manuscripts exist from that time?

Once again you throw all of History under the bus whenever it suits your agenda.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      What time?

You wouldn't have to ask that question if you had bothered to address it the first time rather than doing your usual nonsense.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I see that he favours the idea that John was written by multiple (not a huge number of) authors, with some indication of later minor redaction. The idea seems to fit with the text well enough.

Also, he seems to be not quite the fan of Bultmann.

I wonder what his opinion of Moltmann is ...
        At least in this work Moltmann is not among the Bibliographical Index of Authors so I don't rightly know.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

At least in this work Moltmann is not among the Bibliographical Index of Authors so I don't rightly know.
          Not in his Introduction to the New Testament either.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Thank you for demonstrating that you never specified a specific period in history. So I ask again, to "what time" were you referring?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You need to spell these things out when context is meaningless to the addressee.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That the methodology and findings of the historical critical method are valid is a claim. One does not simply accept claims without investigation.
                The Historical Critical Method is valid as a methodology in and of itself, as is the Scientific Method valid as a methodology in and of itself.

another claim that needs to be verified for veracity, and on a case by case basis.
                It can be reasonably assumed that legitimate historians practice their discipline objectively – as do scientists. It’s in their own professional interest to do so.

IMO Ehrman is a very good historian but he is no theologian,
                Theology is the study of the nature of God and has no legitimate place in the objective study of history

“He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

The Historical Critical Method is valid as a methodology in and of itself, as is the Scientific Method valid as a methodology in and of itself.

It can be reasonably assumed that legitimate historians practice their discipline objectively – as do scientists. It’s in their own professional interest to do so.

Theology is the study of the nature of God and has no legitimate place in the objective study of history

With reference to your last remark it should also be remembered that while theology consists of attempts to extract from texts deemed to be sacred the nature and import of divine revelation, that this can vary considerably between the advocates of particular religious persuasions.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Thank you for demonstrating that you never specified a specific period in history. So I ask again, to "what time" were you referring?
                    My God you are dense. Thick as a brick as the saying goes.

Comment

Why is it that when some of you are unable to present a reasoned and cogent answer you adopt the behaviour of ten year olds in the play-yard?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The empty tomb exemplifies the Resurrection so I'm not sure what your point is.
                          Wow, like maybe someone removed the body would be the logical assumption even in a fictional account like the bible...

Paul's focus was on post-Resurrection so I'm not sure what your point is.
                          Paul was all about resurrection, so pointing out any evidence to support his claim would be logical... oh wait, Paul was anything BUT rational. more like a raving lunatic...

Funny how that seems too much for you to grasp.
                          Stop bragging about yourself and your IQ of 20....

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post

Wow, like maybe someone removed the body would be the logical assumption even in a fictional account like the bible...

Paul was all about resurrection, so pointing out any evidence to support his claim would be logical... oh wait, Paul was anything BUT rational. more like a raving lunatic...

Stop bragging about yourself and your IQ of 20....
                            This isn't Reddit. We generally have higher expectations of argumentation around here.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Wow, like nobody ever thought of that possibility in the past 2000 years! You are so amazing LM to come up with such a unique approach.

Get back to me when you can suggest something that hasn't been beaten into a fine pink mist.

Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                              You mean like the opening to I Corinthians 15? And when we look at Acts, we can see that this message was one that Paul taught wherever he went.

During his first missionary journey, Paul preached Jesus’s resurrection and used the appearances to the disciples to substantiate that resurrection (Acts 13:26-31). Jesus’ resurrection featured prominently in Paul’s preaching in Thessalonica (Acts 17:3), Athens (17:31), and Corinth (note how I Corinthians 15:1 makes it clear Paul is repeating what he taught when he was there a couple of years earlier).

Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                              Whatever you say Peewee.

Comment

Why is it that when some of you are unable to present a reasoned and cogent answer you adopt the behaviour of ten year olds in the play-yard?
                                The answer is plain for all to see in the post where I showed the course of the conversation. Look at the first post in the chain (yours) and the part I underlined.

Comment