Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How can we know that God is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm sure your repeatedly referring to H_A using "his" and "him" will be much appreciated.

She has a history of letting her brand of mysticism slip out around the cracks several times.[list][*] "we do not know if any of Jesus’ alleged disciples and followers mentioned in those actually existed"
    Quite an amusing little thread, that one.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Your first sentence is basically a denial
      My first sentence in that reply is a question.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      ​Your second sentence tacitly recognizes that your initial denial was spurious at best and sought to justify what you previously implied didn't exist.
      Applying your argument and given that Harry Potter only appears in J K Rowling's novels should we assume he did/does actually exist?

​Your third sentence brings up someone not mentioned. Attempt to distract and deflect?
      An example of claims without any supporting evidence.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

If this miraculous event occurred why did no one else observe it and leave us their comment upon it?
        Right, you reject the four independent accounts we have about Jesus life, death, and resurrection, but if just one more source happened to mention it, all your doubts would suddenly vanish.

Who do you think you're kidding?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Right, you reject the four independent accounts we have about Jesus life, death, and resurrection, but if just one more source happened to mention it, all your doubts would suddenly vanish.

Don't forget that Paul also confirmed it in his letters.

Once again it appears that I need to point out that there is so little that remains of writings from the first century A.D., it is impossible to know what was and what wasn't recorded. Or as the renowned historian and Biblical academic, Edward Musgrave Blaiklock, chair of classics at the University of Auckland for over 20 years, described what we have from the entire first century in his Jesus Christ: Man or Myth?:

"Bookends set a foot apart on this desk where I write would enclose the works from those significant years."
          Last edited by rogue06; 05-15-2022, 10:21 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My first sentence in that reply is a question.
            A denial and challenge in the form of questions.

Did I? Where?

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Applying your argument and given that Harry Potter only appears in J K Rowling's novels should we assume he did/does actually exist?
            Never a good sign when someone can only respond with something obvious irrelevant and off-topic.

More attempts to distract and deflect?

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            An example of claims without any supporting evidence.
            And I thought your last statement obvious irrelevant and off-topic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Did I? Where?

Never a good sign when someone can only respond with something obvious irrelevant and off-topic.

More attempts to distract and deflect?

And I thought your last statement obvious irrelevant and off-topic.
              There were hostile witnesses who claimed that Jesus of Nazareth actually existed, actually performed miracles, and actually was crucified. I don't recall any witnesses - even sympathetic ones - coming forward to claim that Harry Potter actually existed. Moreover, the original copies clearly state that the work is fiction.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Once again it appears that I need to point out that there is so little that remains of writings from the first century A.D., it is impossible to know what was and what wasn't recorded. Or as the renowned historian and Biblical academic, Edward Musgrave Blaiklock, chair of classics at the University of Auckland for over 20 years, described what we have from the entire first century in his Jesus Christ: Man or Myth?:

"Bookends set a foot apart on this desk where I write would enclose the works from those significant years."
                Yeah, but who knows if Paul really existed? For that matter, maybe the Bible itself doesn't really exist is just a figment of our collective imaginations.

Comment

These are literary embellishments and they contradict one another.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Paul describes seeing a figure. He never mentions tombs, angels/young men, or earthquakes. All that came later.

Whatever Paul imagined he saw was not real but a figment of his imagination.

Dead bodies remain dead.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You never provided any evidence.

A figure unattested anywhere else appears in a literary account.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yeah, but who knows if Paul really existed? For that matter, maybe the Bible itself doesn't really exist is just a figment of our collective imaginations.
                        I accept that someone wrote those letters and he called himself Paul and that he established various sects around parts of the eastern Roman empire, albeit at some distance from Jerusalem.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Paul describes seeing a figure. He never mentions tombs, angels/young men, or earthquakes. All that came later.
                          For the angels and earthquake are part of the foundational teaching, which Paul's letters do not address. He does however, mention Jesus being buried - and the passage where he does so is explicitly declared to be a recap.

Whatever Paul imagined he saw was not real but a figment of his imagination.
                          The queen of unfounded speculation has spoken.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

These are literary embellishments and they contradict one another.
                            Yeah, yeah, we've been over this before, and you use these supposed "embellishments" and "contradictions" as an excuse to dismiss the points where the gospels unambiguously agree (for instance, they all agree that Jesus was crucified, buried, and rose from the dead).

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It would be kind of hard to make a case that a person is not a mythicist when he declares that the accounts are mythical embellishment, even when the he is a she.
                              Whether he or she, are you saying all secular academic historians are mythicists? ALL the miraculous and supernatural claims by ALL the ancient and contemporary religions are not accepted by secular academic historians. They are described historically as 'religious beliefs' and not concluded that they are true nor false claims.

I am uncertain as to how the accusation of mythicist' has any constructive meaning here, and it needs further explanation.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Whether he or she, are you saying all secular academic historians are mythicists? ALL the miraculous and supernatural claims by ALL the ancient and contemporary religions are not accepted by secular academic historians. They are described historically as 'religious beliefs' and not concluded that they are true nor false claims.

I am uncertain as to how the accusation of mythicist' has any constructive meaning here, and it needs further explanation.
                                Which part of "all secular academic historians" relates to "person who declares the accounts are mythical"?

or even to

"There is a large pool of eminent theologians of the mythicist stamp ..."?
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment